Actors and actresses only known for one role...

Tools    

I can't believe I just thought of this one, but no matter what he does in his career, Tim Curry will always be associated with the role of Dr. Frank-N-Furter in The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

The one that instantly comes to mind for me is Louise Fletcher, of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest fame. I can't think of anything else she's been in.

What other actors and actresses are renowned for one particular role, but little else?
You mean just one movie, right? Not one type of character (ex. Jack Nicholson constantly portraying psychotic characters).

Harvey Keitel (Mr. White) from Reservoir Dogs - he was in other movies, but this is the only major role that he's known for.

Surely he's better know as Mr. Wolf? I mean, for me, he's Sport in Taxi Driver, but I think if I had to narrow his career down to one role, it'd be Mr. Wolf.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Harvey Keitel (Mr. White) from Reservoir Dogs - he was in other movies, but this is the only major role that he's known for.
Fail. Harvey Keitel has been in loads of stuff.

Fail. Harvey Keitel has been in loads of stuff.
90s and onward. I don't think that he's been known post-Reservoir Dogs for anything notable. Most people born in the 80s-90s have never seen Taxi Driver.

Born in the 80's. Taxi Driver is my favorite movie.
I'm sure it's a great film like Sorcese's other films are. Truth though is most people 90s and onward have probably only heard of it from the John Hinkley Jr. assassination attempt on Reagan. If someone wasn't old enough to see Taxi Driver the year it was released, then Reservoir Dogs is his only notable role. Not to mention he wasn't the lead role in Taxi Driver anyway (leads are what I had in mind).

Well you are still ignoring films like Bad Lieutenant and Mean Streets. His (arguably) most known role does not mean his only. And you make a lot of assumptions about the whole age thing. After all a few people here who have seen and love the movie were not alive to see it in the cinema.

Besides Keitel has done some of his best work as a supporting actor.

I was thinking of Bad Lieutenant, but I don't think the name is recognisable, even if the film is and I wondered how remembered/known it is outside of film fanatics. I still think it's Mr. Wolf. It's 20 years since Pulp Fiction and I saw him playing Mr. Wolf today in an ad for insurance.

Well you are still ignoring films like Bad Lieutenant and Mean Streets. His (arguably) most known role does not mean his only. And you make a lot of assumptions about the whole age thing. After all a few people here who have seen and love the movie were not alive to see it in the cinema.

Besides Keitel has done some of his best work as a supporting actor.
I was going by averages. I'm aware that the average site member has a much more diverse taste in film than the average Joe. I don't think however the average man on the street born after the 90s would know him for anything but Reservoir Dogs (if they even knew his name at all).

I was going by averages. I'm aware that the average site member has a much more diverse taste in film than the average Joe. I don't think however the average man on the street born after the 90s would know him for anything but Reservoir Dogs (if they even knew his name at all).
Harvey Keitel has no business being on this thread...this actor has been around too long and done too many roles to be associated with just one.

Marlon Wayans in Requiem For A Dream
Ryan Reynolds in Buried
Mark Hamill in Star Wars
Micheal Clarke Duncan in The Green Mile
Joel Edgerton in Warrior
Ashton Kutcher in The Butterfly Effect
You really should look at the IMDB pages for Ryan Reynolds, Marlon Wayans, and Ashton Kutcher.

Harvey Keitel has no business being on this thread...this actor has been around too long and done too many roles to be associated with just one.
"Lead roles" is what I had in mind