Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I Give it a Year.

Most people I know think this movie is average - but it makes me laugh time & time again. I enjoy it.

Care for some gopher?
Tabu: A Story of the South Seas (Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, 1931) -
+

Care for some gopher?
Days of Thunder (Tony Scott, 1990) -
+

The racing scenes are actually pretty entertaining but the rest of the movie is pretty meh.

The Narrow Margin (1952)

+

From the top 100 Noirs list, a detective has to get a mob widow from Chicago to L.A. by train, with the mob in hot pursuit to keep her from testifying. This is a very tight 71 minute movie thats easy to watch. The no name cast is terrific, and so is the dialogue. There's a great payoff with a nice twist and a dynamite ending.

Million Dollar Baby-

That was darker than I was expecting. I guess I'll dodge spoilers (even though it was a high profile movie from over a decade ago), but this film takes a sharp turn and gets really bleak. Hilary Swank was very good in the ring, outside of it, and in the third act. A very deserving Oscar winner. Less deserving is Morgan Freeman, who only really "acts" in one scene (an admittedly fantastic scene), and just narrates and soliloquies his way through the film. Eastwood plays Eastwood better than I've ever seen him. I like how slow it was, because it never got boring. These three characters all have interesting and different backgrounds, and their mundane conversations contribute a lot to their personalities. I'm an outspoken non-fan of boxing movies, but this one dodges cliches and is more about the people than the boxing. I don't know if it deserved best picture, but it's pretty great.

Days of Thunder (Tony Scott, 1990) -
+

The racing scenes are actually pretty entertaining but the rest of the movie is pretty meh.
That's exactly what I thought too...good film for nascar fans.

The running man

Not too bad for an 80s movie I guess, but some pretty stupid writing.
Unarmed guy getting chased by killers.. and he never picks up a weapon. Kills a dude with a chainsaw, just leaves the chainsaw there to go run from the next guy unarmed.

Hell, early on I was thinking pick up a rock or something!! would have come in handy when someone was chasing them on a motorcycle… driving at you at 40 mph thats like you're throwing the rock at 70mph if you can even make a 30mph pitch

WARNING: "Ending was stupid and contradicted the story" spoilers below
Makes a big deal about not killing mr. lite brite in cold blood, then ends the movie by killing someone in cold blood. And everyone rejoices. uhhhh

Don't by too concerned about the spoiler tags. It's an 80s action movie with Arnold, you already know how it ends

Spotlight -

No nonsense film, gives you to details, lets the story unravel slowly and efficiently. Great performances from key players, decent performances from others. Recommended.

The Big Short -

Interesting story with some comical performances that betray the film. The tone seems all off and rabid editing mixed with the off-the-wall directing makes it suffer. The complete opposite of Spotlight, despite both films being relevant today with depressing stories. Gosling has the best self-aware performance, Bale chews up all the scenery.

Care for some gopher?
The Overnight (Patrick Brice, 2015) -
+

An entertaining yet absurd little movie. Liked the cast around Taylor Schilling, Jason Schwartzman and Adam Scott.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Yearling - 6/10

Most annoying kid in film history (lol).. I think the fawn was the best actor of them all, and the best part of the movie. The script is often too cliched, sappy, and lacked substance.

Hotel Transylvania

Cloverfield
- can't wait to see what 10 Cloverfield Lane turns out to be!