Extremely depressing film recommendations?

Tools    

some types of movie are going to be more depressive to others, just bleak to others.. which can also mean lacking vegetation and exposed to elements. Some people are more exposed. More frightened by things. In life or movie.

Darkman I'll mention as I don't think it's been put out there. Man, I found parts of that heartbreaking on top of being a very entertaining cb movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I have not! My backlog seems to get longer all the time.
Maybe if you stopped watching TV series and focused on movies, you'd be able to make your backlog shorter. Just sayin.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Darkman I'll mention as I don't think it's been put out there. Man, I found parts of that heartbreaking on top of being a very entertaining cb movie.
This occupies the same crevice in my brain as The Shadow. A crevice named "man there were some good ideas there but they didn't really figure it out."

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I respectfully refuse. TV is very interesting right now.
I'm not saying it isn't, TV being a completely different medium notwithstanding. I'm merely hinting at a possibly more evened-out ratio of films to TV.

Indeed! I’m tempted to do the opposite and give in to my impulse to just watch shows for a bit.
I watched a few TV series this month and I'm more than glad to call it a once-in-a-year anomaly and get back to films. A cinephile and a TV series watcher are two separate things and I can't think of TV series watchers as cinephiles. Some of them are cinephiles because they also take film seriously. But a person who only watches TV series is not a cinephile. Another word is needed for that.

I watched a few TV series this month and I'm more than glad to call it a once-in-a-year anomaly and get back to films. A cinephile and a TV series watcher are two separate things and I can't think of TV series watchers as cinephiles. Some of them are cinephiles because they also take film seriously. But a person who only watches TV series is not a cinephile. Another word is needed for that.
That’s fair. And yes, a different term other than ‘cinephile’ wouldn’t go amiss.

Alas, I don’t intend to indulge that impulse of mine.

going through my collection
A Telephile perhaps?

I'm not saying it isn't, TV being a completely different medium notwithstanding. I'm merely hinting at a possibly more evened-out ratio of films to TV.

I will take that under advisement, it being on Criterion, and hearing it's kinda like Bresson's Au hazard Balthazar ty

There’s also this one which I forgot to mention:
EO (2022)
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt19652910/
I’m no animal rights activist, but it was horrifying.

Never seen this one but it's down as a comedy on a few of the usual movie sites!
Sure felt like a dark comedy to me. I guess if you’re easily shocked and lack cynicism, then yes, it might come off as depressing.

I just want to thank everyone here and say something in general. About 80% of all the movies i've ever loved could be described as depressing, or bleak, there's a special connection i feel with those films, not sappy stuff, but things that will get you feeling down a little, which is therapeutic. One such film that never leaves me is Cassavetes' A Woman Under the Influence, which should be in my top 10, what a dynamic performance by the 2 leads. Keep 'em coming my good movie community, glad to know i'm not some weirdo who likes the darker side of stuff. Happy New Year also, 2024 will be mostly streaming, hardly ever gonna read on my kindle this year, and the dominant theme will be depressing, bleak, sad, and those kinds of things, anything related to those descriptors, like disturbing on the harsh end, to painfully beautiful on the other spectrum side. To feel all the feels, except the kinds i don't value, which are the schmaltzy kinds, which may squeeze in partially.