Movies about School Violence

Tools    

I am doing a project on school violence in the media for my education class, and was hoping you guys would help me think up some movies. Right now all I can think of are American History X and Bowling for Columbine. I would like both serious and comedic forms, if you would be so kind.

I am having a nervous breakdance
There's is a brilliant film called Bang, Bang, You're Dead (2002) by Guy Ferland.

Check this out!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

"The Principal"
"The Substitute"
"Lean on Me" (on the mild side)

Comedy..
"Fast Times at Ridgemont High"
"National Lampoons Animal House"
"Revenge of the Nerds"

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
WOW really narrowing down the field are we?

There is a film by Leonardo DiCaprio which people blame was an inspriation for Columbine and it was all over the news if you remember it.
That film is Basketball Diaries

Originally Posted by Yoda
I believe Gus Vant Sant's Elephant is about high school violence.
Now that was a great film.

I forgot (thinking about my library)
"Zebrahead"
"The faculty"
"American Me"
"School Daze"
"Massacre at Central High"
"Murder by Numbers"

and hey you can go wayyyyyyyy back to "Blackboard Jungle" "To Sir With Love"

A system of cells interlinked
Higher Learning. I remember liking this one, and it was a pretty accurate 90s college environment, from what I hear.

Also, Bowling for Columbine focuses more on gun control in general, moreso than violence in schools. Actually, I would have to say stay away from that one if you are doing a project for school, as I believe all the information in school projects is supposed to be accurate, and this films contents are to be questioned, in my opinion. There is some bending of fact by Mr. Moore et al.

_S

Sedai, thanks for the concern, but my project is not about school violence, but its portrayal. Accurate or not, the film must still be addressed.

"I can't help it..."
Bang, Bang You're Dead (Guy Ferland, 2002)
American History X (Tony Kaye, 1998)
Higher Learning (John Singleton, 1995)
Bowling For Columbine (Michael Moore, 2002)
and...
Pups (Ash, 1999) NOTE: This isn't actually about violence in schools, but does include teens using firearms in a hold-up.
or
any film by Larry Clark
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

The only movie I can think of that has school violence is "Carrie" and "Carrie Two" if that is really violence!
Oh and also that horror movie about that mad Headmaster forget the title!and that is it I guess!
Hope you get a good grade on it!See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned, "Heathers" w/ Winona Ryder and Christian Slater, yet.

And for one of the earliest films to deal with the subject, then check out "The Blackboard Jungle" w/ Glen Ford, Sidney Poitier, and Vic Morrow.

And a couple of films from the other side of the pond, "Unman, Witting, and Zigo" w/ David Hemmings, and more importantly, "If . . . " w/ Malcolm McDowell.

There's a movie called Home Room (2002) check that out

Oh yes, Elephant is an extraordinary example of school violence, it's uncomfortably close to the events at Columbine, but good luck finding clips from it if you need them.

Photographer
Elephant was awesome, and my third favorite film of 2003. Brutal.

Another Columbine-esque movie that released in 2003 was Zero Day. I never got a chance to see it, though it was in my town for a short period of time. Very indie.

Goose promised to stop messing around. But hoods don't stop, they take a break.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Joe Popular
Sedai, thanks for the concern, but my project is not about school violence, but its portrayal. Accurate or not, the film must still be addressed.
Damn man,

I completely misread your post. Sorry for the confusion. Good luck on the project, and actually, I am interested in reading it after all is said and done. If your down with that, ship a PDF of the doc my way.

_S

Someone mentioned Heathers, this is a great flick and it still holds up today, which I was surprised to find out.

Originally Posted by Ezekiel2517
Elephant was awesome, in 2003 was Zero Day. I never got a chance to see it, though it was in my town for a short period of time. Very indie.
Elephant was better than Zero day in all directions no doubt about that.

I think Heathers, Dangerous Minds, Home Room, Carrie and Elephant come to mind as great films towards this subject.

Freddys Little Friend
There is a mOvie called The Principal

I belive there is 2 of them

Class of 1992
hehe mroe of a robot sci fi maybe

Originally Posted by Freddy's Friend

Class of 1992
hehe more of a robot sci fi maybe

I loved Class of 1992! I rened it on a whim one time years ago and wow. Now I can't find anywhere.

187 With Samuel L Jackson