Great films you just can't re-make

Tools    

Ugh, I haven't even bothered to see the Psycho remake, but I heard it was crap. And why the hell would you cast Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates? Whatever. You should never remake Hitchcock movies, but at least Vertigo has been spared... for now.
I didn't bother to see the remake of Psycho either, but it clearly went over like a lead balloon, because it didn't last more than 3 weeks in the theatres.

I'm gonna go with The Trilogy on this one.

And yes I mean Episodes 4-6 of Star Wars.

When it comes to Star Wars I am a purist. I hate the "Special Editions" and I shudder at the acting in 1-3 (though I do like the jedi fight scenes).

If anyone tried to remake the original films (beyond the tampering that George Lucas is already guilty of) I think I would die a bit inside. There is no way that magic can be re-captured (see Episodes 1-3 if you don't believe me ).
Can we pretend 1-3 didn't happen? 4-6 are perfect (even Return) but lets all get together in a collective intentional state of denial and act as if 1-3 still need to be released. Like the good ole days.

Clash of the Titans honestly needed to be remade but the remake was so colossally crappy I wish it had never happened. I've never been so mad at a movie release and will probably never stop talking about how bad they screwed up.

How about the Karate Kid? The new one was almost an entirely different movie with like 2 similar elements. It shouldn't have even been called the Karate Kid. Should have been the Kung Fu Kid. And they were smart by doing it this way. They new Mr Miagi was unrepeatable but they wanted that Karate Kid audience. So in my opinion they did the smart thing.

All of which just makes the terrible casting of the two more protagonists even more annoying.
Which, in my opinion, is a huge problem with The Town, but that's another topic.

"He has all the time in the world ... "
I can't see the original Star Wars (A New Hope) being re-made, not in my lifetime anyway. Mind you, I'm the only person I know who prefers Van Sant's re-make of Psycho.

*Waits for an angry mob of villagers with torches & pitchforks to arrive at my door*

And at the end of fear, oblivion
To me, Oldboy is one of those movies that is impossible to be defeated by a remake in terms of overall quality.
That movie is a true masterpiece.

But i want to watch the remake. I'm not saying it's not going to be good, i just do not believe it's going to be better than the original.

I think John Woo should remake Paycheck as it has a great potential & I love Philip K. Dick's novels, I'm also a fan of John Woo (especially his Cantonese movies). Woo can even use the original cast. Just do it right this time!

Mulholland Dr.
Apocalypse Now
The Godfather
Forrest Gump
Pulp Fiction
Taxi Driver
2001: A Space Odyssey
City of God
Casablanca
Magnolia

I think this movies just can't be remade, some because the actors who played certain characters are too iconic (like Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump or Marlon Brando as Don Vito Corleone) others because they were personal projects for the directors and it would be extremely difficult to remade them (Like Pulp Fiction or Mulholland Dr.)

Funny thing, the other day I thought to myself 'Tony Scott ought to take another crack at Top Gun' - no kidding, this went through my mind. Apparently it also occured to Tony, as he is doing another Top Gun. Not really a sequel or a remake, but with the same jet fighter school theme, I suppose.

Also I was very pleased with how they did the Tron sequel. And when I heard about The Thing (2011) I thought 'Why would anyone remake that? John Carpenter nailed it.' But when I read that it was in fact a prequel and how Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. was going about it, I thought that was very clever.

I'm pretty sure Carpenter's 'The Thing' was closer to John W. Campbell, Jr's source novella "Who Goes There?" than the Howard Hawks/Christian Nyby 1951 film The Thing from Another World. Both were good though.

I think any and all films can, and probably will, be remade. After seeing The Hangover, I turned to my buddy and asked, "so, is it just me or do you get a feeling this is going to get remade in 20 years?!"

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
There is no way anybody will ever be able to remake Fight Club let alone do it well...unless Michael Fassbender is the Ed Norton character...in which case consider me sold.