My Favorite Oscar Worthy Performances in Comedy Films

Tools    

Reese Witherspoon, Election

For my money, Witherspoon's best performance...Tracy Flick is an overachieving high school student who will do anything it takes to be elected student body president...some of the things this character does are a little chilling and Witherspoon doesn't shy away from the less than sterling qualities of the character and she is the thing you come away from this movie remembering. Her Oscar-winning performance in Walk the Line doesn't touch this.

Couldn't agree more with Reese Witherspoon in Election, it is her best performance i agree. It would actually be higher on mine. Matthew Broderick was really good too i thought.

Bill Murray, Groundhog Day

Murray gives a razor sharp performance as a weatherman who travels to Puxataney, PA for the Groundhog Day ceremony and can't get back because every day that he wakes up, it's still Groundhog Day. Murray gives a performance that is as intelligent as it is funny.

Eddie Murphy, Bowfinger

Murphy did Oscar-worthy work in a dual role as an arrogant action star and a look-alike hired to be his stunt double...Murphy creates two very distinct characters here and nails both of them.

Tom Cruise, Tropic Thunder

Robert Downey Jr. received an Oscar nomination for his performance in this film, but Cruise was Oscar-worthy and almost unrecognizable as the producer of the title film who thinks the kidnapping of his star is just a hoax...Cruise was hysterical in this movie, who knew Cruise could be funny?

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Bill Murray, Groundhog Day

Murray gives a razor sharp performance as a weatherman who travels to Puxataney, PA for the Groundhog Day ceremony and can't get back because every day that he wakes up, it's still Groundhog Day. Murray gives a performance that is as intelligent as it is funny.
This is an excellent choice, and I'd say The Razor's Edge (his first serious movie, in case you're wondering) also shows just how good an actor he is.

Carell maybe could have gotten nominated, but the rest are really asinine choices. The only real comedy performance that I've seen that I think should have won was RDJ in Tropic Thunder.
Comedy really needs their own awards ceremony. Globes don't represent comedies.

I think Eddie Murphy in Bowl Finger and Jim Carrey in Me, Myself and Irene should have gotten some kind of recognition. They, to me, were amazing performances.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Gideon, nice list so far. Even though this following term is a music reference, I'll refer to some of your picks as "deep cuts." For instance:

High Anxiety, Harvey Korman. This is my personal favorite Mel Brooks movie and my favorite Harvey Korman role. I love Hitchcock, so this movie was right in my wheelhouse but I think anyone could enjoy it.

Starting Over, Burt Reynolds. I think this is the best acting that Burt has ever done. Although some of his other movies are favorites, he really showed off his chops here instead of just playing "Burt," the good old boy as he did in lots of movies...not that there was anything wrong with that.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Jim Carrey. I'm one of the few people I know who can find no wrong with this movie. And Jim Carrey did indeed shine in this.

The there are some that are not "deep cuts" per se, but popular picks like:

Young Frankenstein, Cloris Leachman. Awesome performance. "Yes! Yes! Say it! He was my boyfriend!"

Groundhog Day, Bill Murray. One of his many classic performances and one of the best.

The Nutty Professor, Eddie Murphy. So good in so many roles. The crass grandma was my particular favorite.

I like all the rest that you've picked except for the ones I haven't seen, like Tom Ewell and Jack Lemmon's performances. Looking forward to the rest of the list!

Bill Murray, Tootsie

The role is not large (Murray even refused billing in the opening credits) but he gets major laughs every second he appears onscreen.

Billy Crystal, When Harry Met Sally

Crystal's razor sharp performance and undeniable chemistry with his leading lady helped make this performance a winner.

Woody Allen, Broadway Danny Rose

He is definitely a better writer and director than actor and he did receive a Lead Actor nomination for Annie Hall, but I would have nominated him for this performance.

Jeff Bridges, The Big Lebowski

Bridges' delivers a breezy comic performance at the center of this loopy cult classic that I think works because Bridges seems to be truly enjoying himself.

Sean Penn, Fast Times at Ridgemont High

He would go on to win two Outstanding Lead Actor Oscars for dramatic roles but this inspired comic turn is what officially made him a movie star.