Meg (Megalodon Shark Movie)

Tools    

Based on the book about a Megalodon, by Steven Alten.

Been in development hell since the mid 1990s...

News in is that Jason Statham is to star as Jonas Taylor.

Books are "Meg", "Primal Waters", "Hell's Aquarium", "Night Stalkers" and "Origins" so there's room for plenty of sequels so Hollywood doesn't have to remake Jaws as of yet.
Though they probably are thinking about it given the sheer amount of remakes they're churning out for as-low-a-budget-as-possible right now.

Thoughts?

It all depends on who is directing. Thats everything to a "monster movie" or however youd categorize this. I havent read the books (or heard of them till now), but thats my first take.

I wish Jason Statham didnt become an action star. He was awesome in Snatch and really has been wasted since.

Books are "Meg", "Primal Waters", "Hell's Aquarium", "Night Stalkers" and "Origins" so there's room for plenty of sequels so Hollywood doesn't have to remake Jaws as of yet.
Though they probably are thinking about it given the sheer amount of remakes they're churning out for as-low-a-budget-as-possible right now.?
I'm surprised they didn't bring back Jaws for 2015 and call it Jaws 19. No more weird than MIB 23.

They're both crap, but Snatch is the more watchable of the two.
I'm agree at least Brad Pitt is some kind of entertaining in Snatch

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Nope, but we'll have to agree to disagree sir. Personally I like Hatchet Harry more than Brick Top for villains, and I liked Vinnie Jones as Big Chris better than him as Bullet Tooth Tony. And while I don't think they're crap, I don't think they're particularly good either.

They only started shooting 3 days ago.
They've had film crews going out for a while now, and a whale prop last week.
I'm not sure what they were doing then, if they only stared for real a few days ago.

Just done some more research on this... they started shooting 3 days ago... but according to IMDb, all of the CGI and effects shots were completed in March 2016.

I can't fathom then why the movie is still going to take another 18 months before it's released.

Wow, everyone will have forgotten all about it by then xD

So basically a bigger Jaws. I wonder how many Jaws allusions and easter eggs there will be. I grew up obsessed with Megalodon. "The whale eater". I couldnt read enough about it when I was a kid. But this was before Discovery Channel made it a constant feature and convinced a generation that there was still some down there just bidding their time... So I come to this super jaded assuming it will be more exploitative drivel. And what a terrible title! Just a matter of time before Family Guy spoofs it. Probably just should have gone straight to ichthyosaurs. Cant get any bigger than that.

I think it looks kinda fun tbh.

I was expecting a totally OTT serious movie that just comes off as hammy... like the sort of thing that The Asylum pumps out several times a year.
From the trailer, it looks tongue-in-cheek and kinda goofy, with some proper choreography and stuff to back it up.

Although, Turteltaub, the guy behind a few misses and hits like Phenomenon, National Treasure 1&2 and 3 Ninjas, as director... means it'll probably be a slick looking well photographed movie, but middle-of-the-road in terms of finished product.

It's been in development for 20 years and started filming in October 2016, completed filming in January 2017... with a release date of August 10 2018... means there's been 18 months of post-production.
There's 1 of 2 things here.
1. Might turn out to be a decent shark movie
2. The 18 months of post-production means the Warner suits have been messing with the cut and it'll be a total pile of garbage.

I'm expecting something akin to a cross between Piranha 3D (2010) and Deep Blue Sea (1999).