Doom

→ in
Tools    

Only give your opinion if you've seen the movie please....

Here is mine...

It was an ok movie for people who like these kinds of movies. The main problem with the movie was the story line. They totally changed it, and made it worse. Much worse. The game had a great story line and they basicly decided to throw that out the window and do something totally different. This did a few things....

Less types of interesting monsters....
Less visual effects.....
More generic story line you've seen in countless zombie movies...

Maybe they didn't have the money to afford the effects it would require to the real Doom story. I don't know. But in any case it made the movie less interesting, and lacking in the eye candy I would expect from a Doom movie that lived up to the games reputation.

Also I hated the first person view scene. Great for the game, but not for a movie. It disabled me from being absorbed in the movie like you should be able to. If I want a first person view, I'll go play the game again.

District B13
Question please.

Was the flaslight or gun effect in the movie. The best part about the game was being forced to switch between the two in key situations.

I think I might see this for the fp view all along, but I might not see it. But I do need some more tomatoemeter reviews.

POV shots are like the most common and important shots in any films. I havn't seen Doom, but criticising saying a POV shots stops you from being absorbed into a film is stupid, they allow you to have a character's perspective on events and seeing through their eyes does absorb you into the film as you can emphasis with them a lot more. But as i said, i havn't seen Doom, that's just a general opinion.

District B13
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
POV shots are like the most common and important shots in any films. I havn't seen Doom, but criticising saying a POV shots stops you from being absorbed into a film is stupid, they allow you to have a character's perspective on events and seeing through their eyes does absorb you into the film as you can emphasis with them a lot more. But as i said, i havn't seen Doom, that's just a general opinion.
POV shots may be important (I assume you mean FPview) and they may do a best job in conveying a point.

But, when has a movie used these shots to the extreme like Doom has? Never, so we don't know if it's a good idea.

One thing I did notice is that the animations from Doom 3 weapons are in the first person view at least, and they were surreal.

Ah well, better give the rock a go, he was good in Be Cool and the Rundown.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
Was the flaslight or gun effect in the movie. The best part about the game was being forced to switch between the two in key situations.
The flashlights are on the guns.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I can agree a First Person View can be pulled off well in movies. The way they did it wasn't really for a way to make you see what the character saw, and to feel all tense and such. They made it look like you were playing the game, and that's obviously what they were shooting for. Basicly he ran around and shot a bunch of monsters with the gun only showing. It wasn't done well at all. It wasn't done to build a sense of anything or to make you feel like your there. Well if it was supposed to make you feel like you were there, then they didn't pull it off well IMO.

You'd have to see the movie to see what I mean.

District B13
Originally Posted by Sleezy
The flashlights are on the guns.
How sad.

The flashlight/gun switch in the game is what changed the game from being another scary game to it's own brand.

All those flashlight mods are for pussies, btw, if you use them.

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
I've seen that clip before, and I thought the bit they showed us went on too long (became repetitive too quickly). How long is it in the film?
I'm not sure exactly how long it was, but it was too long that's for sure.

Saw this over the weekend with my son. It was about what I expected: mostly action and average acting. "Karl Urban" did a nice job as Grimm. Reading IMDB I see that Rock turned down this role in order to play the role of "Sarge" I wonder if that would have changed the actress who played the Samantha character (Ms Pike) as she would not really pass for a twin sister in this instance. Reguardless as a player of the game it really was not that bad of a movie, nothing great, but a solid B- film for me. If you went in expecting great acting and an original plot then you should have not gone in.

Ok, first off, I haven't seen the film but I do intend to as I was quite a fan of the original Doom all the way up until Ultimate Doom on the PC. I can however comment on the use of the first person view in the film. For those who aren't fans of the game or don't know some history behind first person shooters (ie: Counterstrike, Halo, Goldeneye, Wolfenstein), this 'gimmick' might come across as rather pointless and uneffective but the director, in that respect, did the right thing. Doom was in fact the very game that introduced (or a few would at least recognize the fact that it first made it popular) this style of gameplay and forever revolutionized an entire genre that still stands significantly strong even today. This may not work per se in the context of strictly film but as an homage, Doom fans would definitely appreciate such a novelty. I just wanted to say that.

District B13
I agree with God's Lone Wolf on all counts except for the first popular fps comment.

The first popular fps was wolfenstein.

Robot-Hitler is the best boss in vg history.

Originally Posted by Mcygee
Only give your opinion if you've seen the movie please....

Dont Mess With The BFG
I personally thought that the movie was pretty average, but when I went with my friends to watch this movie, none of us played the game hehe so we thought it was a really good movie. I decided to read about the main plot of the Doom games and was a little disappointed with the movie after. I searched up the movie on imdb and looked at the quotes. I looked at when the Rock picked up the BFG, it was named the BFG3000 but in the game it's the BFG9000 so I was disappointed even more. They really made ALOT of changes in between the movie and the game. Even though I never played the game I do know what it's about. So they could've made the movie a little more based on the game.

Originally Posted by 7thson
Saw this over the weekend with my son. It was about what I expected: mostly action and average acting.
Saw it today. 2.5/5 The acting wasn't bad with the Rock being the weakest. I'm not that familiar with Doom, only played it a couple of times, but the brother and sister were good. The characters sometimes surprised me and weren't always eliminated in the order I suspected.

The first 30 minutes, before the mutants appeared, was pretty scary. Not knowing what to expect is always more scary than after the event. After seeing the mutants, it wasn't that scary.

I liked the 24 chromosome angle and how that played out at the end. And it left room for a sequel, should Doom do well enough to warrant one.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Good movie.

The plot didn't stick much too the game, which in my opinion is a rather good thing. A very good thing. For those who had played the game before, seeing the movie would be too predictable.

I loved the special affects, they were outstanding. Not as good as some movies, though I have to say they were decent enough to sit through the movie.

My favorite part had to be the beginning. A lot of suspense going on as to why they were running, what was after them, and why the hell the Doctor ripped his own ear off?

I hope to see a sequal, as the game series continued to advance in it's graphics, story and consoles.

I See You When You're Sleeping
You know what? I really enjoyed this movie.

I think it's because you know what you're getting before you watch. The only problem I have is how odd it'll seem for non-doom-type players to sit through the POV scene. Without prior 'in-Knowledge' of said gaming experience, I don't think it'll be appreciated enough to synch in with the rest of the movie. Saying that, I'm wondering if non doom-type playing audiences will see this?

I See You When You're Sleeping
I thought you were a fan of Doom Nebbit? I'm sure I read somewhere that you loved it so much you got a doom-cake for your birthday and clean up with doom mops.

Don't Cha? Don't Cha Baby? Don't you think....

I'm sorry.

Originally Posted by MinionTV
I thought you were a fan of Doom Nebbit? I'm sure I read somewhere that you loved it so much you got a doom-cake for your birthday and clean up with doom mops.

Don't Cha? Don't Cha Baby? Don't you think....
I don't remember saying I was a player