Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I have to return some videotapes...
Gravity (2013) - Alfonso Cuaron

I don't really know what to think of this movie. Do I think it deserved to be nominated for Best Picture? Absolutely not. Is it one of the worst Best Picture noms though? No. It's not really that important though, if I'm going to be honest this film could have been a lot better written. Sandra Bullock kind of just talks to herself a lot of the movie and she says these ridiculous lines that made me cringe at times. Her acting wasn't bad though I just think she didn't have much to work with, but Clooney was really good and all the moments he is on screen are the ones I actually cared about. Bullock's character probably could have been exploited more and handled better. For someone who had so little drive to keep going, she seems to find this unspoken energy toward the end of the film that really didn't seem deserved. Another problem I find with all of these movies though is that everything always goes wrong and it almost becomes unrealistic at a certain point, this is one of the same problems I have with The Martian (2015). To be fair, I know you have to create drama and in some scenes you feel the tension, but in others it's just nonexistent. To talk more about positives, Lubezki killed it again with the cinematography and the camera flows through these scenes so well you forget that it's even there. Some of the money shots were beautiful in this film and the attention to detail with all of the shrapnel flying off of the broken carriers is astounding. This film is riddled with CGI though and at times it bothered me, especially when they probably could have used a real set, but I get it. Overall, Gravity tells a cool space story about the drive to live, but it's nothing you haven't seen before and from the guy who brought you Children of Men (2006) this film kind of feels like wasted potential.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Love Letter (Shunji Iwai, 1995)

Watched this yesterday with my gf. It has an interesting and quite fresh plot, nice written script and good acting. But what really made an impression in me was the soundtrack and cinematography. It feels like an anime but made in live action.
I began quite uncertain if I would like it or not but it kept getting better and better, the last 30 minutes are stunning!
A pleasant surprise, overall!

+

Master of My Domain
The Grandmaster (Kar-Wai, 2012)

I love Wong Kar-Wai and respect his attempt to take on a genre he's never done before, but hopefully he realized that straightforward martial arts movies aren't his thing. The film is directed, shot, and produced with grace, yet fails to provide anything fresh.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
L'Argent - 8/10

Wow. Two great movies in one day. I've had this for a while, and I love Bresson. Just slipped through the cracks.

In one line, it's a great movie about how the injustice of one affects many.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Au hasard Balthazar - 8/10

The first Bresson film I've seen and while there's a lot more to it than I could excavate but its a very lovely film.

London Has Fallen directed by Babak Najafi -

Continuing on this unexpected but nonetheless entertaining streak of Gerard Butler movies, this one stands out as a surprisingly good film. The franchise itself doesn't have the greatest writing or story, but London Has Fallen stepped up its game. Using the strengths of its previous film and taking it in a creative direction. Much like Olympus Has Fallen, you never really doubt the stakes, and I the familiarity of the characters certainly helps in connecting with what happens. The villains are a little thin, but the spectacle the provide is entertaining and a step up from the previous film in terms of it's visuals. In all honesty, I wouldn't be opposed to having another film in the franchise, and I think this director proved himself capable. I'm unsure of how well they could recapture this success, but if they want to go for it, I'm more than interested.

London Has Fallen directed by Babak Najafi -

Continuing on this unexpected but nonetheless entertaining streak of Gerard Butler movies, this one stands out as a surprisingly good film. The franchise itself doesn't have the greatest writing or story, but London Has Fallen stepped up its game. Using the strengths of its previous film and taking it in a creative direction. Much like Olympus Has Fallen, you never really doubt the stakes, and I the familiarity of the characters certainly helps in connecting with what happens. The villains are a little thin, but the spectacle the provide is entertaining and a step up from the previous film in terms of it's visuals. In all honesty, I wouldn't be opposed to having another film in the franchise, and I think this director proved himself capable. I'm unsure of how well they could recapture this success, but if they want to go for it, I'm more than interested.

I might be one of the only people that prefer the Tatum White House attack film, White House Down, over Olympus.

Unregistered User

The Lobster (2015)

Single people are made to go to a hotel in the arse end of nowhere and are given 45 days to find a partner before they are turned into an animal of their choice and sent out into the wild. This is possibly the most normal bit about The Lobster and in order to get the most out of this film it's probably best you go in blind. It's fairly obvious the message the director Yorgos Lanthimos is trying to preach and if you've seen his Dogtooth, then you'll have a fair idea of what to expect. Still, Farrell, Weisz and Colman all play their characters really well and it's always good to see local lad Michael Smiley.

+?

The Family Stone (2005)

You only get one life.I's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible.

Me Before YOU --
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	download (6).jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	24355  

Fifty Shades of Grey is a 2011 erotic romance novel by British author E. L. James.
Attachments

Name:	download (7).jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	24356  

Hana Yori Dango is a Japanese television drama series, which was broadcast on TBS in 2005 starring Mao Inoue, Jun Matsumoto of Arashi, Shun Oguri, Shota Matsuda, and Tsuyoshi Abe.
Attachments

Name:	download (8).jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	24357  

Care for some gopher?
Roman Holiday (William Wyler, 1953) -
+

Jaws 2 (Jeannot Szwarc, 1978) -
+

The Rescuers Down Under (Hendel Butoy/Mike Gabriel, 1990) -
+

Paradise Kiss is a 2011 Japanese film based on the manga of the same name. The film is directed by Takehiko Shinjo, and it stars actors Keiko Kitagawa, Osamu Mukai, Yusuke Yamamoto.
Attachments

Name:	download (9).jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	24358  

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (also known as Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens)
Attachments

Name:	download (10).jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	24359