Anatomy of a Fall (2023) — Justine Triet

Tools    

Anatomy of a Fall (2023)

Well Hollywood has done it again...they just gender-swapped a crime in the film Anatomy of a Fall. The story is about a husband who suffered a mysterious fall and the wife who is brought up on charges for said fall. The film basically lifts the barebones elements of the Michael Peterson trial (which has already been adapted on Netflix and HBO) so this time we get the lady version of it.

And frankly it's not bad...but it's not excellent either. This is yet another film that had it been 2 hours it could have been a masterpiece. This is a film with a number of kick to the stomach moments in it...but it's offset by a two and a half hour runtime. This movie is longer than the Verdict (1982) but tells just a fraction of the plot. This sucker is long winded.

The characters in the film are good...not great. The filmmaker has this charm where everyone basically speaks a different language...the victim is a French professor the accused is a German novelist so everyone has to speak in English including the half blind son. Sadly the film is always spelling things like that out and not just leaving the viewer to embrace the quirks. All of this adds to the runtime and takes away from any sort of tempo. You never get any sense of momentum with the story.

But the film's not bad..it's good. It's anchored by Sandra Huellers remarkable performance as the accused. All the actors are no names...though the star of the film is the dog Messi. That pup should get a special Oscar for her work in the film. I would recomend waiting for Streaming release and watching it over a week in 30 minute increments

Anatomy of a Fall is terrific. One of the best of the year. It manages to make the viewer almost see what the jury would see and force you to come to a conclusion in your head, knowing that to find a guilty verdict, the accused must be proved to have committed the crime beyond all reasonable doubt/.

As someone who did jury service fairly recently and had an extremely frustrating time, I really thought it was excellent at getting the point across.

9/10

Eh? The lead actress has over 40 credits including an oscar winning film.

Most of the cast are well established actors.

And yet when I go through search not a single post comes up referencing her by name.

And yet when I go through search not a single post comes up referencing her by name.
Which shows that it shouldn't be used as a barometer for these things. She's one of Germany's leading actresses and is also in the new Jonathan Glazer film 'Zone of Interest'..

Which shows that it shouldn't be used as a barometer for these things. She's one of Germany's leading actresses and is also in the new Jonathan Glazer film 'Zone of Interest'..
How nice for her...still never mentioned on the site and she was in one movie I heard about (didn't bother seeing) before hand.

You seem to be taking this very hard and personally why don't you create a vanity thread for whats her name

The trick is not minding
Anatomy of a Fall (2023)

Well Hollywood has done it again...they just gender-swapped a crime in the film Anatomy of a Fall. The story is about a husband who suffered a mysterious fall and the wife who is brought up on charges for said fall. The film basically lifts the barebones elements of the Michael Peterson trial (which has already been adapted on Netflix and HBO) so this time we get the lady version of it.]
It’s weird that you’re blaming this on Hollywood when this is a French film, which is about as far removed from Hollywood as possible.

How nice for her...still never mentioned on the site and she was in one movie I heard about (didn't bother seeing) before hand.

You seem to be taking this very hard and personally why don't you create a vanity thread for whats her name
You made an ignorant comment that you now feel embarrassed about. It's ok. But stop being such a prick.

It’s weird that you’re blaming this on Hollywood when this is a French film, which is about as far removed from Hollywood as possible.

The Hollywood productions came first one from Netflix the other from HBO. Now could I have said hey go see this gender swapped french remake of a Hollywood true crime story...sure I could have...but I didn't.

You made an ignorant comment that you now feel embarrassed about. It's ok. But stop being such a prick.

No I have an opinion and shock of shockers I'm getting dog-piled on. Which is pretty sad for the film because I'm more interesting than I guess you would call this an adaptation featuring an international no-name cast.

The trick is not minding
The Hollywood productions came first one from Netflix the other from HBO. Now could I have said hey go see this gender swapped french remake of a Hollywood true crime story...sure I could have...but I didn't.
This doesn’t even make sense, Siddon.
It’s not a Hollywood film, so your post doesn’t address the mistake of labeling it as one and an instead me ti own the one from Hollywood coming first…in which case…ok? That wasn’t my point?

Was the previous film gender swapped?

And who cares if it was anyways? Does it matter it takes inspiration from the case and switching it to a woman instead? Because it is possible….

This doesn’t even make sense, Siddon.
It’s not a Hollywood film, so your post doesn’t address the mistake of labeling it as one and an instead me ti own the one from Hollywood coming first…in which case…ok? That wasn’t my point?

Was the previous film gender swapped?

And who cares if it was anyways? Does it matter it takes inspiration from the case and switching it to a woman instead? Because it is possible….

It wasn't a film it was two miniseries...one being a Netflix documentary series that came out in 2018 and the other an HBO miniseries that came out last year. It's not a mistake if you don't address every single qualifier.

As for who cares...boy I don't know I think gender swapping a true crime. You could argue that it's a huge violation to Kathleen Peterson to take her death and change around a few things. You could also claim it's artistically bankrupt because you can't come up with an original crime so you lift this vary popular and already adapted crime into some sort of feminist ideal. You could say it's homophobic and bigoted because of the gender swap.

I mean if I hated the film and really wanted to be a dick I could bury this movie. But I don't judge films solely for their political ideology

The trick is not minding
It wasn't a film it was two miniseries...one being a Netflix documentary series that came out in 2018 and the other an HBO miniseries that came out last year. It's not a mistake if you don't address every single qualifier.

As for who cares...boy I don't know I think gender swapping a true crime. You could argue that it's a huge violation to Kathleen Peterson to take her death and change around a few things. You could also claim it's artistically bankrupt because you can't come up with an original crime so you lift this vary popular and already adapted crime into some sort of feminist ideal. You could say it's homophobic and bigoted because of the gender swap.

I mean if I hated the film and really wanted to be a dick I could bury this movie. But I don't judge films solely for their political ideology
Were those mini series gender swapped? I haven’t watched them.
Regardless, this isn’t about those. It’s about this French film, not made in Hollywood, which you haven’t acknowledged.

Also, I don’t think it’s insulting in anyway. It’s not exactly unique to this situation, as people have faked falls for accidental deaths before. I’m sure women have done so in the past. This doesn’t have to be unique to the Petersen trial.

Suggesting it’s homophobic (what?! Based on what facts?) or bigoted (again, what?!) is completely off base.

Were those mini series gender swapped? I haven’t watched them.
Regardless, this isn’t about those. It’s about this French film, not made in Hollywood, which you haven’t acknowledged.

Also, I don’t think it’s insulting in anyway. It’s not exactly unique to this situation, as people have faked falls for accidental deaths before. I’m sure women have done so in the past. This doesn’t have to be unique to the Petersen trial.

Suggesting it’s homophobic (what?! Based on what facts?) or bigoted (again, what?!) is completely off base.
Boy you are just trying to go full gaslighting here aren't you.

I'm sorry you have issue with my choice of jargon would you prefer the terminology Cinematic Industrial Complex.

Its great that you don't think this woman's death that's been exploited multiple times isn't a problem for you. Especially as you didn't see the other adaptations so you think the film only lifted the fall aspect of the story.

I think that this gender swap does have homophobic undertones to it. That a bi-sexual female is more pallet-able than a bi-sexual man. Was this a Hollywood sorry you don't like that term Cinematic Industrial Complex mandate.

The trick is not minding
Boy you are just trying to go full gaslighting here aren't you.

I'm sorry you have issue with my choice of jargon would you prefer the terminology Cinematic Industrial Complex.

Its great that you don't think this woman's death that's been exploited multiple times isn't a problem for you. Especially as you didn't see the other adaptations so you think the film only lifted the fall aspect of the story.

I think that this gender swap does have homophobic undertones to it. That a bi-sexual female is more pallet-able than a bi-sexual man. Was this a Hollywood sorry you don't like that term Cinematic Industrial Complex mandate.
This isn’t gaslighting. It’s a simple disagreement over the calling French film industry “Hollywood”, which you can’t acknowledge was a mistake in said labeling.

And this wasn’t about her death being exploited, which you didn’t even have a problem with until now anyways. Talk about moving the goalposts. I guess if the film kept the original story intact (no gender swap) you wouldn’t have an issue, by implication.

Anyways, it’s clear where this is going.
No where. So I’ll just step away from this conversation.

This isn’t gaslighting. It’s a simple disagreement over the calling French film industry “Hollywood”, which you can’t acknowledge was a mistake in said labeling.

And this wasn’t about her death being exploited, which you didn’t even have a problem with until now anyways. Talk about moving the goalposts. I guess if the film kept the original story intact (no gender swap) you wouldn’t have an issue, by implication.

Anyways, it’s clear where this is going.
No where. So I’ll just step away from this conversation.

Your issue is centered around grammar, which I do not feel is a mistake. Could the sentence have been written better...perhaps.

I would have had a huge problem with the exploitation of the Petersons' if the film was bad. The film wasn't bad...but it also wasn't great because the film blatantly ripped off and lifted many things from the Peterson case. And were we are getting into the gaslighting...you are telling me they didn't rip off the case and then you admit you didn't see The Staircase either versions of it.

You people get offended by the dumbest things while missing things that you could/should be offended by.

The trick is not minding
Your issue is centered around grammar, which I do not feel is a mistake. Could the sentence have been written better...perhaps.

I would have had a huge problem with the exploitation of the Petersons' if the film was bad. The film wasn't bad...but it also wasn't great because the film blatantly ripped off and lifted many things from the Peterson case. And were we are getting into the gaslighting...you are telling me they didn't rip off the case and then you admit you didn't see The Staircase either versions of it.

You people get offended by the dumbest things while missing things that you could/should be offended by.
No. It isn’t about grammar. Jesus. It’s about mislabeling France film industry as Hollywoods. This isn’t hard to understand.

You’re misquoting me. I didn’t say they never ripped it off, although inspired by it was correct here, but rather that the case isn’t exactly unique to the Peterson case. You simply don’t understand Gaslighting.

And finally, I’ve noticed this last sentence is especially true with you. You’re offended by the dumbest things. *

This usually stems from when You make incorrect statements and then get defensive when called out over it. When called out, you don’t acknowledge the point being brought up and straw man.

No. It isn’t about grammar. Jesus. It’s about mislabeling France film industry as Hollywoods. This isn’t hard to understand.

You’re misquoting me. I didn’t say they never ripped it off, although inspired by it was correct here, but rather that the case isn’t exactly unique to the Peterson case. You simply don’t understand Gaslighting.

And finally, I’ve noticed this last sentence is especially true with you. You’re offended by the dumbest things. *

This usually stems from when You make incorrect statements and then get defensive when called out over it. When called out, you don’t acknowledge the point being brought up and straw man.

You know for someone claiming they aren't gaslighting you sure are making a lot of gaslightingesque statements here.

1, You knew what I meant when I said Hollywood. You choose to be offended by this because... Hollywood doesn't even exist anymore all the studios are decentralized and global markets. Oh this company was based in France so it's okay that they took the thing that's been done twice in the last 15 years. You are offended by verbiage but not by theft. And you don't wish to talk about the film or the issues rather you want to speak about me.

2. I'm not misquoting you...you didn't see either project so you don't know how much of a ripoff the film was. It's okay, It's Hollywood...or sorry the Cinematic Industrial Complex I treat Star Wars the same way for stealing from Kurosawa. But you should actually watch one of the Peterson projects before defending or talking about this film. Which you aren't really doing.

3. Yeah I'm not talking about your personality, I'm answering the accusations that are being thrown at me, I'm hearing that I'm angry, embarrassed, ignorant and wrong. Some might say I'm being insulted Once again...not sure why I'm more interesting to you than the movie.