Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Wonder Woman

(Patty Jenkins)

Finally caught up with one of the most talked about films of this year, Wonder Woman. It is arguably, the best DCEU film so far and I think the WWI setting helped it out a lot too. Had the film been told in a more modern setting, the uniqueness of the story and her as a character would have been lost.

Diana saves the life of a American spy, who crashes his plane into the waters of her home world. He tells her of the great war, one she believes is the result of the God Ares. She joins him back in our world in an effort to stop Ares and save millions of lives.

Gal Gadot brings an sense of innocence to the role, which makes her character even more likeable than she was in Batman vs Superman. Here she leaves her home world and has to adjust to the life of a woman in ours. This is played for laughs here and there and an underused Lucy Davis helps with the comedy. Diana sees how men treat women, how women treat themselves and is left confused. Her fish out of water style story bits are amusing, but nothing new. It's Gadot's believability in the role that pushes the film forward and her chemistry with the underrated Chris Pine brings a more humanistic approach to this superhero tale.

I must admit though, the CGI in this film is pretty horrendous. Seeing the amazonian warriors jump around and fly off their horses was a little embarrassing. Nothing about what was shown felt real or whimsical. It was stuck in some kind of weird limbo where it looks awkward and fake. Then we get the more traditional superhero climax for the third act, something that literally could have been shot by Zack Snyder. The film loses some steam here with a predictable reveal and an uninteresting fight sequence.

I wanted more of her in the trenches. A smile crept across my face when she slowly climbed the ladder and ran into No Man's Land. The men look on in awe as she, beautiful and stunning, destroys the enemy. A highlight for the film for sure and had Jenkins spent more time here, would have really solidified the film as a whole. I didn't really get the sense of horror that WWI was and I think this was a missed opportunity.

Wonder Woman is an inspiration to little girls and I'm glad they have this character to look up to. Gadget seems game here and I look forward to what else she can bring to the table. I hope the sequel keeps up with the style and different era. There is nothing more boring than watching something you've already seen.

Suspect's Reviews

Don't think anyone would touch the screenplay with a bargepole in the current climate. Another year or two perhaps, but right now I doubt it.

Perhaps I should have just stuck with my original thought for the throwaway line which was "The original Mister Grey!"

Unregistered User

Ratcatcher (1999)

Relentlessly bleak film set in 1970s Glasgow showing a young boy struggles living in these parts . This could easily have passed as a Ken Loach film, in particular Kes. The cast and the performances were really impressive and although it is depressing, it does have some humour, all be it, very dark. What I loved most about the film was that it genuinely seemed like it was made in the 70s. Everything from the dialogue between the characters, mostly the youngsters, down to the setting with the binmen strike. Despite the harsh setting of the film, there are still some really beautiful shots too.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

+
Finally. This time I can say it is a really good movie of Woody Allen. I prefer when his movies are about poor people, who struggle with their problems, rather than made-up troubles of elite.
Wonder wheel is made as a theatre play and this is another thing I like about this movie. The dwelling of main characters is like a scene in theatre.
Kate Winslet was absolutely brilliant, just like Jim Belushi and even sir Justin was pretty good

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Dance Baby Dance (Stephen Kogon): An inspirational feel-good film about a former tap dancer who after suffering a knee injury that took him out of his dream, decides to go on the comeback trail when he learns of an upcoming showcase that could lead to a one-year job for a touring dancing troupe. Kogon himself plays the dreamer Jimmy, who takes everything with a smile as his determination may have drawn fire from both his wife (who fears his injury will get the best of him) and the owner of the dance studio he trains in (who feels he is too old at this point), Jimmy is determined to make his dream come true by overcoming the odds.

There is also a bonding moment when his wife's niece, reeling from her parents' divorce, finds a kindred spirit in Jimmy due to their love of tap dancing. Their bonding scene pays homage to classic Astaire and perhaps a dash of Shirley Temple. It's a cute fun film with a message: with hard work, you can achieve your dreams.

Final Rating: B+

The Virgin Suicides (1999)

+

This is the third movie I've seen after watching Lost in Translation last month and The Beguiled a couple of days ago. I think well of all of them and this is my favorite of the three. It's tragic and beautiful, while also being a nostalgic coming of age tale with a great soundtrack. Depending on who you are, you may identify with the boys, the girls, or the parents. I loved it.

The House is Black (1963)

I watched this Iranian short because it's on our documentary list and it's directed by a woman. It's a look at life in a leper colony, and while the subject matter is moving, I was mostly indifferent to the film itself.

+
Finally. This time I can say it is a really good movie of Woody Allen. I prefer when his movies are about poor people, who struggle with their problems, rather than made-up troubles of elite.
Wonder wheel is made as a theatre play and this is another thing I like about this movie. The dwelling of main characters is like a scene in theatre.
Kate Winslet was absolutely brilliant, just like Jim Belushi and even sir Justin was pretty good
Good to hear Woody finally made another good film. I'm looking forward to this one.

+
Wow! Jim Belushi starring in Woody Allen with Kate Winslet? I need to see this. Thank you

Triangle (Christopher Smith, 2009)

Reasonably well orchestrated little mind-boggler imo

THE DISASTER ARTIST
(2017)

The story of the weird guy named Tommy Wiseau who made that weird, and not to mention extremely terrible, movie titled The Room is quite frankly terrific and makes for great movie entertainment.

If you love movies like Ed Wood, you will absolutely love this one.

James Franco delivers an amazing performance as Wiseau. James's brother, Dave Franco, delivers an even better performance as Greg, the kid Tommy takes under his wing in search of the American dream and dreams of becoming movie stars, and his second lead star in the film.

The movie is hysterical and sad at the same time. Hysterical in that you are taking a candid look at the making of arguably the worst movie ever made, and sad in that the film has developed a strong cult following over the years.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Wow! Jim Belushi starring in Woody Allen with Kate Winslet?
Yeah. I'm glad Allen made such a good movie. The last one I enjoyed was Blue Jasmine, so it was some movies ago

Out of the Blue (1980)

Jesus Christ. That's what I said 5 minutes in and at the end. This is not a technically strong film but it's a lot of what I look for in the movie. Dennis Hopper was great; not over the top like he can often be, but believably messed up. This movie belongs to Linda Manz though. Her accent annoyed me a little in Days of Heaven, and I wasn't so sure about her performance here for awhile until everything came full circle. As it turned out, her performance was so compelling that I can't even picture the actress being different than the character. This movie will be scarred into my brain forever.

Masterminds (2016)

Yeah. I'm glad Allen made such a good movie. The last one I enjoyed was Blue Jasmine, so it was some movies ago
Blue Jasmine, right..yes, I remember enjoying that one, too. It was kind of an edgy Allen film, even tho only PG-13 if I remember.

This is a legendary review, sir, hahaha!!
Agreed, we now need a "peoples reactions whilst I surreptitiously watch films nearby" thread .