Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, 2015

This documentary explores the questionable practices of the Church of Scientology through a mix of interviews with former members, archive footage, and information gleaned from government investigation and trial transcripts.

Almost all the way at the end of this film, someone asks one of the interview subjects a really important question: "So how is Scientology different from any other religion?". The question is really key because a lot of the basic facts regarding Scientology (belief in invisible/incorporeal beings, internal terminology, enforced hierarchies, and even behaviors like isolating people or physical abuse) are not at all exclusive to it.

This question about what makes Scientology different is what drives the film and it is ultimately what makes it so powerful and so damning. It would be incredibly easy to spend most of the documentary making fun of the beliefs of the church (and there are a few zingers, such as "So then why is Tom Cruise paying $1000 a session to have invisible aliens sucked out of his body?"), but if you're being honest, just about any religion could be mocked in this way.

As becomes really clear in the film, the problem isn't WHAT the Scientologists believe, it's how they go about practicing their religion and specifically the cruel, creepy, and abusive way they handle dissent from inside or outside their walls.

People who use their power/influence to harm others makes me incredibly angry, and what the documentary exposes is that doing such harm isn't just the act of a few radicals in the church--it's a practice that is built into the beliefs themselves. L. Ron Hubbard gives explicit directions about how to handle those who cross them, and the new generation of leadership in the church, specifically David Miscavige, really seem to lean into the controlling and exploitative elements.

I thought I had something of a grasp on the behavior of Scientologists, but, wow. What you see in the film goes way beyond. Men from the church spend years filming, stalking, and harassing the wife of a former member. (The smirking man filming her as she grows more and more upset is maybe the most punchable person I've seen in a movie lately). People are sent to the homes of former members' elderly parents. Since this documentary came out, Danny Masterson has been accused of sexual assault by multiple women who claimed that the church helped to shield him from investigations. Watching this film, those claims seem incredibly believable.

One of the grossest stories is about a young woman in the church who was given a makeover under the pretense that she was going to be an ambassador for the church. Unbeknownst to her, she was being groomed to be Tom Cruise's next girlfriend because he'd just broken up with Nicole Kidman. The line "her hair was cut and styled to Tom's preference" is just cringe-inducing.

I had also not realized the extent of the implications of the church's tax-exempt status. While most of what I've read about that legal battle talks about the money implications (because the church is worth billions of dollars). But what surprised me were the revelations about the other legal benefits of being recognized as a religion. The church can have people doing labor for $0.40 an hour and it's fine. They are totally able to dodge child labor and human trafficking laws. When they harass or stalk former members, it can fall under first amendment protections.

This movie made me all kinds of angry. And shame on all of the celebrities (especially Tom Cruise) who lend their high profile to furthering the abusive and exploitative practices of this group.

I'm with you, Take, my blood was positively boiling during this film, I had genuine rage toward that church but, as you say, it really also applied to most "churches" or organized religions to me. I was steaming.
I have been a proud member of the Tax The Churches League for many years and man did this movie have me plotting Foul Play.

The Revenant, 2015

In the 1820s, tracker Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio), accompanied by his teenage son Hawk (Forrest Goodluck), guides a troop of fur trappers through dangerous territory. When most of the trappers are killed in an ambush by a group of Arikara people who are seeking a kidnapped Arikara woman, the survivors retreat into the snowy mountains. While scouting for food, Hugh is savagely mauled by a bear. Unwilling to put Hugh out of his misery, the leader (Domnhall Gleeson) leaves Hawk, a man named Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy), and a young man named Jim (Will Poulter) to stay with Hugh through his last hours of life. But Fitzgerald has other ideas, and his actions set off a tragic series of events.

I am still turning over in my mind how successful I think this film was in terms of seeing its themes through to the end. But in this moment my main reaction is that this was an immersive, propulsive, and deeply moving cinematic experience. The film manages to be a story of betrayal and revenge intertwined with a wilderness survival thriller.

On the wilderness front, the film does a great job of showing the danger of the intimate (as in, getting too close to a bear) and of the wide open space. The camera alternates between zoomed in close ups and sweeping overhead views of the snow-covered terrain. The land is its own character, alternately a deadly enemy and a savior. The brutality of the bear attack sequence sets the tone, and everything sits on a razor's edge from then on out.

In terms of the human side of the story, I felt that it was very well-realized. Glass is a compelling lead, but the film is filled with interesting supporting characters, from the good-hearted Jim (whose fear overrides his compassion in a moment that he will regret for the rest of the film) to Hikuc (Arthur RedCloud), a displaced Pawnee man who is journeying south in search of more of his people. Fitzgerald is a weasel, but even in his cruelty and selfishness, what we learn about his past makes sense of his actions, despicable though they might be. This is a film with so many moving parts--an interlocking mix of motivations and intentions--but it all works somehow with multiple minor climaxes stacked on one another and leading to the final act.

I thought that the performances were very solid. DiCaprio is an actor who I sometimes struggle to see as his characters. This is nothing against him or his talent, but I often watch him in a film and become hyper aware that I am watching an actor acting. While this film was filled with actor moments, the strong presence of the wilderness and the raw physicality of the role meant that DiCaprio (and the rest of the cast) really disappeared into their characters for me.

There were a handful of small issues I had with the film. In a few scenes there was something about the sound balance that sounded off to me, and it was always when it sounded like the dialogue wasn't quite in sync with what was on screen. Maybe I just imagined this, but a few times something in the sound took me out of the film for a moment. I am also still thinking over how some of the themes resolved. And kind of adjacent to that, I'm thinking back on the use of indigenous people in the film, and particularly one use of them as an almost deus ex machina-type device. The film is very even-handed in the portrayal of different indigenous groups, but that one element felt a bit off to me. The most one-dimensional characters are the French fur-trappers.

This was a really compelling, thrilling film. The kind of movie that feels like it's only just beginning and you realize you're an hour in.

Victim of The Night

The Revenant, 2015

In the 1820s, tracker Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio), accompanied by his teenage son Hawk (Forrest Goodluck), guides a troop of fur trappers through dangerous territory. When most of the trappers are killed in an ambush by a group of Arikara people who are seeking a kidnapped Arikara woman, the survivors retreat into the snowy mountains. While scouting for food, Hugh is savagely mauled by a bear. Unwilling to put Hugh out of his misery, the leader (Domnhall Gleeson) leaves Hawk, a man named Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy), and a young man named Jim (Will Poulter) to stay with Hugh through his last hours of life. But Fitzgerald has other ideas, and his actions set off a tragic series of events.

I am still turning over in my mind how successful I think this film was in terms of seeing its themes through to the end. But in this moment my main reaction is that this was an immersive, propulsive, and deeply moving cinematic experience. The film manages to be a story of betrayal and revenge intertwined with a wilderness survival thriller.

On the wilderness front, the film does a great job of showing the danger of the intimate (as in, getting too close to a bear) and of the wide open space. The camera alternates between zoomed in close ups and sweeping overhead views of the snow-covered terrain. The land is its own character, alternately a deadly enemy and a savior. The brutality of the bear attack sequence sets the tone, and everything sits on a razor's edge from then on out.

In terms of the human side of the story, I felt that it was very well-realized. Glass is a compelling lead, but the film is filled with interesting supporting characters, from the good-hearted Jim (whose fear overrides his compassion in a moment that he will regret for the rest of the film) to Hikuc (Arthur RedCloud), a displaced Pawnee man who is journeying south in search of more of his people. Fitzgerald is a weasel, but even in his cruelty and selfishness, what we learn about his past makes sense of his actions, despicable though they might be. This is a film with so many moving parts--an interlocking mix of motivations and intentions--but it all works somehow with multiple minor climaxes stacked on one another and leading to the final act.

I thought that the performances were very solid. DiCaprio is an actor who I sometimes struggle to see as his characters. This is nothing against him or his talent, but I often watch him in a film and become hyper aware that I am watching an actor acting. While this film was filled with actor moments, the strong presence of the wilderness and the raw physicality of the role meant that DiCaprio (and the rest of the cast) really disappeared into their characters for me.

There were a handful of small issues I had with the film. In a few scenes there was something about the sound balance that sounded off to me, and it was always when it sounded like the dialogue wasn't quite in sync with what was on screen. Maybe I just imagined this, but a few times something in the sound took me out of the film for a moment. I am also still thinking over how some of the themes resolved. And kind of adjacent to that, I'm thinking back on the use of indigenous people in the film, and particularly one use of them as an almost deus ex machina-type device. The film is very even-handed in the portrayal of different indigenous groups, but that one element felt a bit off to me. The most one-dimensional characters are the French fur-trappers.

This was a really compelling, thrilling film. The kind of movie that feels like it's only just beginning and you realize you're an hour in.

Interesting.
DiCaprio just turns me off so much that, even though I connected deeply with Innaritu's Birdman the year before, I could not even bring myself to watch sit through this at home.
Perhaps I need to re-think. I mean, I haven't hated everything DiCaprio's ever been in, I just always wished there was someone else playing his role.

A brilliant film with zero flaws. Hitchcock's work is constantly being re-evaluated every 10 years or so, claiming one or other of his films to be the best. Rear Window is definitely in his top 5. Perhaps his most suspenseful film, the Master of Suspense let it all out here!
I really love the bright, saturated color look. It seems to be a deliberate inversion of the high contrast black and white look of noir films (also favorites or mine) that were its immediate predecessors. Being so close to Stewart's character, you really relate to how desperate he is when the murderer comes after him.

I forgot the opening line.

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=43262370

Wild - (2014)

There seems to be something almost suicidal in Cheryl Strayed's 1,100 mile trek in Wild. Completely inexperienced, psychologically troubled and ill-prepared she is, but she also has the will to go on, and on, and on. She starts out with the wrong kind of fuel for her cooker, and far too much to carry on her back (she struggles gamely to lift her pack at all in the film's opening scenes.) There's constant anxiety. From wild animals to meetings with men who could turn out to be rapists if she's unlucky - you could forgive her easily for giving up. Reese Witherspoon gives a fine Oscar-nominated performance showing her vulnerability, while at the same time sporting a worn down edge. This is a woman coming off the unexpected death of her mother, and a descent into a drug-fueled orgy of self-abuse that left her divorced with nothing. As she hikes, long-repressed memories come to the surface.

Laura Dern portrays Strayed's mother Bobbi Grey, also earning an Oscar nomination for her supporting role. Ever since The Last Jedi I've gone off Dern quite a bit - but not for any reason I can clearly articulate. Still, it didn't ruin the film for me. Cliff de Young also appears - and I completely missed him, meaning I have to go back and watch the scenes he's in. It gives the film a very faint connection to Jessica Harper - giving the film an extra 0.1 on my rating, which is rounded down and completely doesn't matter. This movie is an okay addition to my fondness for wilderness/jungle/desert survival films - much better than Jungle, but still pales beside Wings of Hope.

7/10

Paper Champions

This is my new 'obscurity' champion of a movie! 88 ratings on the IMDb, skewed to an undeserved 7.3/10. This film is something akin to The 40-Year-Old Virgin with Luke Saliba's "Rey" working an unremarkable job at a photocopier business, next to his best friend Wade. When he happens to come across nurse Holly, his mother's new ex-wrestler boyfriend (a performance by Gary Sweet that made me cringe) and Wade try and make him man enough to actually talk to her. All kinds of embarrassing situations ensue. Not least of which is Rey standing his new girlfriend up because he lacks the courage to follow through. It was this that finally put me off Rey for good.

Paper Champions crashes to the ground early on, because it simply isn't as funny as it sets out to be - and it bets everything on it's humour. There doesn't seem to be anything at all behind Rey's façade of shyness, and his future with Holly appears doomed to me. By the end he takes on a wrestling challenge which made no sense - and Holly forgives him his many transgressions for no other reason than it's in the script. Rey is a character completely devoid of personality - something that should have been amended.

3/10

I'm sure many ex-soldiers in the US can take a lot from some characters Christian Bale has done, either this one: what war made me do and has done to me, or Out of the Furnace, that I personally enjoyed even more, the Appalachians are interesting, a moral code generation after generation and the lack of opportunities in the environment they live in. The ending is scary and very well done, without a background story it would not have worked.

Honestly, when I saw it, I suspected a lot of studio-interference. Lots of "notes".
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. It's obvious that they wanted to bounce off whatever other better films had done, so I wouldn't put it past the studio to request certain ties.

A Children's Story (2004)

One of those coming of age films in which the main character gets into more and more trouble. It reminded me of Pixote and any number of downer British films. This is the first Italian film like that I can remember seeing. A very back and forth structure but it's fine because it's more about watching a life and a lifestyle than it is about a story. There are some hard hitting moments. These movies are an easy sell for me so thanks for the recommendation Chyp.

Interesting.
DiCaprio just turns me off so much that, even though I connected deeply with Innaritu's Birdman the year before, I could not even bring myself to watch sit through this at home.
Perhaps I need to re-think. I mean, I haven't hated everything DiCaprio's ever been in, I just always wished there was someone else playing his role.
I know what you mean about DiCaprio, but I would still urge you to give this one a shot.

The Revenant is definitely worth watching. It's so much more than a frontier survival story.

And 2009's The Revenant is also pretty good. It's so much more than a dead guy surviving story.

Nomadland (2020) -

WARNING: spoilers below
This is a film of two conflicting themes which work really well, but only by themselves. The first main theme is a celebration of nomads that explores how their lifestyle is enjoyable, that it isn't torturous or unlivable, that the nomads you meet are colorful and friendly, etc. The second theme is how Fern used that lifestyle to escape from her past and isolate herself from animals or people who may have potentially brought her happiness and lifted her out of her grief. To a degree, these two themes were executed pretty well: several scenes were emotionally powerful, with the standout being Swankie's monologue on her cancer diagnosis. These themes also competed with each other though. Of course, they could've worked in harmony if they came together, but they both remained static throughout the film. The nomad lifestyle seemed worthwhile at the start of the film and it ended this way as well. Also, Fern started out in a state of isolation and grief and the film ended with her in that state. Both these themes seemed at odds with each other and, while I enjoyed the journey along the way, the film didn't connect with me as much as I was hoping it would. As usual though, McDormand is great. I also liked the cinematography. It recalled Malick at times with the emphasis on natural light and the choice to shoot at golden hour.

Interesting.
I'm of the mind that DiCaprio didn't deserve his Oscar for this film. Overall, he's fine and I get why many people like him, but as mentioned earlier, his performances often feel like "an actor acting" and I generally feel he isn't able to disappear into the characters he plays.

With that being said, the opening battle in The Revenant is easily the best fight scene in any 2010's film, so it's worth watching for that alone.

The Revenant is definitely worth watching. It's so much more than a frontier survival story.

And 2009's The Revenant is also pretty good. It's so much more than a dead guy surviving story.

The Revenant was great but I honestly don't think I could sit through that bear attack scene...I found that almost impossible to watch.

Calvaire (2004)

Bizarro story about a travelling entertainer that gets stranded in a strange town. There seems to have been a collective mania in the town where they covet him as a lady (indeed the in-keeper is convinced he's his dead wife). The whole thing just gets weirder from there on in. Few shocking scenes but overall I liked this....especially the dancing in the pub!!!

Scrooged (1988) 4/5
Universal Soldier (1992) 3/5
Joy Ride (2001) 3/5
Bloodwork (2002) 3/5

I really love the bright, saturated color look. It seems to be a deliberate inversion of the high contrast black and white look of noir films (also favorites or mine) that were its immediate predecessors. Being so close to Stewart's character, you really relate to how desperate he is when the murderer comes after him.
Good points. It's interesting that you mention color. I've always felt that his films from the '50s, say from Dial M for Murder through North by Northwest had a unique and distinctive pastel look about them. It's hard to put a finger on it, but the hues and fabric colors --even the atmospheres-- were almost misty. The ultimate of course was in "North", shot in glorious VistaVision, in which the zenith was Cary Grant's suit: a light grey flannel that is considered by many to be the finest suit ever in a movie. That film is another top 5 for sure.