Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

That's some bad hat, Harry.
Dune: Part One (2021)

4/5

In preparation for tonight's cinema trip to see Part Two.

That's some bad hat, Harry.
Go (1999)

4/5

A real throwback. Haven't seen this one in years. In fact, I don't think I've seen it since I was a similar age to the main characters, which is to say, early twenties. Initially felt very old. But got into the anarchic, hedonistic energy of it and had so much fun. A terrific example of its type: classic 1990s Gen X comedy.

THIS IS ME... NOW
A LOVE STORY

(2024, Meyers)

"♪ I took my time, lot of winters, summers, baby
Had to heal my heart, but I love who I am lately ♫"

Inspired by the lyrics of the album, This Is Me... Now follows a fictionalized story based on Lopez and Affleck's relationship. In it, the artist is trying to recover from a past accident through therapy, while also going through several other relationships, something that her close friends criticize and worry about. Spliced through the story are several music videos that sorta tie the story together.

Director Dave Meyers takes different approaches to each segment, from a very energetic opening at a factory in "Hearts and Flowers", or some lively sequences at a wedding or during a Love Addicts Anonymous therapy session, to more emotional and slow-moving pieces like "Hummingbird" or the title track. The glass house setting for "Rebound" was also fairly impressive.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Robot Dreams (2023)

I absolutely LOVED this movie! The animation market is getting pretty crowded these days, and this sure seems like a movie that almost anyone, of any age, should be able to enjoy (although maybe not SO good for very small kids).

The Spanish-French co-production is up for the Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film, and while its chances of actually winning are probably slim-to-none, it would actually more than deserve the prize.

The film tells such an universal stories that it doesn't even need any dialogue, and the characters. It takes place in a parallel universe where there are no humans, just anthropomorphised animals in our place. Yet almost everything seems just like in our world: the movie takes place in NYC in the 80s, and the Twin Towers are there, as gorgeous as ever.

It's a movie so full of wonderful attention to detail that it even throws in very touching references to both the 1982 FIFA World Cup (hosted by Spain, of course) and two popular characters from Star Wars.

But at the center of it is the relationship between Dog and Robot (they don't really seem to have any names, although in some documents Dog is referred to as Dog Varon, taking the last name of the author of the graphic novel on which it's based).

This is a wonderful movie that I would recommend to virtually anyone, and it will reportedly get a wider release in coming weeks before eventually streaming on AppleTV+. But if you get a chance to watch it in a theater, definitely take that opportunity, it will be well worth it.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
The Teachers' Lounge (2023)

Foreign language Oscar nominee at this week's ceremony.

The nice young teacher is lost in the ruined social structure of the dying western civilization. Very scaring movie...
Leonie Benesch is superb in the main role.

-
77/100

The nice young teacher is lost in the ruined social structure of the dying western civilization. Very scaring movie...

-
77/100
I may have enjoyed this a little bit more than you. But in any case, I think it's fantastic that it got a nomination, even though it almost certainly isn't going to win.

(And if it did win, then maybe more people would watch it!)

I forgot the opening line.

By Once Upon a Time in China, a production of Golden Harvest and Film Workshop. - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103285.../rm2167747840/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15402063

Once Upon a Time in China - (1991)

Not content to face Wong Fei-hung (Jet Li) off against one adversarial force, we see him and his allies fight foreign interlopers of various nationalities, criminal gangs after protection money, the local militia and rival martial artist "Iron Vest" Yim (Yen Shi-kwan) - all of whom have a part to play in this epic tale of a changing China on the brink of the modern age. It gets one hell of a lot done in it's two-hour runtime - jam-packed with slapstick humour and rapid-move fighting. How much you like it probably depends a lot on how much you like martial arts films - I was terribly impressed with the action though, without being a huge fan. Poor Fei-hung - how the hell many problems can a meagre marital arts trainer and owner of a traditional Chinese medicine clinic deal with at the one time? He'll be fighting one while another is dragging his love interest off to be a sex-slave in America. I'll check out the second chapter in this series - I'm curious as to which direction they take this in.

7/10

By May be found at the following website: IMP Awards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=40176305

Everyone Says I Love You - (1996)

I never knew Woody Allen made a musical - it's typical Allen stuff, with various members of the wealthy Dandridge family falling in and out of love. Various big plusses and minuses had me splitting this one's score down the middle. Full review here, on my watchlist thread.

5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Freddy Got Fingered (2001) Unfunny, annoying, poorly written trash. Watched on Criterion Channel (seriously).
It is trashy, but it holds memorable feelings due to seeing it with all my friends back in the day. I still find some scenes funny, but if Tom Green were to debut today, I'm sure I would find him terrible and distasteful.

Albert Pyun Roulette, Part 5

Dangerously Close -

Plot: Rebel without a cause or a clue at an elite but uptight college discovers some of his classmates have formed an even more elite clique more or less hell-bent on ridding the school, and quite possibly American society, of what they deem to be its undesirables because of ethnicity, politics, etc. Our hero recruits a teacher and some other "less desirable" classmates to undermine the elitists, and, naturally, things get quite violent.

It was 1986 in America and fascism was in the air. Albert Pyun, John Stockwell and company, like many others did in that decade, made a high school thriller to exploit it and they did a pretty good job. While there's a place for fantastical jock vs. freak, rich vs. poor, etc. matchups in cinema, it was nice to see one with a more realistic setup. It may be a minor and/or boring detail to some, but I like that the movie outlines the magnet program that lets those who the SS-like Sentinels and believers in their insidious cause consider undesirable attend their school. The same realistic approach for the bullies in charge also worked for me. In other words, perhaps except for their physiques, they seem like people you might see in your own hometown even today. John Stockwell might as well have gone to the James Spader school of acting for how well he pulls off the duplicitous smarm of an aspiring senator or congressman. As for our hero, J. Eddie Peck does well at making him seem like an innocent and genuinely good guy as well as someone who does not want to be ashamed of his economic status. I also give credit to Pyun for maintaining the giallo-like suspense of who in the Sentinels is taking their job too far, saving the surprises until the best possible moments and for adding visual flair where he could. The multi-flashback moment has to be seen to be believed, and man, do those night scenes at the gym scream atmosphere! There are also some inspired needle drops, especially the Depeche Mode ones, and wow, does Carey Lowell make a debut.

Again, there were a lot of movies like this one in the '80s, this one falling in the middle of the pack. Its attempts at realism work, but it undercuts them by casting the high schoolers much too old. Also, despite the mystery, the climax is disappointingly familiar - I don't think it's a spoiler to mention an abandoned warehouse is involved - and too rushed. It's still worth checking out if you like this kind of thing, especially if you believe that a lot of '80s nostalgia is misplaced and you have only seen John Carpenter's less than favorable assessments of the Reagan years. It also proves than not every movie Roger Ebert awarded zero stars is irredeemable.

Damsel (2024) I thought Millie Bobby Brown did a decent job, but nothing really stood out about her performance. It was just fine. Costumes and cinematography were pretty good. I liked the dragon. This is just alright overall, but it wouldn't make my top 10 of the year so far.

-
77/100
Saw this yesterday. Loved it. Leonie was in the White Ribbon, but I don’t recall what her role was.

Dune (2024) I thought Millie Bobby Brown did a decent job, but nothing really stood out about her performance. It was just fine. Costumes and cinematography were pretty good. I liked the dragon. This is just alright overall, but it wouldn't make my top 10 of the year so far.
Think you meant to type Damsel.

Saw this yesterday. Loved it. Leonie was in the White Ribbon, but I don’t recall what her role was.
She played Eva, nanny to the baron and baroness's twin babies for a short time

Millie Bobbie Brown would have been an awesome Harkonnen or Bene Gessrrit. Just saying.
She'd be absolutely perfect as a Bene Gesserit, for sure.

Not at all keen on seeing homosexuals having sex. Seems like a good movie, but not my cuppa tea.

Terrific movie from Ken Loach. The lead actor never acted before & was very convincing. Subtitles required to follow the impenetrable Scottish accents.

Very unusual movie. I liked it very much. Eisenberg & Brody were both excellent.

Think you meant to type Damsel.
Yes, good catch. I must be tireder than I thought. They both start with the letter D though and are one word, so I was close.