Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
People rarely post anything.
Sooooooo were those lead paint chips at least delicious?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Johnny Depp isnt playing Jack Sparrow in the next Movie, as far as Disney knows.
That's just them trying to play hard ball = fail.

Suspect's Reviews

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I would post current news but stopped since you came back with your thread, because it was just too much of a hassle to double check your thread, searching and searching to see if you already updated the news or not.

I also think that it's easier to see a thread dedicated to the one film, instead of one thread with tons of stuff in it.

I appreciate all the info you pull in, but it's just easier, in my opinion, to go to the thread for the film.
This was the point I was trying to make. I find it difficult to wade through that thread, even though I think jrs does a good job.

As to Pirates, well, I'm in the minority, I think, as I would see Depp as Sparrow again... and again. I really wanted this 4th film. I think the last film was convoluted but I still like it.

But.. no Depp, no Pirates. It's ridiculous to even contemplate. I won't go. Disney is playing around and Depp can so easily walk away. I'm a bit disappointed this is happening.

I find it difficult to wade through that thread, even though I think jrs does a good job.
I appreciate you like my work. I have spent my time making a full index of my posts to make it easier and less confusing for you (and others). It even states it in my signature. The index has been completely updated (which took me like 2-3 hours) cause I have forgot to do so. All my posts are categorized in the index within the sequel list. If you somehow find it hard to wade through a simple index of posts, I have started to make threads of the upcoming movies as well.

People tell me they prefer seperate threads on the movies, so I am starting to post them too for the people who want them. Maybe that will give some people incentive to talk more about upcoming movies.

In the Beginning...
People tell me they prefer seperate threads on the movies, so I am starting to post them too for the people who want them. Maybe that will give some people incentive to talk more about upcoming movies.
I'm confused, though. You don't seem to talk about upcoming movies much yourself. Rather, you seem to prefer posting news about them. I occasionally see the odd, one or two-sentence commentary from you on an upcoming film, but that's it. So why are you so concerned about other people not talking more about films? If you want to get people talking, why not post your thoughts on upcoming films rather than arbitrary news updates?

At least couple them. I'd be more inclined to post if your news updates were accompanied by your thoughts on the news you've posted. Maybe then it wouldn't seem so much like you were posting news for the sake of posting.

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 Based On A Book After All

If you’ve been keeping up with the news about the upcoming fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie, you’ll probably be aware of the fact that it’s been given the subtitle of “On Stranger Tides.” As reported a little under a month ago, the title is exactly the same as a pirate book by Tim Powers from 22 years ago, which is about the Fountain of Youth (Pirates 4’s reported plot hook) and which also contains a pirate character called Jack.

It seemed like TOO much of a wild coincidence for Disney not to have had based their Pirates 4 story on Powers’ book and we now learn, from the author himself, that the film IS based on his book after all.

After Depp appeared in character as Captain Jack Sparrow at the Disney’s D23 Expo, and the On Stranger Tides subtitle was revealed (along with a title card featuring it), Powers’ e-mail inbox suddenly got flooded by messages from surprised friends and fans, along with legal advice in case he needed to know how to sue…

But Powers has finally revealed to the LATimes that he has been in cahoots with Disney for quite a while now, and notes how he wasn’t able to talk about it until now. Here’s what he had to say:

“I was still — as far as I understood — not free to talk about it… Then about a week ago my agent wrote and said, ‘You’re now able to say that in fact Disney did option the book.’ That happened a while ago, it’ll be three years in April.”
Powers also went on to reveal his thoughts on how Disney will “adapt” his book i.e. just how much they will use. Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly, depending on how you look at it) he doesn’t think they’ll borrow extensively, not least because the main characters (despite sharing one name) don’t “overlap.”

“I’ve watched all the movies several times, of course, and I think the clear thing they would use is the trip to the Fountain of Youth… My main character doesn’t overlap with Jack Sparrow at all [in personality or circumstance]; they’re totally different characters. I suppose they might overlap the Geoffrey Rush character Barbossa and Blackbeard. The only thing I feel certain they will hold on to is the Fountain of Youth since they telegraphed that at the end of the last movie.”
For the rest of what Powers had to say - including on the whole “Depp’s loss of enthusiasm after Dick Cook’s departure as Chairman of Disney” thing - you can head over to LATimes’ Hero Complex.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is supposed to start filming next Spring, and has a general release date of Summer 2011.

Source: Screenrant

I sat through the first three. As great an actor as JD is, I’ve seen his Jack Sparrow enough (actually, once was enough).

This is a waste of his time as an actor, but I think JD’s focus right now is on building up is financial empire. Which is fine. More power to him.

Also, dumping KK and OB is very good. For any movie.

Best news I've read all day.
They have talked about dumping him after the third movie.

ntohing worng with Knightly and Bloom not being there, seems like this could be spun off into several more with them gone.

I have lost all interest in the Pirates series especially after the abysmal third installment. Pretty surprised that they are making another one and getting rid of Knightley and Bloom.

Maybe it is for the better, but kind of tired of the characters and the series as a whole.

Johnny Depp confirmed for a fourth film.. wonder if the others will come. I heard the plot will center on Mr. Sparrow.. Oh, well.

Penelope Cruz Joins Pirates of the Caribbean 4

Penelope Cruz is in negotiations to join Johnny Depp and sail the seven seas in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides," the fourth installment of the movie series being directed by Rob Marshall.

Depp is reprising his popular role of Captain Jack Sparrow, and while plot details are buried deeper than Blackbeard's treasure, it is known the tale revolves around the Fountain of Youth.

Cruz's character details are also being kept secret, though she is to be Sparrow's foil and equal in many ways.

Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot wrote the script. Jerry Bruckheimer is producing.

For Cruz, the role reunites her with Marshall, who directed her in "Nine." Her performance garnered her an Oscar nomination in the best supporting actress category just last week. She won the Oscar for best actress in a leading role for 2009's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

"Pirates" will set sail before cameras in Hawaii this summer. Disney plans for a May 20, 2011, release.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

You know what? I'm kind of excited about this. The first Pirates introduced good, fun franchise material which they soured with the next two. They could go anywhere with it, and removing the lame Knightly/Bloom characters the sky is the limit. I just hope they put the material that Pirates deserves, instead of the sticky sweet make-sure-it's-family friendly action and humor.

I hate this idea

I just wish they release this movies more often...

Are they serious? When is it supposed to be coming out?

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides Details Emerge

Back in February it was reported that Penelope Cruz was joining the cast of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, and now some new details on her character have emerged. MTV recently spoke with the franchise's producer Jerry Bruckheimer, who revealed that Cruz will play the daughter of Captain Jack Sparrow's nemesis, Blackbeard.

"She plays the daughter of Blackbeard," executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer told MTV News at ShoWest in Las Vegas. "She's the daughter of the bad guy.

"She brings a lot of humor to it. And the fact that she's so feisty," he continued, adding that there will be "a little romance between [Depp's] Captain Jack and the character that Penelope plays."
A few weeks after the story on Cruz joining the film broke out, Movieweb reported that Ian McShane was in talks to play Blackbeard. Shooting is set to begin in June, with Rob Marshall directing the film.

Source: Movieweb