Movies You LOVE, But Can't Watch Again?

Tools    

I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.
It pisses me of that I have to type "(2003)" when referring to Oldboy. I refuse to consider Spike Lee's remake "Oldboy" since it's such a far cry from the vastly better original.

Both The Road and Graveyard of the Fireflies for exactly the same reason. It's extraordinarily depressing to watch characters with nothing suffer and starve to death because terrible people do terrible things.

I wouldn't say I exactly "LOVE" them because of that, but they're very engrossing to watch.

Once.

Groundhog Day - I love the film's deeper spiritual message. But watching it over again becomes as annoying to me as the repetitive day in the film becomes to Bill Murray's character!

I think I spread out about 15 years between first & second viewing. (I'll think I'll wait another 15 before viewing it again.)
OMG, I couldn't disagree more...I love Groundhog's Day...I think it's one of Bill Murray's best performances and I think the film has enormous re-watch appeal.

I agree with this one

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch

Love Exposure (2008) I wasn't really expecting to like this very much, but by the end, I was weirdly mesmerised by the whole thing, but it's over 4 hours long and the extended version is 6 hours long in total, and I just don't think I could ever endure another sitting

I totally agree regarding Grave of the Fireflies, I highly doubt I'll be able to watch that again. And then there's Marley & Me I always have to turn that off because after watching it three times or so, I always end up as a blubbering wreck

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've only seen Love Exposure (4 hr.) once, but it was a quick watch for me. I'd watch it some more times.

12 Years A Slave for me. I just rewatched it the other day and I now realize why I can't watch that movie again. The movie is fantastic and so are all the actors but it sickens me that it is a true story. It was hard to watch it even on a second viewing.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched 12 Years a Slave three times before the Oscars that year, but I don't particularly like it - that's why I watched it so much though, so I could discuss my minority opinion at the time. It basically comes down to my not liking Steve McQueen as a director, but I think this is his best.

I couldn't watch 12 Years A Slave again, well I could but I don't want to. I did give it a 4.5/5 and thought highly of that film but it's just something I don't want to revisit.

Mindwalk (1990)
I actually really liked the deep, existential concepts the three characters in this film talked about. But I don't think I could sit through listening to them talk about these things again. (The film consists of three well-known stars having deep intellectual conversations about existential concepts while walking about a medieval French island - that's the entire film!)

Welcome to the human race...
Isn't Fight Club known for frequent screenings? Why don't you like watching it repeatedly?
I've re-watched both of them but it definitely feels like I've seen them enough times - does that not count?

I've re-watched both of them but it definitely feels like I've seen them enough times - does that not count?
No, that's fine, I was just curious. I don't particularly care for Fight Club myself, but it seems an odd choice to me.

Pacific Rim. It was a wonderful theater experience for somebody who grew up watching stuff like Power Rangers and Gundam. I'd rather keep the rosy memory of geeking out to the spectacle of it on the big screen than get bogged down in its shortcomings on a rewatch.

Love Exposure (2008) I wasn't really expecting to like this very much, but by the end, I was weirdly mesmerised by the whole thing, but it's over 4 hours long and the extended version is 6 hours long in total, and I just don't think I could ever endure another sitting
CRIPES. I've never seen a movie THAT long.

Ummm... The Game. Really cool conspiracy-style psychological thriller. It's biggest fault is easily that it suffers more than any other movie I've seen just from knowing how it ends. Still, similar to Falling Down, Michael Douglas does a great job acting out a character driven to the brink.

I've only ever seen Schindler's List once, Malcolm X once, and Hotel Rwanda once. I think partly I'm afraid Malcolm X and Hotel Rwanda, in particular, just won't have the same impact the second time around. (And to be honest all these years later I'm much less of a fan of Danzel Washington than I once was, which could affect how I see the movie. And I read the book right after seeing the movie.) Who knows, I could end up rewatching all three at some point. I loved Andrei Rublev, but I have a hard time seeing myself watching it again, but it's only been a few months.

Those are the ones that come to mind right now.

I have to return some videotapes...
To be honest a recent film I probably couldn't watch for a long time is Foxcatcher (2014).