The Devil's Rejects

→ in
Tools    

The Devil's Rejects

I saw it on sunday, without having seen Zombie's first flick. It's enjoyable enough, nothing stands out as clever except for a minor editing trick they use to present parts of the movie as a sort of slide show. Other than that it has an old-fashioned charm to it but it's not great, certainly not worth 3 stars (I might not even give it two). You can predict the ending from the opening credits and even the ironic flashes of scenes from other movies (at least one of which lifted still breathing in its entirety from 'The Shining'), or burlesqued pop-culture references seem a bit stale.

A fun matinee or maybe a rental, but it certainly ain't dethroning 'Return of the Living Dead' any time soon.

I saw it last night, it was not as nasty as the first. It's definitly a rental but not worth $8.50. The plot was way better though

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
Well, then go see it and review it for me!
We poor blighters in Blighty don't get to see it yet...

Send me cash to see it and I'll review it. Here's a preview:

"IT STINKS!"
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I've seen House of 1000 Corpses (the unrated screener mind you)and I thought it was a little over the top. Then I got a chance to ponder in and out of Rob Zombie's follow-up (not sequel) The Devil's Rejects while working, and it totally turned me off. It's just plain ol' sh*t.

Originally Posted by linespalsy
It's enjoyable enough.... it has an old-fashioned charm to it ....A fun matinee....
Are you sure you aren't talking about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
... yes, my jaw dropped.

Bummer that your parents spent all that money on braces and look how things turned out.

I'll say this: They can do wonders with retainers these days. You might want to look into it.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I already have a whoopie cushion and fake vampire fangs, but I don't have the fake chattering teeth yet. DO keep me posted on any developments.

Yo She Bi*ch, lets go.
I was highly disappointed with house of 1000 corpses, but Rob Zombie promised to start of with a clean slat and make this movie much better, according to what I saw on T.V. I wouldn't jump at the gun so fast to say this movie sucks because you could be seriously wrong, but don't get your hopes up ether.
I'm glad to see my favorite character from 1000 corpses still balling in the mix, Spaulding, the crazy chicken eating clown . He made the first movie worth viewing in my opinion.
Other wise, 1000 corpse was just rubbish. Have you ever paid attention to what Otis says while he is talking to the chopped up people in his room? He is making no sense.
I'm sorry if this is a noob question but from what I hear this movie is a sequel. Others tell me different. You guys are the experts so can you fill me in? Thanks in advanced.

-TheButcher

I am the Nightrider!
"The Devil's Rejects," the sequel to "House of 1000 Corpses," is a very good movie, and very powerful!

"Rejects" basically picks up a few months after the events in "Corpses" where Sheriff Wydell (a terrific William Forsythe) leads an all out revenge siege (enraged over his brother's death in "Corpses") against the Firefly family whom we were in-depthly introduced to in the previous film. After the attack on the Firefly household, Mother Firefly (now played by Leslie Easterbrook, superbly I might add) is taken into custody, Tiny (Matthew McGrory) is wondering about in the deep woods, Rufus (now played by Tyler Mane) is killed in action, and Otis & Baby (Bill Moseley and Sheri Moon) escape with their lives. Meanwhile, Captain Spaulding (the always great Sid Haig) is his crazy old self until the police realize that he is indeed involved with the Firefly family. He then skips town to reunite with Otis and Baby.

Otis and Baby then take a local country band hostage and torment the living hell out of them (I will not give away any gore and scare elements here). On the road, Spaulding calls a very close friend of his, low-rent pimp Charlie Altamont (Ken Foree) in which his brothel will be the Rejects' hideout. Spaulding then reunites with his two Reject members and they're brought to Altamont's brothel for some intoxicating times and safety.

But Sheriff Wydell grows more and more insane as he becomes obsessed with not just destroying the Firefly clan, but making them suffer, in an extremely sadistic manner. He interrogates Mother Firefly, and she gives him nothing except more fuel (you might recall her being the fault of his brother's death in the first film). Wydell then hires two scuzzy bounty hunters (Danny Trejo and Dallas Page) to track the Firefly clan down. The trackers find Altamont and Wydell gives him an offer he can't refuse, the Firefly's or his life. Altamont is the "Lando" of this movie.

I'm gonna stop here, but let me say that Zombie has proved himself a director here. You can possibly say that he took a Tarantino class in directing, but in a more horrific way, enough where Zombie has his own stamp on it. The film is well crafted, well put together and has a great sense of horror and crime drama. Much credit is also given to Zombie for his use of legendary horror and pop culture character actors from the 70s and 80s: Mary Woronov, P.J. Soles, Ken Foree, Steve Railsback, Geoffrey Lewis, Priscilla Barnes, Elizabeth Daily, Michael Berryman and Leslie Easterbrook. Zombie also achieves what Oliver Stone achieved with "Natural Born Killers", making us like characters that we shouldn't give a rat's ass about, deadly murderers.

William Forsythe brings an intense performance to the screen as the relentlessly obsessive Sherrif Wydell, as does Leslie Easterbrook who practically steals the Mother character away from Karen Black's portrayal in the first film. She's completely out of her mind and totally believable, a far stretch from her role of the highly lusted-after Callahan in the "Police Academy" movies.

The leads are great too, Sheri Moon is sexual eye-candy and completely off her rocker, Sid Haig is fantastic (however I think his performance in "Corpses" outdoes his performance here) but Bill Moseley is an evil, repugnant ****er from hell, his Otis is in top-form and Moseley clearly shows us that he his a highly-underrated talent and a gift to the world of horror.

The classic 70s soundtrack is fitting and used cleverly...great film all around.

***1/2
-UJ

What did I call this earlier??? Oh yeah, a piece of sh*t! I hope Rob Zombie doesn't do another film like it. I live in Texas, and this Rob Zombie follow up (not a sequel) to House of 1000 Corpses has been getting some buisness for quite awhile. No offense, but southern moviegoers must like sick filth.

I loved this movie, it wasn't perfect but it was really well made, Rob Zombie has some talent (it isnt music) and i loved the ending.

Originally Posted by jrs
No offense, but southern moviegoers must like sick filth.
So you liked it? Me too!

My initial thought was that the energy created was rather the reverse of perhaps what one would expect. Traditionally, we root for the good guys and despise the bad guys. The atmosphere in Devil's Rejects is just so surreal that the viewer is juxtaposed into seeing the cops as the bad guys for trying to stop the Firefly clan.

There is a lot that I like about this film. For starters, I like what I'll call the Siren Effect that's a core character attribute of Baby (Sheri Moon). She's completely devoid of emotion, she's capable, she's vulnerable, she's damn good at reeling in the suckers and if not for her acting as the honeypot the clan would be short a lot of victims. I think she plays the part well. She's annoying as hell but, again, part of the charm.

Otis, the proverbial badass, is one I could live without. There is never really any character development of Otis. He just does the killing to the greatest degree.

The character of Captain Spaulding is probably my favorite. All of the others seem to be a product of their environment, but Spaulding seems to know that what he's doing is wrong yet chooses to delight in it. I have to admit, Haig's gleeful execution of this character had me in stitches despite the oft unpleasant nature of his actions. Again, it's simply too surreal to assign the concept of 'reality' to it.

Final thing. I LOVE William Forsythe. I've never seen him take on a role that disappointed me, and have, in fact, even willingly sat through a Steven Segal flick just to see Forsythe do what he does best. His portrayal of Sheriff Wydell in this film is easily one of my favorites by him as he integrates a wonky sense of justice, a misled religious perspective RE: himself as God's apointee to weed out the wicked with the usual spit and swagger that makes him perfect for roles like this.

Add in fun performances by Danny Trejo, Geoffrey Lewis, Priscilla Barnes and Brian Posehn and IMHO you've got a pretty solid way to entertain your dark side for a few hours.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
House of 1,000 Corpses was said to bring back the old golden age of horror. After many visits to the MPAA they movie was pushed back a few years. Then when it finally came out, the hype surrounding it ended up being disappointment. Zombie now with more experience behind the camera and with the pen, gives us a sequel to Corpses which is as brutal as Hollywood will ever get.

Where Zombie went wrong with Corpses, he does right in Rejects. No more do we have Dr. Satan, instead we are centred on the core characters of, the insane Otis, the beautiful Baby and the funny man Captain Spaulding. Zombie manages to up the suspense, the story, directing, acting, and of course the gore.

Now I'm not saying that this is a masterpiece of cinema, it's far from it. Although, what Rejects does do is make you feel sick and disgusted with what is on the screen. Exactly what Zombie set out to do. Is it the most brutal movie ever? Of course not, but for Hollywood standards it reaches the extreme level. The film itself seems more gritty and violent because of the grainy film that Zombie uses.

Zombie uses many different techniques in this film, including freeze framing and in a star wars like cutting, slicing to the next scene. With talent in music videos and his debut film, Zombie is able to better himself here. He knows what to shoot now and what not to shoot. With Rejects, Zombie doesn't have the pressure of trying to impress or re-create the genre that he once said he would, instead he is able to focus on what's important.

Rejects has a super-star cast of another kind. No big Hollywood names here, but prominent people in the business nonetheless. From the likes of Diamond Dallas Page and Michael Berryman to the cute E.G.Daily, who does the voice of Tommy of the kids show Rugrats.

The use of music fits perfectly in this film. Freebird is the perfect way to end the film, which changes in sync with the film. Th Allman Brothers Midnight Rider flows wonderful with the freeze framing on the opening credits.

Upon a first impression, I thought that the psychos went on a murder spree throughout the country, now though this is true, the spree isn't as big as one would imagine. After a brutal hotel encounter, the family hide out at Spauldings brother place, where the cops came at them. After that, it's just torture from the lead cop and a great ending. So murder spree gone, this film still has enough shock moments to keep you interested.

Zombie makes a ferocious picture with the aid of a great cast and beautiful music. The film is sadistic and and throat gripping. If you're not a fan of grind house or torture in films, then you might want to skip this carnage. If you're a horror movie fan and love to see the massive slaughter of people, then without a doubt, check out this disturbing little film.

8/10

Suspect's Reviews

I am extremely bias in regards to this film as it is my favorite movie of all time. Where to begin? First of all, it is the most raw, real, brutal, heartbreaking, and entertaining character study to come along in a long time. The Firefly family as well as Sheriff John Q. Wydell are developed so well and are absolutely mesmerizing from start to finish. On the surface, the plot seems so simple, but there is so much more going on. This film is about anger, hate, revenge, self realization, and redemption and the brutal wake up call these things can provide us with in life as well as the end they can lead us to. Rob Zombie put this film together so beautifully in a very gritty and realistic way which serves to pull you even deeper into the world of the Rejects. The music fits the era and story so much better than the last film and the ending for me personally is one of the most breathtaking in the history of cinema. When I read the first reviews of this film, it recieved an average grade of a C. People either love it, or hate it. They either understand exactly what Zombie was going for, or they don't. For those who do, The Devil's Rejects is a ride into Hell, but a ride you find yourself wanting to take again and again to see how the other side lives and what that means to us.

GRADE: A+

House of 1000 Corpses was good in its own way. But the Devil's Rejects was one of the best movies of the year. What a great shock to the horror film industry. This movie is what horror fans have been waiting for. Out of all the horror film that are being made today this is the one movie that goes both old school and with some of the new. Overall it had a outstanding storyline unlike House of 1000 Corpses. The cast was one of the best in a very long time. If you are a true horror fan, then this movie is for you.

Yes, I found the movie brilliant beginning to end.Also the music picked was very well done.I found House of a 1,000 corpses to be a waste ofmy time.Felt like the only thing zombie was trying to do is to try to shock us but with "Devils Rejects" he was not.

Didn't see House of a 1000 Corpses and we went to see T.D.R ad didn't understand a thing that was goin on.... wasn't too impressed i'm afraid

-Chris