The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Have seen so far: 21 - Happy Gilmore - One of the best Adam Sandler movies out there and glad it made the list
Have not seen so far: 17

I have not seen Clerks

My Ballot so far

#8 - The Hangover (2009)
#11 - Step Brothers (2008)
#17 - Mean Girls (2004)
#21 - Happy Gilmore (1996)

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

And so the streak is broken - I've seen 66-100 but never seen Black Dynamite (2009). Should I?
Quoted for truth.

15 or 20 years earlier and I think Clerks might've made my list. OK, it almost certainly would've. But I've not seen it since the late 90's/maybe early 00's and even when I loved it, it felt like a film I'd one look back on nostalgically, still like, but love the memory and not the film itself. Back then, much like Linklater and Tarantino, Smith was someone who made a tiny little film with almost no money and yet managed to get it out to the world. Every wannabe director, writer or artist of any kind I knew back then was given hope by these men and those first films.

In what'll be a huge surprise to some of you, Happy Gilmore isn't a film I hate and, let's be honest, that's probably an even bigger surprise to you than the fact I've seen it. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember that I got bored by the end but that for the first 45-60 minutes, I was actually enjoying an Adam Sandler film without Drew Barrymore. As I said, it went off at the end for whatever reason (because I can't remember it) but liking it till then did make me take a risk and check out Billy Madison... Safe to say normal service was resumed.

I have great affection for Clerks. My experience was quite similar to this film. There was little adult supervision were I worked and more teens and twenty-somethings working there than the poor lone clerk in this film. It was a social life in and of itself. So shout out to the framers and salespeople of Kent Studios and The Left Bank. Those were fun times. I actually watched this in the last year of two. Still enjoyed it.

As to Happy Gilmore, is that the golf movie? Most of Adam Sandler's movies are a blur to me. I don't remember them and don't want to be reminded of them except The Wedding Singer. I haven't seen Punch Drunk Love and a friend keeps reminding I should remedy that.

I have two movies on the list so far and I think I have seen all but two.

Very happy to see Kung Fu Hustle show up here. While there are other comedies I think are better films, it's a movie that I can always turn to when I'm in the need of a mood boost.

As for Black Dynamite, I've only watched it in full twice. However, at least once a month I go on YouTube to watch the diner "conspiracy theory" sequence.

"And as we all know, zodiological astronomy was created by the Greeks in . . . "

"785 BC!"

"And 785 is the area code of Topeka, oh my god!"

I haven't seen Happy Gilmore since the 90s, when I probably laughed my ass off at it. Meh. I think I've gone back to Billy Madison more and have fonder memories about that one, even if neither made my list anyway. For what it's worth, I almost had another Sandler on my list, but left it out in one of my last cuts.

Now, Clerks, that one I love. Saw it back in the day, have seen it a bunch of times since, and it never NOT make me laugh. The interactions between Dante and Randal are priceless and I love its scruffy humor. It's a pity that Smith has gone downhill since, with some of his later films being pretty much unwatchable for me (including Clerks II). Still, Clerks was my #4.

Seen: 26/38

My ballot:  

If any Dennis Dugna had a chance of making our top 100 comedies list, it's Happy Gilmore. It's a pretty funny movie, but believe it or not I prefer Grown Ups because it's plot is generally more relatable than golf. 75/100.

Seen 24/38

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Happy Gilmore was my number 4. I rewatched it a month or two ago and it is just the definition of 90s comedy to me. A list without it would have been no comedy list at all. Although there is one more movie that needs to show to make this a real legit list, this is one of those essentials that will make the list super sufficient to me.

Have not seen Clerks but have seen clips. I am not a Kevin Smith movie fan at all. However, for some reason I can take him on his IMDB interviews where he's the interviewer, because he is a fan of a lot of the people he talks to and he's fairly engaging there. So, no movies from him from me.

Happy Gilmore is my favorite Adam Sandler movie but I've got a few other favorites. I'm one of those people who likes most of his movies, save for a few. I prefer the earlier ones. Not into Little Nicky or things like that. Still, I didn't have this on my countdown list. So far, just one.

Victim of The Night
Oyveh.
Happy Gilmore?!
Jeez.
Edit: Sorry, raul, hadn't seen your post yet.
Edit again: But I can't help it.

Victim of The Night
Hm.
After doing a little homework, and considering movies that have already made this list and therefore been declared comedies, and keeping in mind that we're defining comedy fairly broadly, but without getting carried away...
I have Happy Gilmore as the 13th Best Comedy... of 1996.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Hm.
After doing a little homework, and considering movies that have already made this list and therefore been declared comedies, and keeping in mind that we're defining comedy fairly broadly, but without getting carried away...
What 12 are above it?

I learnt about Clerks a decade ago, noticing some acclamation about it. Then, I've put it on my consideration list. Alas, couldn't find it and forgot this title.

Never heard Happy Gilmore.
I have never understood all the love for Clerks...it's so ordinary to me.

An old friend introduced me to Clerks and I remember liking it.

If you don't like the dynamic between Dante and Randall then I can see someone not getting much out of it.

Definitely the best Kevin Smith movie I've seen, which is not great since he's had a pretty lengthy filmography since and I'm still questioning why I gave Chasing Amy a
with such a scathing review.

Apparently he's selling his next movie in parts as an NFT? Don't think I'll be seeing that one.

Hm.

You missed Freeway. That's another dark comedy. It's weird, I'm noticing the movie websites seem to be really bad about realizing a certain type of movie is a dark comedy; weirdly wikipedia seems to know...

I view Happy Gilmore as Sandler's best comedy and it was one of my very last cuts. I get people not liking Sandler on film but some of the dislike I've heard over the years sounds personal. Isn't he supposed to be one of the nicest celebrities? Maybe I'm wrong about that, but if not then a lot of comments I've read seem a little much.

Seen Clerks a couple of times and it's a good one.

An old friend introduced me to Clerks and I remember liking it.

If you don't like the dynamic between Dante and Randall then I can see someone not getting much out of it.

Definitely the best Kevin Smith movie I've seen, which is not great since he's had a pretty lengthy filmography since and I'm still questioning why I gave Chasing Amy a
with such a scathing review.

Apparently he's selling his next movie in parts as an NFT? Don't think I'll be seeing that one.
Lol what a money hungry scam artist

Another one bites the dust from my ballot:

Black Dynamite: Err, uhh, hush up little girls. A lot of cats have that name.

Coming in at number 17 on my ballot - Black Dynamite. There are a handful films that I can watch anytime and this is one of them. It has a lot of what I guess you'd call dumb humor but it's not a dumb movie. It has a plot and a pretty good one at that (better than The Naked Gun at least- high bar, I know) and anybody who has any familiarity with Blaxploitation knows exactly who the enemy is going to be...it's The Man. Michael Jai White is Black Dynamite and he most certainly is not Rudy Ray Moore. Black Dynamite leans a little more towards the Jim Brown or Fred Williamson type of role. See, White's a legitimate bad ass which gives the movie a little bit of a different flavor. You're never laughing AT Black Dynamite. This is not the Chief Inspector. The movie isn't a clown show even though there are clowns in it. It's obvious that everybody associated with the making of this grew up a fan of what it's imitating and it imitates them very well. It could be one of those movies that plays better the second or third time through. Great supporting cast as well.

As for the others:

Ed Wood is great. It's not my favorite Burton film but it's top 4. In keeping with my one director per ballot rule I went with Pee Wee's Big Adventure just because it's more funny.

Kung Fu Hustle I saw in the theater with the family. They liked it a lot more than I did. A little too cartoony for me but it did have some funny moments. Probably wouldn't hurt give it another run.

Clerks is good. Funny. Watched it again a year or two ago and I still like it but it seemed to drag in the second half just a little. My favorite parts were always Dante and Randal, especially Randall, dealing with the idiot customers.

Happy Gilmore might be the second funniest golf movie trailing only Caddyshack 2. Sandler...hmmmm...I have What the Hell Happened to Me? on disc and think it's hilarious but his movies are awful. His comedies are so incredibly awful yet I think he can be a fine to very good actor and I can't wait to see him in more dramatic roles. He reminds me of Robin Williams and Steve Martin that way. They're always better when they dial it down juuuust a bit.