The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've not seen either film since the 80's. I used to really like The Fly and didn't care for The Purple Rose Of Cairo at all. I'm not sure how I'd feel about them now, but I suspect that, if anything changed, I'd dislike them both. I might find out one day.

I also like that SC had a gif war with himself and proved himself wrong by posting significantly better gifs for Near Dark.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Haven't seen The Fly in forever, although it is a great film. Nasty,sickening and almost tragic. Seeing a sympathetic character degrade into an inhuman monster is very disturbing.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
EVIL DEAD II - I don't really care for it, although it has its moments. I quite like Army of Darkness but not this.
CINEMA PARADISO - Good film, although I'm not as mad for it as some people.
THE KARATE KID - haven't seen it.
STAND BY ME - Have seen it, like it, narrowly missed my list.
THE FLY - Haven't seen it, not sure it's my sort of film.
THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO - On my list at no. 20. That makes it a grand total of 2 films from my top 25 so far in this countdown. I just really really like the breaking down of the fourth wall, and what this film says about the relationship between the audience and cinema, and how cinema itself is really her true love in this film. I feel like this is more of a story than most of Woody Allen's other films. I think it helps that Allen himself isn't actually in it.

The Fly is great and I adore The Purple Rose of Caďro. The latter one was on my list, actually! It was #19. I'm suprised that it's higher than Crimes and Misdemeanors, but it is one of his most popular films on this forum, so it's not that surprising. I wonder if another Woody film is going to make it. I voted for 3 more!

Purple Rose of Cairo is good but not my favourite Allen film. I actually don't particularly like Mia Farrow so she detracts from his films that she is in.
-

The Fly is excellent. Really surprised it is so low - it was number 19 on my list.
-

From my list:

14. City of Sadness
19. The Fly
22. A Time to Live A Time to Die
23. Cinema Paradiso

I've not seen either film since the 80's. I used to really like The Fly and didn't care for The Purple Rose Of Cairo at all. I'm not sure how I'd feel about them now, but I suspect that, if anything changed, I'd dislike them both. I might find out one day.
Are you ever going to hate Drew Barrymore? You seem to dislike stuff after awhile.

I also like that SC had a gif war with himself and proved himself wrong by posting significantly better gifs for Near Dark.
They sucked and Chainsaw 2 won.

Woody is done, until the 70s that is
Well, there's one more Woody film I also voted for that has a few fans around here, so that one might still make it. The other two pretty much have no chance at all, despite the fact that I've put one of those two VERY high on my list.

Chainsaw Massacre 2 shouldn't even be discussed in this thread, its turd. Near Dark is miles better.
You know nothing.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Two good movies. I saw Purple Rose of Cairo of one of the movie hall of fames. The Fly I saw when I was really young and it freaked me out.

Really enjoying the list so far. Stand by Me is a personal favourite of mine.

Are you ever going to hate Drew Barrymore? You seem to dislike stuff after awhile.
I doubt it very much, but I suppose it's possible.

The reason I say that I might not like The Fly anymore, if I saw it, is that I now find Jeff Goldblum really annoying.