Logans Run: Ancient SciFi?

Tools    

MIL
Just saw Logans Run cos I'd heard about its miniature set designs etc.

Although Logans Run(1976) was made just a year before star wars(1977),
it feels really ancient, when both films are compared.
Although I liked Logans Run , the set design, costumes & sfx were soo old, ancient & star wars was like a breath of fresh air with memorable scenes, great set desing, art direction, music & sfx.

Could budget be the only factor?

It's not about budget, as Logan's Run was a major MGM release. It's just a matter of the effects personell involved and what priority they were given. Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey looks even better than Lucas' Star Wars, and it was made almost a decade earlier. Hell, 2001 looks better than most of the slick and soulless CGI crud thrust on the marketplace these days.

Good inventive people behind the scenes and a visionary filmmaker equals better looking Sci-Fi futurescapes. Fritz Lang's Metropolis is still amazing, and that was made in the '20s. Logan's Run doesn't look very impressive simply because it isn't very impressive looking. The folks who made it didn't know how to make something special and timeless. It was acceptable for its day, but it wasn't blowing anybody away in 1976 either. Not anybody over the age of eight or nine anyway.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What do you mean? Box is classic.

Fish, and plankton. And sea greens, and protein from the sea. It's all here, ready. Fresh as harvest day. Fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea. And then it stopped coming. And they came instead. So I store them here. I'm ready. And you're ready. It's my job. To freeze you. Protein, plankton...

MIL
[quote=Holden Pike]It's not about budget, as Logan's Run was a major MGM release. It's just a matter of the effects personell involved and what priority they were given. Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey looks even better than Lucas' Star Wars, and it was made almost a decade earlier. Hell, 2001 looks better than most of the slick and soulless CGI crud thrust on the marketplace these days.

Yes u are right!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

The People's Republic of Clogher
There's one reason why I like Logan's Run.

MIL
[quote=Tacitus]There's one reason why I like Logan's Run.

Oh Yea! Shes simple yet so graceful & sexy!

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Tacitus
There's one reason why I like Logan's Run.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
I swear i saw her swimming starkers during a 3pm TV showing
Is that legal?
The film you saw Jenny Agutter swimming starkers in was probably Walkabout.

It's a very good movie.

There's definately some starkers water action in Logan's Run (though not to the same extent) and possibly Equus.

Geez I sound like a right perv.

My life isn't written very well.
Surprise! I think there is a Logan's Run remake in the works!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Yeah, there is. Not very surprising though. The effects haven't dated very well, but the story itself is very strong.

I don't hold out much hope they'll do it very well, but yeah, a re-make is coming. I know for sure that Dan Harris, who wrote and directed Imaginary Heroes and worked on various drafts of X2: X-Men United and the Bryan Singer Superman Returns scripts, has done work on the Logan's Run re-make. The first film was adapted from a novel, so there is source material other than the screenplay.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Yeah, there is. Not very surprising though. The effects haven't dated very well, but the story itself is very strong.

I don't hold out much hope they'll do it very well, but yeah, a re-make is coming. I know for sure that Dan Harris, who wrote and directed Imaginary Heroes and worked on various drafts of X2: X-Men United and the Bryan Singer Superman Returns scripts, has done work on the Logan's Run re-make. The first film was adapted from a novel, so there is source material other than the screenplay.
Hasn't Singer been mentioned as director?

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Logan's Run doesn't look very impressive simply because it isn't very impressive looking. The folks who made it didn't know how to make something special and timeless. It was acceptable for its day, but it wasn't blowing anybody away in 1976 either. Not anybody over the age of eight or nine anyway.

I saw Logan's Run as a double feature presentation with Star Wars back in the day. Even though Star Wars changed my eight year old life, it was Logan's Run that really showed me what a good sci-fi (storywise) really is. I fell in love with it then, and am still passionate about it today. I don't really want them to do a remake, especially after learning who's involved with it. Besides, I can't imagine anyone but York playing Logan.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

My life isn't written very well.
Was Farrah Fawsett in Logan's Run?. Or Am I thinking about Saturn 5? Or both?

Yes, she played a technician...very small role. Peter Ustinov was also in it...who can replace him?