Movies You Dislike By Directors You Love?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I couldn't even get past the 20 minute mark of Robert Altman's "Cookie's Fortune".. I saw an Altman movie a week ago that was also not so good "Perfect Couple".. This one in particular was very slow moving, with nothing interesting. He's made a few of my favorite movies (Nashville, McCabe and Mrs. Miller) but a few horrible ones as well.

I love Frank Capra, but I couldn't watch "Arsenic and Old Lace"

I wouldn't call myself a Fellini fan, but my #2 favorite is "La Strada" but that was about it.

John Cassavetes is not only a great independent director, but an even more interesting guy, though "Killing of a Chinese Bookie" was bad.

Good topic Matt, I tried twice to get through Orson Welles' The Trial but couldn't finish. I gave it like 45 minutes the second time too.

I couldn't stand Woody Allen's Magic in the Moonlight, but I do like most all of his other films that I've seen.

I couldn't even get past the 20 minute mark of Robert Altman's "Cookie's Fortune"..

Must confess that I'm one of the few people on the planet who liked Cookie's Fortune.

This topic has been broached on these boards before, but I'll go ahead and answer again:

Love Sidney Lumet, but hated The Wiz

Love Robert Altman but hated Brewster McCloud

Love Mel Brooks, but hated Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Love Ron Howard but hated The Grinch

Love Woody Allen but hated Annie Hall

Love Vincente Minnelli but hated Gigi

Love Steven Spielberg but hated AI

Love Billy Wilder but hated Witness for the Prosecution (I know, I know, I stand alone on this one)

Must confess that I'm one of the few people on the planet who liked Cookie's Fortune.

This topic has been broached on these boards before, but I'll go ahead and answer again:

Love Billy Wilder but hated Witness for the Prosecution (I know, I know, I stand alone on this one)
I did a few searches, but I know there are a few glitches.

I also love Billy Wilder, but "Witness..." was the only drama of his I didn't like. I also don't care for his comedies - I couldn't get past the cross-dressing nonsense in "Some Like It Hot", I tried though, it's just too weird for me.

I do love Annie Hall (and Manhattan) so I'm curious what your favorite Woody Allen movies are - I've seen less than half.

I forgot to mention Orson Welles... I love Citizen Kane, but that's about it. "The Trial" is a difficult movie to watch, it has a lot of anxiety, but it's ok.. I rather watch Orson's interviews.

I do love Annie Hall (and Manhattan) so I'm curious what your favorite Woody Allen movies are - I've seen less than half.

I think Hannah and her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Radio Days, Husband and Wives, Manhattan, Broadway Danny Rose, Deconstructing Harry, and Manhattan Murder Mystery are all better films than Annie Hall.

I have to return some videotapes...

Yes and yes, but also:

Love David Fincher but hated Alien 3

Love Tarantino but hated Hateful Eight

Love Duncan Jones but hated Warcraft

Love David O. Russell but hated Joy

Welcome to the human race...
Martin Scorsese - The Departed
Coen brothers - Intolerable Cruelty
Richard Linklater - Bad News Bears
Terry Gilliam - The Brothers Grimm
John Carpenter - Memoirs of an Invisible Man/Ghosts of Mars/The Ward
Quentin Tarantino - Death Proof
Michael Mann - Public Enemies

The African Queen.
Ah yes.. Huston is one of my favorite directors, and I love Bogart, but "The African Queen" was kinda boring, I know they aren't gonna drown in the beginning of the movie, so it was a lot of formality..

I have quite a few on DVR - do you have favorites? Mine is "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", loved The Misfits, I also liked Key Largo, Asphalt Jungle..

Master of My Domain
Tim Burton - most movies he's done post-Sleepy Hollows, except Corpse Bride, which was decent.
Darren Aronofsky - The Fountain
Charlie Kaufman - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
John Lasseter - Cars 2 (piece of sh*t! Bleh!)

Ah yes.. Huston is one of my favorite directors, and I love Bogart, but "The African Queen" was kinda boring,
Oh God, I thought it was just me...I don't think The African Queen is boring but it is definitely overrated and Bogart winning the Oscar over Brando for Streetcar was all kinds of wrong.

Scorsese - Cape Fear
Coen - The Ladykillers. Also don't like No Country but i wouldn't say i hate it.
Hitchcock - The Trouble With Harry. Same with Rear Window as No Country
Von Trier - Nympomaniac Parts 1 & 2
Alexander Payne - Citizen Ruth
David Lynch - Dune. Also same with Wild at Heart as No Country and Rear Window

Tim Burton - most movies he's done post-Sleepy Hollows, except Corpse Bride, which was decent.
Darren Aronofsky - The Fountain
Charlie Kaufman - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
John Lasseter - Cars 2 (piece of sh*t! Bleh!)
Personally I think that's his best film and now I feel like his career is built up on retreading Jim Carrey's same character trying to recapture the same emotion. What's your problem with the film?

I quite like Eternal Sunshine but i prefer Being John Malkovich, Adaptation and especially Anomalisa to it. Haven't seen Syndoche New York yet.
While I like Anomalisa, I can't fully get into it because I feel like this is all Kaufman ever deals with, his body of work consists of characters having mid life crises and then suddenly finding a revelation of some kind. I'm getting tired of buying a ticket to his films and seeing the same archetypes. To be fair I haven't seen Being John Malkovich or Syndoche yet so who knows what those are like.

Coen Brothers - Hudsucker Proxy
T. Malik - To The Wonder

Ah yes.. Huston is one of my favorite directors, and I love Bogart, but "The African Queen" was kinda boring, I know they aren't gonna drown in the beginning of the movie, so it was a lot of formality..
You're nuts....The African Queen isn't an adventure movie, it's a romance movie. That's why I love it for the chemisty between Hepburn and Bogart. John Huston is brilliant in most everything he directed.

I have quite a few [Huston] on DVR - do you have favorites? Mine is "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", loved The Misfits, I also liked Key Largo, Asphalt Jungle..

These are my favorites of Huston's films, which is just about all of the one's I watched. I love them all.

1975 The Man Who Would Be King
1972 The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
1964 The Night of the Iguana
1961 The Misfits
1960 The Unforgiven
1957 A Farewell to Arms (uncredited)
1957 Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
1956 Moby Dick
1953 Beat the Devil
1952 Moulin Rouge
1951 The African Queen
1950 The Asphalt Jungle
1948 Key Largo
1948 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
1942 Across the Pacific
1942 In This Our Life
1941 The Maltese Falcon

The only John Huston movie I didn't care for was: 1967 Reflections in a Golden Eye. I'm not saying he did a bad job, I just didn't care for the movie.