The Bat Movies

→ in
Tools    

Don't have mentions on mate so i just saw this now, yeah it's a good idea. If you guys get back to Batman and you end up doing any of TAS let me know and i'll join in. Best show
Saw recently there's a new set for Batman: The Complete Animated Series coming out in October this year. Oh gawd, guess I wasn't kidding with my promotions post, I am becoming like a cheesy marketing salesguy. Aside from what I may have caught on TV as a kid, I haven't seen much of this. So I'd like to acquire this new set and get into it later in the year, especially if Cat and Camo are interested too, I think @Saunch mentioned enjoying it too so maybe he could join too if he wants and anyone else as well.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	hrlyq.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	47182   Click image for larger version

Name:	joke er.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	47183  

I have more to say about Batman & Robin. In conclusion, we could unravel the universe's puzzles and mysteries by talking about the movie Batman & Robin, in fact. There was another class I took, in the summer of 2016. It was called Studies in American History: The 1960s Through Film. One of the core themes we approached was Hollywood as the world's dream factory. In the class, we watched and discussed many 1960s films, studied 1960s history and culture, made connections and links between the two, and wrote graded essays. We got into the counter-culture and rise of hippie culture. Interestingly, at the same time I was taking that course, the The Top 100 Movies of the 1960s Countdown was going on here, hosted by @Daniel M . It was virtually sheer luck that I chose to take that class, and then several semesters later take the Hollywood Cinema class with the theme of the postmodern in 1990s films I mentioned in my Batman & Robin post. What I learned about it all is that postmodern ideology was what evolved out of the hippie culture, the flower children who had been hippies grew into the postmodern worldview. It's like a big picture that we touched on, and I've tied together and thought about since. For example, in the Hollywood Cinema class, we watched Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, which of course is full of postmodern ideology and focuses on the writer Hunter S. Thompson who witnessed, participated, and wrote about that crazy 60s and 70s hippie environment.

So what the hell does any of this have to do with Batman & Robin (1997)? Well I believe all that hippie culture about remaking the world, which grew into the postmodern philosophy, is implanted and ingrained in Hollywood films and pop culture. There are many principles to the postmodern, but one of them is that it claims to oppose all "meta-narratives" which attempt to universally explain the world and existence through vehicles such as religion, history, and rejects notions of objective reality and truth. To transition straight to the topic at hand, films, I find it interesting to consider the power that films and the film industry holds. The movie industry conditions us to identify what qualifies as good or worthwhile in film, against what is silly, unworthy, or unimportant- through institutions such as the Academy and other film award events. The movie industry wants to tell us the audience what the good movies are. So do the movies have power over you? Or do you have power over the movies?

That's why I want to erase everything about what I'm told the "great" movies are, whether from some film institution, or by some collected score of a movie's rating by some unknown algorithm system which holds some opinions as weighing more than others, along with vote-rigging through puppet multiple accounts for producing some final internet score. I want to throw all that out the window. And watch with fresh eyes. For example, when I watched Batman & Robin this weekend, I was reminded of seeing this movie in the theater, when I was ten, with probably my best childhood friend. It was maybe a year before my family moved to a different city. Anyways, this was a fun experience, seeing this movie in the theater with my childhood friend. After the movie, we were walking around a sports store, I think it was Sports Authority, and that R Kelly song "Gotham City" played. It was 1997, before I had any concept of internet, and I recall making the connection, oh, that was the song in the end credits of the movie. That's neat. But I had no concept of going and finding the song again, to listen to. I had forgotten about all of this, until I watched the movie again. It is a happy memory. I still don't know if I said everything about Batman & Robin. Maybe more will come. I also wanted to post these two pictures from the movie. The first is of Poison Ivy and Mr. Bane in an alley-way. The second is of a rundown Ice Snow Cone shop with the batmobile parked in front, from the movie, on the fence are signs that read:

Poison
Danger: Do Not Enter
No Trespassing
Warning! Keep Out

The End (for now) by Nostromo
Attachments

Name:	poison ivy and mr bane.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	47186   Click image for larger version

Name:	ice snow cone.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	47187  

This might just do nobody any good.
I remember being rather surprised that Bane got a cinematic redeeming before Freeze and even Ivy with Dark Knight Rises. I’d love to see the latter two done rightly on film someday.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I would vote for your Freeze with the only challenger being Vandal Savage. Those two could be so great...together?

Freeze ala BTAS on the big screen is self-explanatory. VS using flashbacks to his conquests through history would be so easy to get right.

I gave up buying media for the most part, but I could see myself buying the BTAS series and the complete Venture Bros. set one day. And probably never watching either.

Among other things, maybe @ 5:04 explains a lot...

Entertaining thread, @Nostromo87. I like your ideas and enthusiasm. Unfortunately, between the animated series, the animated movies, the live-action movies, and the video games (just finally got around to playing Arkham City earlier this year), I'm a bit a bored with The Bat myself. I love Batman (89) and consider it the best superhero film, although I'm sure nostalgia plays a heavy part in that. As a kid, I used to attach a black trash bag to my shirt with a couple of clothespins and run around the yard with my ghetto cape pretending I was the Caped Crusader himself. (Who am kidding? I still do that! ) Also caught Batman Forever and Batman & Robin in theaters and loved both. Even had a Batman & Robin poster overlooking my bed, so rubber nipples were the last thing I saw before closing my eyes every night. Then it became uncool to love those movies because of their silliness, but something tells me I might love them again if I watched them now, and your excellent write-ups on Batman & Robin only added to that suspicion. I think Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are great movies, but in general I'm not a fan of this serious, dramatic tone in comic-book films nowadays. Batman v. Superman was a joyless slog, in my opinion. Never been a fan of Ben Affleck as an actor, so whether he wets @cat_sidhe's panties or not, I think he's done a poor job with his portrayal and comes across bored and disinterested.

I wish we lived in a world where the bottom dollar didn't matter and we could get crazy, weird iterations of Batman in our movies. Give me stand-alone films with a different actor playing Batman every time. Let visionary directors take a spin with the material. I want to see a black-and-white noir set in Gotham with Batman using his detective skills a lot more than his fighting skills. I want to see a psychological horror film set in Arkham Asylum. Adapt Batman Beyond to the big screen and amplify the cyberpunk element. Batman is a great character with the best rogues' gallery of any superhero, so there's a ton of interesting stories and avenues to explore in unique fashion. I'm sure plenty of comic books that have done just that, but I've never been a comic book guy, so instead let me see what weirdness David Lynch would do with the character, or listen in on the random conversations that Tarantino would cook up with his buddy-cop take on Batman and Robin.

@Captain Spaulding

This thread started, I think, with challenging myself to uncover just what it is I like about these stories. @cat_sidhe made a comment about how George Clooney's Bruce Wayne was just too happy. That's right, but at the same time I don't see it as a bad. It was the late-1990s, entertainment culture WAS happy. You mentioned Batman Begins & The Dark Knight, and they're both really well-made, but they're so serious they almost feel like burial ceremonies for the dead. That's the polar opposite of Schumacher's take. There has to be middle ground, and if they're not going to explore the horror elements in-play with the German expressionism that could clearly be there (think films like The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1920), then the serious-action take doesn't hit it for me either. The Burton films are probably the most complete, if pressed right now, I've actually enjoyed the Schumacher takes lately, possibly bc they're so much in contrast to the kind of movies we see nowadays. But I'd have to rewatch the Burtons to be sure.

"You two boys aren't gonna start fighting over little ole me now, are you?"

Attachments

Name:	Bmn89.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	47509  

Never been a fan of Ben Affleck as an actor, so whether he wets @cat_sidhe's panties or not, I think he's done a poor job with his portrayal and comes across bored and disinterested.
Of course, I disagree, but probably because I like graphic novel Batman, who's pretty serious. Comic Batman may be happier, but I haven't read the old classics since I was a kid.

@cat_sidhe made a comment about how George Clooney's Bruce Wayne was just too happy. That's right, but at the same time I don't see it as a bad. It was the late-1990s, entertainment culture WAS happy.
I don't see it as bad either, it is fun, but it doesn't affect me on an emotional level, whereas serious Batman does.

I guess I want to be touched.

I always liked this recut video with the idea of making "Alfred and Bruce" a TV series (in the spirit of Smallville)

Of course, they came out with "Gotham" which, like all other comic-based TV series, I didn't view.

Batman & Robin
Original Release Date: June 20, 1997

The film begins with a trip to the Gotham Museum of Art, because a guy named Freeze wants to steal some diamonds to bring his frozen wife back too life. And Freeze is frozen too, because he fell into a a big vat of some frosty toxins while researching a cure. There's a scene where Bruce Wayne and Chris O'Donnell's Robin watch video footage of the accident. I completely lmao at maximum at this flashback scene of Freeze falling into the vat. It is amazing. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a doctor, is calmly standing at a desk, and then randomly falls backwards screaming into the dreaded vat. I tried to go find a video of it on YouTube, but it wasn't there. All-time great scene. Also, there's this girl named Pamela Isley. She works for a doctor too, an insane doctor named Dr. Woodrue. He messes and mixes around with steroids and venom, creating Mr. Bane. After that, he tries to kill his employee Pamela Isley with poison, who is a big nerd hipster obsessed with nature. But instead of killing her, the poison turns her into an attractive combination of a Greek Goddess Aphrodite Pagan Hippie aka Posion Ivy.

So there's a Doctor Freeze who has a frozen wife, who also froze by randomly falling into a vat of toxins while researching the cure for his frozen wife, and there's another doctor who has a hippie girl working for him who gets poisoned too. This is outstanding story writing, I am convinced. Okay, where are we, *checks notes*, oh- Poison Ivy's lips are filled with venom, and she's the embodiment representation of raging postmodern philosophy. She calls a policeman a Fascist bulldog. She proclaims Batman and Robin are the militant arm of the warm-blooded oppressors. After she joins up with Mr Freeze, she manipulates him from unleashing his revenge rage not just on Batman and Robin, but on the entire society that created them too! Fascinating. I'm happy I had a class last year that studied 1990s films through a postmodernism lens, and it created whole new layers and dimensions to stories that otherwise would've flown over my head. On top of that charm, there's also some absolutely amazing lines all within a one-minute span at one point. Poison Ivy and Bane rescue Freeze from Arkham Asylum, bringing his big ridiculous armor suit, to which he proclaims, "A laundry service that delivers, WOW!" Shortly after, upon finding more diamonds to steal, Poison Ivy announces, "I'll help you grab your rocks!" When the three escape from Arkham, Freeze shouts, "I hope Mr. Bane can swim!" *Then they jump off a 8 million foot cliff into a river.

In the first part of the movie, Alicia Silverstone struck me as aggravating, set against how engaging Uma Thurman's Ivy was. Interestingly, it flipped by the end. Meanwhile, at the batcave, Alfred is sick and dying, and there's actually a central heart to the story with George Clooney's Batman having flashbacks to his childhood, and Alfred as a father figure. But then there's a scene by Alfred's bedside where Bruce gets, like, noticably affectionate, and it's suddenly super weird, a single moment that was like a wtf-what-was-that? mind-scramble. There's a jungle of postmodernism here to explore, yet at the same time can be enjoyed on the surface as well. There's a moment too where Robin tries to save Silverstone's Batgirl, yet there's a gender role-reversal where Batgirl saves Robin instead. Time to thaw the ice over our dead-serious movie hearts. Forget everything you know, or think you know, total 1990's time capsule by Joel Schumacher. There's even a point where I'd love to hang around right now and organize this more, but I've gotta head to sleep before ANOTHER night shift this evening. Await your ideas @cat_sidhe ! Put it in the books. Some lyrics from R Kelly's end credits song.
A city of justice, a city of love
A city of peace, for everyone of us
We all need it, can't live without it
Gotham City

Don't you want one
Please excuse me, gotta go watch Freeze fall in the vat again. Oh gah, didn't even get to his change of heart where Freeze cures Alfred.

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

Gotham City - by R Kelly

It's the best post I've made

Next Door To Happiness Lives Sorrow
And Signals Of Solution In The Sky

Loud Quiet Nights In The Midst Of Crime

Attachments

Name:	BR1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	48770   Click image for larger version

Name:	BR2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	48771   Click image for larger version

Name:	BR3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	48772  

It's way wacked, I'm so big on Natman & Robin (1997)

Attachments

Name:	BR97.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	54866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Batman Poison.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	54867