B-Movie HoF

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Good going Gunslinger! I'm hoping to watch your nom tomorrow night.
I had to read that twice since I read the word Nom as Mom.....

Suspect's Reviews

The Exterminator

This was the nomination I was most looking forward to. I remember how bad I wanted to see it when it came out, but I was only 9 and had no way to do so. I finally watched it at some point in my late teens, and I could remember not liking it that much, but I could not remember anything about the movie, or why I had felt that way. It's a movie that I always wanted to watch again. I think it's the perfect B movie, because the way it's filmed only accentuates the depravity of what's on screen. If this was some slick production, it wouldn't work nearly as well. The movie works as a nasty exploitation flick, but it also feels fairly realistic. This movie kicks ass!

Verdict: Very good

On a side note, there's a decapitation early on in the movie. What's freaky about this, is that not long after, John Landis was filming The Twilight Zone on the exact same set. A horrifying accident occured that decapitated actor Vic Morrow, and also took the lives of two young girls. Believe it or not, footage from this accident can be found on YouTube.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

Humanoids From the Deep

"We gotta get the **** off this boat!"

I found myself wondering if this was literal because the boat was on fire and they were going to perish, or does that statement somehow foreshadow the events in the rest of the film?

Actually the movie itself was pretty good and I did enjoy it(But I love this kind of thing) The creatures struck me as a combo of The Creature from the Black Lagoon and the aliens from Mars attacks stuck in a ghillie suit. At times a cautionary tale of youth gone (not so) wild, loved the part where the dude copped a feel before he got his day ruined, him swimming after is too good. Throw a good helping of 80's babes with feathered hair and that au naturel look, crazy bloodthirsty monsters, cheesy innuendos ("Wanna see my woodpecker?" "Will I get splinters?") and secluded locales and the formula is complete.

At times though a bit too formulaic perhaps, I found myself switching tabs while just listening to it at times, whenever I thought I heard something good I'd rewind it and make sure I caught what I missed, but it was never anything I'd have missed too badly. I also found that this film made heavy use of the psycho shower scene music, which I find minimally jarring. Loved the scene where the naked chick ran into the waiting arms of our titular fiend. I will for sure be watching this again

Will hopefully watch Ghost Ship tonight. I'm not sure how it's a b-movie, but whatever.

It's technically not dude, it was done by Dark Castle Entertainment(subsidiary of Silver pictures) and Village Roadshow Pictures. It was a big budget, Hollywood produced affair.

The Exterminator

This was the nomination I was most looking forward to. I remember how bad I wanted to see it when it came out, but I was only 9 and had no way to do so. I finally watched it at some point in my late teens, and I could remember not liking it that much, but I could not remember anything about the movie, or why I had felt that way. It's a movie that I always wanted to watch again. I think it's the perfect B movie, because the way it's filmed only accentuates the depravity of what's on screen. If this was some slick production, it wouldn't work nearly as well. The movie works as a nasty exploitation flick, but it also feels fairly realistic. This movie kicks ass!

Verdict: Very good

On a side note, there's a decapitation early on in the movie. What's freaky about this, is that not long after, John Landis was filming The Twilight Zone on the exact same set. A horrifying accident occured that decapitated actor Vic Morrow, and also took the lives of two young girls. Believe it or not, footage from this accident can be found on YouTube.
I had a feeling you would like this movie Cricket. Glad you did.

Also I had no idea that was the same set that Vic Morrow died on. Freaky.

I love this movie! I have for a long while. I am a fan of Lloyd Kaufman and Troma Entertainment, and this is my favorite film of his. Poultrygeist was a very close 2nd. Troma and The Toxic Avenger pretty much embody over the top, violent, chessy fun! With plenty of nudity for no real reason. They are also pretty damn funny too. I hope everyone enjoys this selection.

I have just one more movie to watch and that is Ghost Ship. I will knock it out as soon as I get the DVD in the mail.
Finish with the best one! Nice strategy Guns

Ok, I am just mildly biased when it comes to this film, or just about anything Troma has released. Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz are total bosses who've always done things their way, be it creating films that are just plain off the wall, re-dubbing European b-movie's with a whole new tromariffic script and voice acting, or just creating some of the most iconic films and characters in all of b-movie horror/softcore/comedy history, I love Troma.(Yes I own a few Troma films, Maniac Nurses Find Ecstacy, Eve's Beach Party, Surf Nazi's Must Die, Poultrygeist, Class of Nuke'Em High, Tromeo and Juliet and a few others)

The Toxic Avenger is in my opinion Troma's flagship series(Class of Nuke'em High, close behind) and the first one in the series is an absolute classic. Enter Melvin janitor at the local health club he is 98lbs of solid dork, he doesn't fit in with the hard bodied teenagers that hang out around the facilities, and they make no qualms with putting Melvin into what they believe is his place. After being tricked by one of the girls into believing they are gonna get dirty, he is dressed in a tutu and chased from the building, falling out a second story window into a truck of toxic waste that just so happens to be there. Well, Melvin goes from skinny weakling to The Toxic Avenger, basically the most badass tutu toting super hero of all time, he can beat your ass with a single bash, club you down before you frown, basically he's a beast. And if you act like a dick anywhere near Tromaville, I'm sure you'll find yourself face to face with THE TOXIC AVENGER ger ger ger ger...

I LOVE TROMA SO MUCH. I remember when I was a kid there was a tv game show that offered you the chance to go to Troma studios in NY and meet Lloyd Kaufman and have a cameo in one of their films. I believe this was like 15-20 years ago so I would not quite have been able to go. I was always so jealous.

If you guys haven't seen them, please watch Class of Nuke'em High, Maniac Nurses find Ecstasy, Mothers Day, Poultrygeist, Rabid Grannies and Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD