Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The End of Summer - 6/10
Harsh! You made Setsuko cry!
Village of The Damned (1960)
The only thing besides the ending I can remember from this film are the eyes. OH GOD THESE EYES.
Explain to me, please, how my taste in films is extremely narrow minded?
No need to explain. Just lookin' up your recent ratings is enough.
I've seen more films than you have, I can guarantee that.
I know a guy who's seen 8000 movies, yet 95% of films he watched were not "along his way", or he simply hated. Sometimes there was a month with only one 3/5 rating he's given (and the rest was way lower) for about 100 films he watched. I simply can't fathom how can somebody watch so many films yet don't enjoy them (are you forcing yourself to watch them?). And this does not go specifically to you, RedFoot, but to some other people who've started posting ratings quite recently.

Even movies I didn't like get
or
from me most of the time if I can find something in them that I liked. And I hardly ever rate anything below
, because I love cinema too much. I often can't understand how people can be so harsh with their ratings, almost as if they didn't love cinema.

To me narrow-minded in case of films does not mean somebody is narrow-minded in other fields and isn't an insult. That being said, I know a lot of people that are pretty clever and knowledgeable in other subjects, but still are extremely newbish and narrow-minded when it comes to cinema.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I always admired Tarantino for being one of those guys who enthusiastically watches a movie, always goes in hoping he'll love it. I try to live by that myself. I don't think you have to love every movie you see, but as a film lover you're supposed to love film! That's pretty much the only criteria, because it's in the name. A lot of you guys who are close friends with me know I'm not big on criticizing films, and that's why.

or
from me most of the time if I can find something in them that I liked. And I hardly ever rate anything below
, because I love cinema too much. I often can't understand how people can be so harsh with their ratings, almost as if they didn't love cinema.
Hm, thats funny cause with me I stopped reviewing cause I thought I was rating stuff too high, and when Id look at the review a month later, Id do a double-take. I incorrectly assumed you were more critical.

or
To me,
is average (it is halfway between 0 and 5 after all), so I imagine most of my ratings seem really low to some people (not that I rate movies all that frequently though).

A
or
might be a pretty okay movie, but if it's boring or unoriginal I'm probably not going to rate it higher than that unless the few things I liked about it were really good. Someone like TONGO might think
is an absolute failure, but that's not the case for me. To me, it's a below average film that still has a few good things going for it.

We all have different tastes and preferences when it comes to film, and I think that carries over to our rating systems as well. Not everyone is going to agree on what parameters warrant each rating. That's also why I never just give a movie a flat rating without any explanation, but in a thread that's simply called "Rate the Last Movie You Saw" and not "Review the Last Movie You Saw", explaining your rating is not strictly necessary. It does make things more interesting when you do though.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
is mediocrity. And mediocrity is by no means good, but it doesn't mean the movie was terrible. Average is a tricky word for me as my average rating is 3.27 and that's more than
which stands for decent in my rating system.

Here's the thing, though. I can understand somebody having a really harsh rating system to only highlight movies he really, really loved, but in longer run this doesn't make much sense, anyway. One can still highlight his favourites by 5 star rating and doesn't have to give 2 stars to a movie he only moderately liked.

But let's be frank, there's not too many harsh raters out there and generally a two star rating means somebody didn't like a film, but maybe appreciated one part of it, or something and that's why the rating isn't lower.

One star is usually given to pretty bad films and that's why people frown upon users who grant this kind of rating to highly-acclaimed movies. As I've said before, it's perfectly alright to dislike any film, but when somebody dislikes a couple of usually highly rated movies, something's weird. You start wondering if the person is a masochist of some kind and watches only movies he or she knows are not in his/her type, or simply a narrow-minded moviewatcher with a very, well, narrow idea of what cinema is or should be.

PS: Robert Bresson was one of the most narrow-minded filmmakers ever hating literally EVERY film that wasn't his. He only watched 2 Hitchcock films in 20 years and claimed them disastrous. And it wasn't because he thought the acting or cinematography or screenplay etc. was bad, but because these movies didn't fit his strictly defined idea of what cinema should be. As much as I love Bresson's movies, he was narrow-minded as hell!

Club Dread -

Underrated comedy with funny performances and a love of the genre.

The Prestige -

Nolan's best film. So much attention to detail and worth more than one viewing, where it holds up brilliantly.
I really start to like you man! Two movie I always love

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Commando (1985).
This movie is stupid in every sense of the word, it utilizes every single overused action cliche known to man and is unbelievably goofy.
But good lord do I love this movie. Something about this movie just speaks to my inner man child and forces me to turn of my brain every single time I watch it.

So, my usual self would give this

But then the man child takes over.

Firstly, I agree with you past post, that was some good stuff. But in this case I agree with Cosmic that
is average. BUT ratings are subjective and how your system works is up to you. Personally though, I just feel like it's a waste not to use the whole scale, since everything below 2.5 would be pretty damn awful then. And as you said, you barely rate anything below 3/5, which even going by your love for cinema, could still be because your scale is more to the positive side.

I try to even mine out, so 2.5 is average, 2 is below average and 3 is above average/fairly good. That way I feel like I use the whole rating system equally or however you can say it. But it's fun to see how others use ratings and how they see a movie in terms of grades.

Everyone needs to calm down and kindly un-clench their sphincters.

Film is art, and everyone has a different opinions on it. And films we like are not necessarily going to be appreciated by others. That does not mean the film is bad, it just means that person does not care for it. It is not a big deal.

Hell there are several MoFo's on this site I like and respect who do not care for films I love. Miss Vicky does not care for Taxi Driver, Tongo hates The Temple of Doom, several people here do not care for David Lynch movies, and JayDee does not like Kevin Smith flicks.

And that is not even counting the flicks I flat out don't like that I know others adore. Any Tarantino fan here knows how much I don't care for his movies at all, I am not a PTA fan, and I think I made Cobpyth cry with my thoughts on Altman.

Does not make them (or me) any less of people or cinephiles, it just means our tastes are different.

And as for annoying and douchebag new guys, as Tongo said, no one compares to 90'sAce. But either way, a nasty response to an online post is not going to help the situation.

So lets all calm down a little.

Films and films
Cien años de perdón By Daniel Calparsoro

6/10... good start but kinda got stale somewhere down the middle . but nice direction

Just wait until we do the Top 100 Worst Movie countdown....everyone! is going to get miffed when they see their favorite movies being hated on
I can't wait for that. But if any on my list ends up on anyone's favorites, that person is dead to me.

Just wait until we do the Top 100 Worst Movie countdown....everyone! is going to get miffed when they see their favorite movies being hated on
My list really wasn't controversial. A few highly rated films made it but less than i thought would. I ended up making a list of all the films i truly despise and i realized that i have seen way more genuinely bad films than i thought. Especially after going through the first few pages of the worst films on Flickchart (i don't have one in case anyone asks it just came up when i searched worst ever movies) so many sh!tty films that i watched when younger popped up, thank god i actually choose what i watch now haha.

Anyway most of those didn't make my list because i barely remember them, but when i weighed a turd against a technically fine film that i just personally despise i chose the former to go on my list because i could at least appreciate the effort in the latter regardless of them being hideously wrong. Man, think i sent a pretty boring list now . Almost want to ask TONGO if i could change it, haha nah wouldn't do that to you.

Love how much this comment seems like i'm talking directly to movieforums.com, like not the members but the website/domain

There's one movie at the very top of my list that might ruffle some feathers, but I'm pretty sure all the films on my list were ones that are generally disliked. I guess we'll find out when the countdown starts though.