Best Films of 2012

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
18. The Master 1/10
Why so low? I haven't seen the movie, but I don't think it's so bad it deserves 1/10. I understand that you might not like Amour and thus rated it 5, but why do you grant the worst note to The Master?

Why so low? I haven't seen the movie, but I don't think it's so bad it deserves 1/10. I understand that you might not like Amour and thus rated it 5, but why do you grant the worst note to The Master?
Part of your answer lies here.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...d.php?p=876824

I really need to see Amour. I've avoided it partly because it does sound heartbreaking and partly because I don't rate Heneke as much as most people do. But i'm definitely going to seek it out once I get the chance. But before that, The Hunt

Still need to see a few, but here's how I see the year at this point:

1. THE MASTER (Paul Thomas Anderson)

2. DJANGO UNCHAINED (Quentin Tarantino)

3. LIFE OF PI (Ang Lee)
+
4. LOOPER (Rian Johnson)

5. SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (David O. Russell)

6. MOONRISE KINGDOM (Wes Anderson)

7. THE HUNGER GAMES (Gary Ross)

8. WRECK-IT RALPH (Rich Moore)

9. ZERO DARK THIRTY (Kathryn Bigelow)

10. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (Christopher Nolan)
-

Also liked:

BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD (Benh Zeitlin)

ARGO (Ben Affleck)

LINCOLN (Steven Spielberg)

TED (Seth MacFarlane)

THE SESSIONS (Ben Lewin)

SHAME (Steve McQueen)

SIDE BY SIDE (Christopher Kenneally)

THE AVENGERS (Joss Whedon)
-
SLEEPWALK WITH ME (Mike Birbiglia)
-

To see: Les Miserables, Amour, The Impossible, Flight.

Movie Forums Extra
Like crazy,take shelter.

I still need to see Dredd, Life of Pi, Lincoln, and Cloud Atlas. But from what I did see:

Django unchained for sureeeeee the best movie of the year which was surprising to me since I thought the hobbit was going to nail it.

In my opinion the best movie of 2012 was Avengers

Top 14 films of 2012

1. Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson)
2. The Avengers (Joss Whedon)
3. Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino)
4. The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson)
5. Holy Motors (Leos Carax)

6. Looper (Rian Johnson)
7. Killing Them Softly (Andrew Dominik)
8. Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow)
9. Berberian Sound Studio (Peter Strickland)
10. Killer Joe (William Friedkin)
11. Silver Linings Playbook (David O. Russell)
12. Amour (Michael Haneke)
13. Side by Side (Christopher Kenneally)
14. Cabin in the Woods (Drew Goddard)

Django Unchained and Dark Knight Rises. And please don't kill me, but Avengers were below average

There are still many films that were released last year and that I haven't seen yet, especially critically acclaimed ones (such as Moonrise Kingdom, The Avengers, The Master, Amour, Beasts of the Southern Wild etc.), so for now I'd say I'm only able to form a top 5, and my top 5 would be:

1- Django Unchained

2- Argo

3- Life of Pi

4- Silver Linings Playbook

5- Zero Dark Thirty / Skyfall

1 - Headhunters

2 - The Master

3 - Prometheus

4 - Django Unchained

5 - Cloud Atlas

6 - Chronicle

7 - The Cabin In The Woods

8 - Wreck It Ralph

9 - The Hobbit

10 - Flight

I still need to see a lot of 2012 movies. I'm always late to the party.

1. Amour

2. The Master

3. Moonrise Kingdom

4. Holy Motors

5. Django Unchained

6. Bernie

7. Wrong

8. The Raid: Redemption

9. Cosmopolis

10. The Dark Knight Rises

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Suspect's Top Films

10. Side By Side

Great insight from those in the industry about the process of working with photochemical film and the new wave of digital filmmaking. Both sides are given equal opportunity to give the pros and cons.

9. Wreck it Ralph & Looper

Wreck-It-Ralph and Looper tie for the 9th spot. Both films create a unique world, set up the rules and follow through with them. The second half of both feel a bit different than the initial set up, but deliver on what was promised.

8. Skyfall

James Bond is back and better than ever. Beautifully shot with great stakes given to the supporting characters. Bardem seems to be having a fun time with the villain role and the action set pieces are entertaining enough.

7. Moonrise Kingdom

A welcomed addition to the list of Wes Anderson films. Quirky and just the right amount of weird you'd expect from Anderson. It took me awhile to get into the style and story, but once I was in, I was enthralled till the end.

6. Les Miserables

A lot of people are hating on the directorial choices here, but I was game from the get-go. I think Hooper took a lot of chances with this film and while not all of them pay off, enough do it to make the #6 spot.

5. The Dark Knight Rises

Epic in scope and would never meet those expectations. Despite being an excellent film above and beyond, the problems seem more apparent than any other entry. Bane is a great villain, Bale gives his best Wayne performance and it was a fitting ending to the saga.

4. The Avengers

While The Dark Knight Rises is what comic book films could be, The Avengers is what comic book films should be. A fun wild ride that should have failed, but managed to blow many expectations away. Joss Whedon managed to capture every aspect he needed to. Bravo.

3. Argo

The Best Picture winner that is well deserved. Affleck brings the 70's back to the big screen with a tense thriller with next to no action. Solid performances, writing and direction make this film a must watch.

2. The Cabin in the Woods

The most fun I've had in the theatre in years. A thrill ride from start to finish. Im a huge fan of the genre and loved the winks and nods to other films. Joss Whedon had an excellent year.

1. Cloud Atlas

Beautifully messy. Cloud Atlas was unlike anything else I saw this year. It's not perfect, but that's what makes it perfect.

Honourable Mention:

Seven Psychopaths, Jiro Dreams of Sushi, The Imposter

The Worst Films of the Year

5. ATM

3 people get stuck in an ATM shelter by a crazed lunatic. What makes this film utter trash is all the convenient circumstance that had to take place for any of this to even remotely work. The ending is even more bizarre when you stop to actually think about it. Interesting concepts that are never fully realized make the worst horror films, since they have some interesting potential and fall flat on their face. ATM falls flat and never manages to get back up.

4. That's My Boy

Adam Sandler has fallen far from the tree, which was never really high to begin with. His last few films simply showcase Sander being himself, a regular guy with lots of money and a sense of humour. That's My Boy has Sandler channelling his 'character' side and unfortunately his audience has seem to grown up and left him behind. That's My Boy is painfully unfunny and throws in some sick twisted incest humour that never gets any laughs. Sandler doing weird voices is so 90's.

3. Resident Evil: Retribution

What number is this one? When your film has to take ten minutes to recap the previous films you know you're in trouble. Here is another useless entry and serves no purpose other than to make a few quick bucks. What story developments happen? None. Much like the last entry, the last 5 minutes manages to move the story a few feet in one direction. All that crap that came before it was a visual orgasm and an eyesore at the same time. The Resident Evil films are dead and unlike the characters, should have stayed dead.

2. Piranha 3DD

How the hell is this not number one? Why the hell did I go to see this trash? Reasonable questions. I really liked Aja's entry and this one is painfully lacking all the thrills, gore, humour and fun. Obscene amounts of nudity at a water park? Yawn. The film is about 70 minutes, with ten minutes of credits, ten minutes of underwater 'swim' moments and ten minutes of screams. Useless beyond imagination. Even if you're looking for a bad film to enjoy, skip this crap.

1. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Why is this number one and not Piranha 3DD? For the simple fact that this film has something going for it, Piranha had nothing. Ghost Rider stars Nic Cage in which he takes the character, makes him alien like and boring. The special effects are neat, but that's about it. This film is WEIRD, even by comic book standards. While the first was your typical hollywood fare, this entry is nothing of the sorts. It pains me to think about the scenes in this film. I usually give Cage a pass on the account that I'm a huge fan, but even I have my limits.

Suspect's Reviews

Seeing as I saw a lot of 2012 films, here's my ratings:

Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino)

Holy Motors (Leos Carax)

The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson)

Killing Them Softly (Andrew Dominik)

Looper (Rian Johnson)

Life of Pi (Ang Lee)

Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson)
+
Lincoln (Steven Spielberg)
+
Skyfall (Sam Mendes)
+
Argo (Ben Affleck)

Frankenweenie (Tim Burton)

Ted (Seth MacFarlane)
-
Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow)
+
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! (Peter Lord, Jeff Newitt)
+
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Peter Jackson)
+
The Dark Knight Rises (Christopher Nolan)

Brave (Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman, Steve Purcell)

Avengers Assemble (Joss Whedon)

Les Misérables (Tom Hooper)

The Amazing Spider-Man (Marc Webb)
-
Flight (Robert Zemeckis)
-
Wreck-It Ralph (Rich Moore)
+
Beasts of the Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin)
+
The Expendables 2 (Simon West)

ParaNorman (Chris Butler, Sam Fell)

Men in Black 3 (Barry Sonnenfeld)

Project X (Nima Nourizadeh)

Hotel Transylvania (Genndy Tartakovsky)
+
Snow White and the Huntsman (Rupert Sanders)
+
Taken 2 (Olivier Megaton)

Also films that were released in 2012 but IMDB has them as 2011:

The Cabin in the Woods (Drew Goddard)
+
The Grey (Joe Carnahan)

Killer Joe (William Friedkin)

Jeff, Who Lives at Home (Jay Duplass, Mark Duplass)

Haven't watched much from 2012 but I guess my current favorite is a movie that wasn't released in 2012 in the west. I also haven't watched PTA's The Master. I haven't watched much from 2012.

My ranking of 2012 movies I have watched until now would be:

1 - Wolf Children (it's an anime film heavily influenced by Miyazaki, though it has its own flavor)
2 - Django Unchained
3 - Chronicle
4 - Prometheus
5 - The Dark Knight Rises
6 - The Grey
7 - The Avengers
8 - Skyfall
9 - Get the Gringo
10 - Argo
11 - 21 Jump Street
12 - The Hobbit
13 - John Carter
14 - The Dictator
15 - Lockout
16 - Men in Black 3
17 - The Hunger Games
18 - Brave (worst Pixar movie I ever watched)
19 - That's My Boy
20 - Battleship

The last two are quite below the standards of the other 18.

I have only seen 15 films from 2012 and the only ones that i am really excited about is Holy Motors and The Act of Killing...

1. Holy Motors
2. The Act of Killing
3. Django Unchained
4. Killer Joe
5. Ashes
6. Moonrise Kingdom
7. Argo
8. Prometheus
9. The Raid: Redemption
10. The Cabin in the Woods
11. The Dark Knight Rises
12. Cosmopolis