R.P. McMurphy Presents: The Dark Side of The 80's (and other stuff)

Tools    

I want to travel to the UK so badly and see all the old clubs and neighborhoods where punk and post punk was born! Did you see many shows in that era, Christine??
Hi RP, not many big concerts. Saw Queen in a free gig in Hyde Park, and Dylan at Earls Court twice, but we lived in the East End of London and that was our world . Back in those days they were still building council houses so no one wanted to live in the old sink estates so they let off the flats to anyone young , so that's were we moved to. In amongst the original Cockneys we did loads of community stuff with them, It was brilliant, setting up a community centre, having festivals on Hackney Marshes, running bars. We saw loads of bands in local pubs, so all my memories are of local bands. Anyone could sing in one, mainly cos you didn't need to be in tune or play well we also saw some pub Rock bands that were around at the time like Dr Feelgood. tbh its a long time ago, but I remember seeing Oxy and the Morons cos they were around all the time bring local, and the reggae band Black Slate.
There was an amazing vibe at that time in London, kind of edgy. I don't recognise the East End the few times I've been back. It's full of hipsters!

Just here for the free donuts
Just posting this one for tonight. I'm sure everyone is asleep or out partying (it's 11pm on Saturday night for me). Just felt like posting one of my favorites on this shabby list of mine. Enjoy, nerds.

#18:

The Psychedelic Furs-Love My Way

Released:1982

Back to it! I took a few weeks off for a couple rerasons: 1. I'm extraordinarily lazy. 2. There were so many other music threads at the time that I decided to be selfish and wait to finish mine so it wasn't (quite as) overlooked. So here we go, on with the list! (and for some of you, the suffering, I'm sure )

A Flock of Seagulls- Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Back to it! I took a few weeks off for a couple rerasons: 1. I'm extraordinarily lazy. 2. There were so many other music threads at the time that I decided to be selfish and wait to finish mine so it wasn't (quite as) overlooked. So here we go, on with the list! (and for some of you, the suffering, I'm sure )

A Flock of Seagulls- Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)

I don't know much about A Flock of Seagulls, except that my sister used to listen to them. (I think her favorite song was "I Ran".)

My only memory of them is when my sister would get into an argument with my mother, my sister would threaten to have her hair styled just like the singer in A Flock of Seagulls. (The second guy in from the left who kind of looks like a blonde version of Wolverine. )

Sinead O'Connor- Nothing Compares 2 U

Released:1990

Though this song was originally written by Prince, it was really made a mainstream smash hit in 1990 by Sinead. Get it, girl.

I don't know much about A Flock of Seagulls, except that my sister used to listen to them. (I think her favorite song was "I Ran".)

My only memory of them is when my sister would get into an argument with my mother, my sister would threaten to have her hair styled just like the singer in A Flock of Seagulls. (The second guy in from the left who kind of looks like a blonde version of Wolverine. )
That is a pretty devastating threat to a parent! haha I think the song "I Ran" is easily their most known song and their biggest hit. It's sad to me because they actually have MUCH better songs (the 2 songs of theirs that I have on this list) but they will forever be over-shadowed by that dam "I Ran" song. Just a shame really.

You have some good tunes here... I think Im a bit older than you.... I never was much into 80's hair bands... I prefer southern rock or just rock..... 80's hair bands came out in my junior or senior year of high school.. I was a bit older school than that..... I listed to pretty much anything else in the 80's... was never a fan of rap/hip hop or country tho....

Thanks, MovieGal. What do you mean by "hair bands" tho? When I think of 80's hair bands, I think Posion and The Scorpions, like Glam Rock or, my personal favorite term, Butt Rock I don't think I have anything like that on here but happy that you like the list and thanks for all the rep

the difference between the Who and Motley Crue... I would rather listen to The Who, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Styx than Poison, Ratt and Whitesnake.