YouTube's war on gamers

Tools    

Now, I don't upload to YT anymore, and I never uploaded game content. However, a lot of people do, and it's their job to do it. Basically, YT's restrictions on their content are threatening the livelihood of a lot of people. So I wanna know, what does everyone here think about this? I want to start a game channel because I believe I could create good content, however even if I did, I could taken out by my third upload if things went wrong. Here's a video explaining it quite well from a good gamer channel:

By the way, this is youtube only. Several game devs have been helping content creators to try and fix these problems.

Hmm... YouTube might not dare to make too many restrictions in gaming-related matters, since many of the top-subscribed channels (with millions of subscribers) are gaming-related.

I hear you man. One of my buddies has a few channels up, one of them based on gaming. I'm in on it as well.

Your best bet would be to get partnered from a larger community channel. There are several benefits to getting a partnership, including monetary.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Hmm... YouTube might not dare to make too many restrictions in gaming-related matters, since many of the top-subscribed channels (with millions of subscribers) are gaming-related.
The guy who's video I posted has had 89 videos taken down, Angry Joe had 62 taken down and has fought that number down to 49 and both of them have over 1.2 million subs which is more than enough for youtube to make a pretty penny. I don't know any channels directly, but it does seem like some have had 100's of video taken down, and it's also likely impossible that smaller channels will survive this or that any new channels can surface under the current condition. I'd like to believe that what you say is true but it really doesn't seem like that is the case. It seems the only safe videos are one's where gamers have deals or protection from game devs who want those videos up. Anything else is youtube's right to attack.

I hear you man. One of my buddies has a few channels up, one of them based on gaming. I'm in on it as well.

Your best bet would be to get partnered from a larger community channel. There are several benefits to getting a partnership, including monetary.
I hate to say it, but I might actually try uploading and just talk about games for a bit without showing content or using music from anything and see if a studio like Maker would take me under their wing. I don't like Maker because of what they did to Ray William Johnson and how they imposed some of their will on Epic Rap Battles, but of all the channels affected by this, Maker's channels seem to be taking the least of it so I may not have much of a choice if I really want to do it. I hope things will go okay for you and your friend. What's the Channel called? If there's good content I'll check it out. I'm always looking for channel's that are interesting.

I hope things will go okay for you and your friend. What's the Channel called? If there's good content I'll check it out. I'm always looking for channel's that are interesting.
I have to ask his permission before posting any of the channel's content (or even the channel at all), so I'll get back to you on that.

Likewise, feel free to post some of your own stuff here when you're ready, I usually enjoy listening to the thoughts and opinions of others on certain video games.

Good luck with Maker.

The copyright restrictions on youtube have been getting gradually worse over the last 3 years. I used to make spoof movie videos and montages on my channel, until they started sending me warnings all the time and deleting my videos. So I told them to "go bollocks!" in the end, and uploaded my videos to Daily Motion instead.

The copyright restrictions on youtube have been getting gradually worse over the last 3 years. I used to make spoof movie videos and montages on my channel, until they started sending me warnings all the time and deleting my videos. So I told them to "go bollocks!" in the end, and uploaded my videos to Daily Motion instead.
That's a nice alternative for now, and I've heard talks from some people saying that using a site other than youtube is a solid option, but I can't agree with that for long term. If everyone migrates to another video sharing site, it's entirely likely that they'll end up setting their own restrictions at some point. I know you weren't saying like what I talked about for most of this post, but I thought I'd point it out for anyone who might think just using a different site would fix everyone's problem.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Gopher's videos on the subject are some of the most lucid I've seen.

Then there's the Totalbiscuit 'Garry's Incident' debacle.

Well argued.

I think a more efficient solution for YouTube would be to simply stop placing advertisements on these videos rather than delete them completely (but then again, that might confound YouTube's mission to prevent anyone from watching a video without first seeing an utterly irrelevant advertisement).

I think a more efficient solution for YouTube would be to simply stop placing advertisements on these videos rather than delete them completely (but then again, that might confound YouTube's mission to prevent anyone from watching a video without first seeing an utterly irrelevant advertisement).
That's actually about the worst thing you can do. Those advertisements are how the youtubers make money and are able to make it by. The money they make goes to an ad-sense account. Doing what you suggest would literally take everyone out of the business, not just the gamers.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The adverts are only on monetised videos, are they not? That's the uploader's choice and one done to make them money. I don't like, say, AngryJoe but he puts a lot of work into his videos and has nearly 50 of his highest earners flagged...

Apparently there's an announcement coming soon regarding a change in YouTube's Managed and Unmanaged Partner rules which might clear the waters a bit.

EDIT - Ninja'd!

That's actually about the worst thing you can do. Those advertisements are how the youtubers make money and are able to make it by. The money they make goes to an ad-sense account. Doing what you suggest would literally take everyone out of the business, not just the gamers.
No, I mean, de-advertise videos which they believe contain copyrighted content, instead of deleting them completely. It would remove the "legal reason" for companies to complain (someone else making money off their intellectual property).

No, I mean, de-advertise videos which they believe contain copyrighted content, instead of deleting them completely. It would remove the "legal reason" for companies to complain (someone else making money off their intellectual property).
The problem with that is that's YT making the claims in place of the companies, who then have the choice to follow through with said made claim. As I said in my first post, some companies are trying to help content creators. This whole thing is YT trying to get on the good side of enough game devs that they can strike a deal with them to help them get more money off of these kinds of videos. Removing the adds means removing the source of the money, YT wouldn't dare do that.

The problem with that is that's YT making the claims in place of the companies, who then have the choice to follow through with said made claim. As I said in my first post, some companies are trying to help content creators. This whole thing is YT trying to get on the good side of enough game devs that they can strike a deal with them to help them get more money off of these kinds of videos. Removing the adds means removing the source of the money, YT wouldn't dare do that.
Yeah, but by deleting the videos, YT loses some money as well (I'm pretty sure a portion of all advertisements goes directly to YouTube itself). And, as the videos posted by Tacitus show, companies themselves are also able to make copyright claims, and might not just do so because of copyright violation, but sometimes also for more underhanded reasons such as removing/censoring criticism.

Hate to say it but youtube really aggravates to the point where I hardly browse it like I used to.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Yeah, but by deleting the videos, YT loses some money as well (I'm pretty sure a portion of all advertisements goes directly to YouTube itself). And, as the videos posted by Tacitus show, companies themselves are also able to make copyright claims, and might not just do so because of copyright violation, but sometimes also for more underhanded reasons such as removing/censoring criticism.
To some extent yeah, but YT for now is mostly flagging older videos that aren't making as much money anymore to make an example out of people. Trust me, game companies for the most part are too stupid to try and flag or remove videos for the sake of avoiding criticism without people knowing about it. The TotalBiscuit incident is proof of that.