NBAluke579's movie reviews.

→ in
Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.
Hello everybody Lucas here(previously under the username NBAluke579). I have wanted to make a thread similar to this for a very,very long time. Here I will be posting reviews on all sorts of films. Feel free to leave me suggestions on what films to review, and what films you guys might want me to see.My rating scale is from a
to a
. Since Halloween is right around the corner, i'm going to start off with a review with one of the greatest horror films ever made.A little film by the name of The Shining.Enjoy.

Let me get it out of the way immediately. This is a masterpiece. I have seen the film numerous times, and each time I watch it i end up enjoying it even more.My first viewing came when I was around 11 years old or so.The movie blew me away, and ever since then it has always been my favorite horror movie. The film is extremely atmospheric, genuinely horrifying,thought-provoking and in a way beautiful. The movie oozes with tension and suspense. You as the viewer are transported to the claustrophobic,eerie halls of The Overlook Hotel.The movie immerses you immediately, and it never lets go.The cinematography is fantastic,and some of the finest that i have ever seen.Stanley Kubrick quite simply put, crafted a horror film for the ages.

The plot follows the Torrance family.There's the father Jack, the wife Wendy, and young son Danny. Jack has volunteered to be the winter caretaker for the Overlook Hotel, and decides to bring his family along with him. Over the course of the film, Jack's mental state begins to deteriorate as the dark secrets and horrors lying inside the hotel begin to emerge. I won't spoil anymore, as this film just has to be experienced first hand.But I will say that the acting is phenomenal, especially from Jack Nicholson.Who delivers an outstanding acting performance.Shelley Duvall does an outstanding job as well.

This film is notorious for it's ambiguity and heavy symbolism. There's even a documentary out there called Room 237 which attempts to dissect the subliminal meanings and underlying messages found in this film.Overall I believe everyone should check this film out if they haven't already done so. My Rating:
+

Great review man! I was hoping you'd make this thread sooner or later. It'll be very interesting...
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Good review. I like but don't love The Shining. Nicholson's performance alone is enough to make me stop and take notice when it is on though. 9/10 for a masterpiece, your a tough grader.

I'm going to continue my reviews with one of the most divisive and polarizing films of the year.Only God Forgives.

I'll start off by saying that I am a huge fan of Drive. I thought it was an incredible film, and it's easily one of my favorites. While I do not feel nearly as strongly towards Only God Forgives, I still believe it to be a rather solid film. I've heard some call this film a pretentious,self indulgent mess,while others hail it as a misunderstood masterpiece.Well, I'll start off with the good. The film is visually stunning for one. The cinematography is dazzling,stylish,and hypnotic.The film casts a unique atmosphere,quite reminiscent of a David Lynch or Stanley Kubrick film. This is one of the best looking films that I have seen this year, and I feel it is worth watching simply to experience the visuals alone.Another thing I appreciate is that it's attempting to be something unique. While the results are mixed, I do appreciate it when a film at least tries to break the norm.

Most criticize the film for being dull, and with uninteresting,poorly fleshed out characters.Though I can understand that criticism, I feel that a lot of people are viewing the film differently than what the director Nicholas Winding Refn intended. There is a narrative here, and while it's not done in a particularly straight forward or even compelling fashion it's most definitely there. It didn't particularly interest or grip me though. My main problems with the film arise with how poorly paced and slow it is. Numerous scenes stretch on and on and on....to the point of exhaustion. There are scenes that serve no purpose to the overall plot, and there's a torture scene in the latter part of the movie that really does seem like it's only there to fetishize the violence.

Overall I think OGF is a film worth watching if you are looking for something unconventional and different. It's not a particularly gripping film, nor is it a film that you want to rewatch. It is ambitious to a fault,and it certainly could have been better.Yet in this year mostly full of crappy blockbusters and awful films,that's better than nothing. My rating:

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
2 solid reviews. Agree with what you had to say about The Shining. I think the only person who hated that movie was Stephen King lol.

Great start, will be checking in on further reviews

My next film is one that's quite literally a journey to the heart of darkness.....
Aguirre,The Wrath of God.

This is an extremely nihilistic and dark film. A movie about human greed,hunger for power,control and how in the end it's what destroys us. This film in short shows the expedition of Spanish conquistadors trying to find the fabled city of El Dorado.The "Lost city of gold". The men journey farther and farther into the jungle trying to find this city, as death and famine begin to swallow everyone up. The main focus of the story is on the ruthless,power hungry Aguirre who tries to do anything to get what he wants.

This film feels very real. It almost feels like you are watching a documentary.You feel as if you are there with these men as they travel farther and farther down into their inevitable demise trying to find this fabled city.The movie's acting is great, and the lush cinematography enhances the film's atmosphere.There is little more that I can say about the film,it's not something you want to rewatch or a movie that you can watch casually. To me it's a bleak portrait of how mankind's greed will always be our undoing.

My Rating is a
. Here is the link to the full movie on YouTube in case any of you Mofo's are interested:

Cheers.

Alright guys, I'm ending my reviews for today with a film from one of my favorite directors,David Lynch. The film I am about to review is a masterpiece and one of my all-time favorite films. It is such an incredible film,I simply can't stop gushing about it. That film is Mulholland Drive ladies and gentlemen, and what a film it is.

I remember viewing this film a few months back and I had absolutely no idea what I just witnessed. But boy did I love it!!! I kept thinking about this film for days on end,it was so haunting and beautiful. Then over time my love for this film grew more and more and more.... This is the type of film that's always going to be one of my favorites.

Here's how I would describe the film. Haunting.Hypnotic.Beautiful.Weird.Lynch. I can't really describe the plot to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. you just have to see it for yourselves. The Club Silencio scene is without a doubt one of the most incredible movies scenes I have ever witnessed.This film is just rad you guys. This is just a great film all across the boards, no review could do it justice. My rating:
. This movie is certified Lynch.

Hey I appreciate everyone who viewed this thread and is enjoying my reviews. You guys are all awesome.I'll try to keep this thread going by posting excellent reviews whenever I can.

Here's a review of an extremely entertaining action flick.
Dredd

I'll start off by saying that this is an incredibly fun movie. It's so refreshing to watch an action film that isn't trash. I watched this movie on Netflix a few months back and I was genuinely surprised at the amount of fun I was having. If you are looking for a movie with some deep compelling story, or fleshed out characters or anything like that, this isn't it. But if you are looking for a film with lots of badass shootouts and awesome action sequences, this is most definitely it my friends.

The film takes place in a dystopian future overrun by crime,violence and gangs. The film's main character is a Judge. Judges are basically futuristic police officers who have total authority to prevent crime and take down criminals. The film's visual style is rather interesting. It's certainly a step above typical action movie fare. Some scenes are particularly pretty to the eyes. I must say Karl Urban does a kickass job as Judge Dredd. I love that the film didn't try to give the main character a backstory or anything like that.There's no room for cheap attempts at trying to convey sentimentality. Man of Steel this is not.The supporting cast does a solid job as well. Lena Headey is especially memorable as the film's villain.

So this is my verdict. If you want to watch an entertaining,exhilarating action flick and just relax on the couch with some buds drinking beer. This is it. My Rating:

Note:The film is on Netflix instant stream at this moment in time in case any of you guys want to check it out.Cheers

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
never could make it through aguirre, so serious reps for that and i firmly agree about Dredd (my library actually carried it) and this one will be going into the collection at some point.

The solid reviews continue, bravo!

In dreams I walk with youuuuuuuuuuuu...........

I'm about to do a short review of another Lynch masterpiece. A film by the name of Blue Velvet.

I recall seeing Blue Velvet and thinking it was okay. Nothing too special. I then watched the series Twin Peaks and I kind of began to feel warmth toward how weird,oddball and strange Lynch's directorial style is. Now this is one of my favorite films.
In short Blue Velvet like Twin Peaks in a way, deals with the theme of how beneath the seeming normality and warmth of little towns there's always some sort of evil lurking underneath.This film is an american classic, and it's quite beautiful. It's probably one of Lynch's most straight-forward films as well.It's a tale that we can all relate to, and we become lost in Lynch's surreal,dream-like world.Uncovering the darkness that lies beneath suburban American.Darkness and evil we know exists, but we choose to shrug off. This is the theme at the core of Blue Velvet.

From a technical standpoint the film is excellent, the visuals are light and warm during the day sequences, but during the night everything feels eerie and almost unnatural.. The acting is great in my eyes and Dennis Hopper's performance as the sinister Frank Booth is great. The story is beautiful too, it's definitely a film that you can rewatch. I have little to no gripes with the movie, it's highly recommend.It's an exceptional movie, and I hereby call it certified Lynch.My rating:
+

Two excellent review of two excellent films.

Blue Velvet is one that never fails to make a mark whenever I see it.

Dredd however made #2 in my Top 100 films (can see it in my dropdown Favourite Movies box). Absolutely love it.