The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Starcraft: Remastered (2017)

I played all 35 missions from the original Starcraft (the 30 main campaign missions plus the extra five missions of the Enslavers Campaign). It is truly the best RTS game ever made in terms of its "personality" as a game, indeed superior to Starcraft 2, which feels too much "plastic" while the original feels more "metal."

However, the interface and unit pathfinding could be improved in the remaster (as they are in Starcraft 2; too bad the rest of the game is inferior to the original; I would like the option of having a remastered interface at least). Right now, you need to be erratically clicking and pressing stuff to run your forces in Starcraft. As RTS interfaces improved over the past 25 years, one would hope that when they remastered Starcraft, they would have updated the interface, but no, its interface is straight from 1998.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The PS5 controller has started lagging during Cuphead. I've tried to troubleshoot, but so far no luck. I'll have more time this weekend, I hope, to look more into it. At least I've been able to watch BSG (reboot) again!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You ready? You look ready.
Leave it to Disney to team up with the worst company in the gaming industry.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
My time “Romancing the Switch” ended quickly with my first experience playing one.

While visiting my gf’s sister and husband, we all played theirs. They had the yarn game which was cute, reminded me of LBP and Trine. Then we played a Road Rash clone, which lost out in the soundtrack department.

Finally came to the meat n’ potatoes, Mario Cart. One of the main reasons I wanted to get one. Somebody played about 2 games and had enough 🙄

We even had the benefit of playing with the full-size controllers. They are a must have. I know the “click” controllers are limited in how big they can be, but they are close to unusable for my “not small, so very not small hands”.

I’m out on paying full-retail for a last-year console and having to pay another $150 for usable controllers, among other things.

We had a very good run through Baldur's Gate III last night. I can't really explain where we were on the map, but we were in a collapsed mining cave and had just rescued a True Soul. That actually took place maybe two weeks ago. Due to my dialogue choices at that time, combat was initiated. Immediately after, the third of our group had to log out. Last night we returned to this save state completely out of context of the fight already in progress. One guy suggested he run away, leaving us to die but he would be able to return and revive us. He's the one that has played the game 4 times already, so in that he was ready to jump ship concerned me. The other guy pushed to have a go. We stayed.

Luckily, I remembered having Lump's Horn in my inventory so we used it to summon three "battle trolls" (battle toad!? get it?!) They distracted about half of the enemy forces as we limped along through to the end. We ended up killing all the slaves we were trying to rescue, so that sucked, but whatever. The one slave had been saved twice already from being launched off a windmill and some other time I cannot recall the details of. It was just his time.

Soon after, we were able to level up to 6, unlocking my SUPER AWESOME OWLBEAR FORM!!! One guy respecced his character and was able to cast Enlarge on me, doubling my size. That was fun. It was all fun again, so I am glad that I stuck it out with my constant mistakes. Last night finally showed us the interesting dynamics at play when using the different classes to assist each other rather than playing as a group of soloists.

We are playing again Sunday, and I am actually excited again. neaT game, this. Keep at it, anyone who is doubting.

A system of cells interlinked
Yep...our last session of BG3 was excellent. Fun exploration, and epic battle, and then some secret discoveries that led to us being in quite a conundrum, which I can't talk about at all, as it would spoil it and man, is it fun and challenging!

The Adventure Starts Here!
I have no idea if this is true or not, but since you guys are talking about Baldur's Gate, I figured I'd post this link here:

"Baldur's Gate 3 Player Played Through Entire Game as a Cat and This Is What Happened"

https://gamerant.com/baldurs-gate-3-...2-_xjUEVY2iym8

I have no idea if this is true or not, but since you guys are talking about Baldur's Gate, I figured I'd post this link here:

"Baldur's Gate 3 Player Played Through Entire Game as a Cat and This Is What Happened"

https://gamerant.com/baldurs-gate-3-...2-_xjUEVY2iym8
Thanks for that! I lol'd several times here at work

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I've been toying with the idea of buying a Nintendo Switch OLED but I have a question and I can't find an exact answer to it online anywhere.

Are there Nintendo Switch games that can't be played offline without a Nintendo Online subscription? Which games? I have zero interest in getting a subscription. I want to be able to play any game I want offline without any restrictions. I mean games you have to buy. Not the free retro games only available online. I don't want to buy a game and find out later it can't be played without a subscription.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Nintendo Switch OLED but I have a question and I can't find an exact answer to it online anywhere.

Are there Nintendo Switch games that can't be played offline without a Nintendo Online subscription? Which games? I have zero interest in getting a subscription. I want to be able to play any game I want offline without any restrictions. I mean games you have to buy. Not the free retro games only available online. I don't want to buy a game and find out later it can't be played without a subscription.
I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this myself. I haven't needed to know ... yet... but I might need this answer sometime later.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this myself. I haven't needed to know ... yet... but I might need this answer sometime later.
I also posted on pc gamer forums and someone said you can play anything without a subscription. So that helps. Unfortunately, I'm unable to buy a Nintendo Switch directly from Walmart since they don't have it in stock, and I'm not comfortable having one delivered. I'm thinking I might just wait until the Switch 2 comes out either this year or next.

I really love the Zelda games and it would be interesting to find out if the Switch 2 will play games from the previous Switch. One thing I hate about Nintendo is that whenever they come out with a new console, older games are unplayable on the new console. I've owned most of the Nintendo consoles since NES, except the Game Boy. I've never had Play Station as it has never appealed to me.

I also posted on pc gamer forums and someone said you can play anything without a subscription. So that helps. Unfortunately, I'm unable to buy a Nintendo Switch directly from Walmart since they don't have it in stock, and I'm not comfortable having one delivered. I'm thinking I might just wait until the Switch 2 comes out either this year or next.

I really love the Zelda games and it would be interesting to find out if the Switch 2 will play games from the previous Switch. One thing I hate about Nintendo is that whenever they come out with a new console, older games are unplayable on the new console. I've owned most of the Nintendo consoles since NES, except the Game Boy. I've never had Play Station as it has never appealed to me.
I didn't realize that Steam came out with its own version of the Switch (I forget the name offhand). Since buying my Switch, I've sometimes wondered if the Steam console would have let me play more of the games I already play anyway. Most of my gaming these days comes through Steam.

But I'm not curious enough to buy a second, similar console.