Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Well that's a completely different story then. I just didn't assume that from the movie. I never meant to suggest she was doing the right thing or that the men were being treated the way they should be. I just don't see Jack Nicholson's character as a positive influence, or part of a solution. Just a person trying to assert a different sort of control.

The movie still doesn't click for me, but that's just my opinion/preference.
No, your take pretty much hits the nail on the head. I remember the book better than the movie, which I haven't seen in years. Maybe the movie does make him out to be more heroic than he was but McMurphy in the novel was a user. It wasn't till the end that he realized he couldn't con or charm his way out of what turned out to be his fate. It was that realization that the book truly captured. Kesey lays it out so much better than any synopsis of mine could.

The Boys in the Boat.

Eh. Very average. Wasn't bad but failed to excite me.

2.5/5

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

That's some bad hat, Harry.
No Hard Feelings - 2/5

Half a star for each time it made me laugh. Horrible film overall. I guess Jennifer Lawrence figured it was time to do a pay cheque movie.

Sex farce and coming-of-age drama can work (eg. The Last American Virgin) but don't try to be serious when it all hinges on such a stupid premise.

That's some bad hat, Harry.
The Lobster - 4/5

Bold. Brilliant. Surreal. Absurd. Touching. Hilarious.

PS. don't ask me what it's about.

So on Wednesday I watched Tremors for the first time and have since watched all 7 films in the franchise.

Tremors (1990)

Tremors 2: Aftershocks (1996)

Tremors 3: Back to Perfection (2001)

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins (2004)

Tremors 5: Bloodlines (2015)

Tremors: A Cold Day In Hell (2018)

Tremors: Shrieker Island (2020)

Boldly going.
This is Spinal Tap
7/10.
First viewing... I tried watching it a few years ago but I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time.

I almost didn't recognize Michael McKean as the lead singer in this rock band (he usually plays uptight guys in suits).

I found the dry humor mildly funny.

So on Wednesday I watched Tremors for the first time and have since watched all 7 films in the franchise.

Tremors (1990)

Tremors 2: Aftershocks (1996)

Tremors 3: Back to Perfection (2001)

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins (2004)

Tremors 5: Bloodlines (2015)

Tremors: A Cold Day In Hell (2018)

Tremors: Shrieker Island (2020)

One of us! One of us! One of us! (us being me)

I forgot the opening line.

By MoviePosterDB.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=35746173

Calamari Union - (1985)

At first I didn't really like this absurdist comedy from Aki Kaurismäki, but I warmed up to it and eventually decided to watch it again from the start - this time very much into it. A group of 15 Finnish musicians decide that the area of Helsinki they live in - the Kallio district - has become too oppressive and grim to continue residing there. They decide to relocate to an almost mythical district on the other side of the city - Eira. Unfortunately - despite being guided to the city center - all of these guys (they're all called Frank), plus an extra hanger on, Pekka (Markku Toikka) are too distractible, crazy, stupid, mischievous and confused to ever get far - and often start philosophizing, planning or getting sidetracked by ladies, food, drink and the like. I can feel a lot of improv going on here - but there's more structure, art and purpose than at first seems apparent. Also, once on it's wavelength the film is very, and I mean very, funny. Great music just seals the deal as far as it's vibe goes - and there are deeper political depths to dig down into, proving that the concept is far from some random, silly concept. There's a nice, purposeful, expressive flair to this silly Pythonesque excursion!

8/10

By Second Run DVD - Derived from a digital capture (photo/scan) of the VHS or DVD cover (creator of this digital version is irrelevant as the copyright in all equivalent images is still held by either the film studio or the artist). Fair use regardless., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=46664972

The Round-Up - (1966)

Confusion reigns as we get a prisoner's perspective of Hungary's war against revolutionary bandits in the 19th Century - there are no consistent protagonists here, just mind games, trickery, brutality, coercion and probable execution awaiting even those who cooperate. This was one of Hungarian director Miklós Jancsó's most lauded films. Review here on my watchlist thread.

8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Dumb Money (2023)

Not quite on the level of The Big Short but still pretty good. Pete Davidson has certainly worn out his welcome for me I think at this point though, while Paul Dano delivered really well. I knew a couple people that were part of this movement on Reddit, but it still surprises me how big this was (were kids in college really talking about 'Roaring Kitty' at parties?).

Dumb Money (2023)

Not quite on the level of The Big Short but still pretty good. Pete Davidson has certainly worn out his welcome for me I think at this point though, while Paul Dano delivered really well. I knew a couple people that were part of this movement on Reddit, but it still surprises me how big this was (were kids in college really talking about 'Roaring Kitty' at parties?).
I really liked this as well. Pete Davidson is fine as Keith's brother, but I was annoyed by his presence because it seems like he's done a slacker part like that one dozens of times already!

2023's business movies (Air, BlackBerry, this one and even Flamin' Hot) are all enjoyable. One of last year's best trends.

The Woman on Pier 13 (1949)

I watched this because it's on the noirs list, but despite its presence there, it's only rated 6 on IMDb and 20% on RT. I get it. It's original title was the less alluring but more accurate "I Married a Communist ". It was changed after not doing well, but it was too late to change the plot. It starts off promising with all the great noir lingo and look, and Robert Ryan is always fun to watch. I just didn't care much for the story. It was merely ok.

Avengers Endgame - (2019)

I think I liked it more this time than the first time I saw it. It's an incredible movie

Hey there!

Oh, I totally get what you mean about "Avengers Endgame." It's one of those movies that seems to get better with each viewing. There's just so much packed into it, you know? Every time I watch it, I notice something new, whether it's a tiny detail in the background or a subtle nod to another Marvel movie.

Speaking of details, did you ever notice how the costume designs are so on point? Like, take Tony Stark for example. His choice of attire, especially that brown suit he wears in one of the scenes, subtly reflects his character's evolution throughout the series. It's those kinds of details that make me appreciate the movie even more.
bidi bidi bidi

Rye Lane -

This is a funny and charming "one crazy day" movie in the same vein as Before Sunrise and Lost in Translation. South London twentysomethings Dom (Jonsson) and Yas (Oparah), both reeling from breakups, meet by chance in a unisex restroom. While commiserating, the movie becomes a travelogue that takes us to the city's many colorful parks, hangouts and restaurants. It then switches to a heist movie once Yas is determined to make Dom assist her in retrieving her Low End Theory LP from her ex's place.

Like the other movies I mentioned that could have inspired it, the makers of this one know the joy of exploring a place with plenty of things to see and do. It also knows that the importance of not having a plan while doing so because most of the joy is in all the surprises along the way, the best one happening to be one of the best cameos I've seen in a while. It helps that Jonsson and Oparah are charming, have strong chemistry and that all the cutaways that recreate and embellish their stories are so stylish and out there. One occurring in a theater, for instance, amusingly features dozens of Dom clones in the audience. The movie also may have taken cues from After Hours for how well it handles the scenes where Dom gets into trouble. Despite all these similarities, it's very much its own entity, not to mention for our times. Oh, and the soundtrack is amazing. It ends up being a movie that proves that breakups may be tough, but the pain can be overcome, especially since so many of them are opportunities for something better. It will also remind you that simply walking, talking and exploring is a heck of a combination.

1st Rewatch...This razor-sharp political nail-biter was much more compelling this time around since I have to confess I missed a major plot point the first time watched it. Ryan Gosling plays the junior campaign manager of a governor (George Clooney) whose career begins to unravel when he agrees to meet with the governor's opponent camp who offer him a job, while helping a pretty young intern (Evan Rachel Wood) who becomes a pawn in all the political machinations. Clooney also provides crisp direction, even if the screenplay is a little overprotective of his character, but this one is well worth watching. Gosling definitely proved to be more than a pretty face here. {Rating)4[/rating]

1st Rewatch...From the "If you liked the first one" school of sequel making, the laughs are less consistent than the first one. The funniest thing in the movie is the spoof of The Exorcist featuring James Woods, Veronica Cartwright, and Andy Richter that precedes the actual film.

1st Rewatch...I enjoyed Jacques Demy's magical homage to MGM musicals even more this time around. This musical, in French with subtitles, follows the arrival of a theatrical troupe in a French seaside town and how two of the carnies (George Chakiris, Grover Dale) find themselves with a pair of sisters (Catherine Deneuve, Francois Dorleac) who teach music and dance. Love Demy's completely unapologetic approach to presenting a musical. The first musical number actually occurs doing the opening credits and the choreography has a real Fosse influence to it. Gene Kelly's glorified makes you wish he had more screentime, but I have to admit I had a big stupid grin on my face throughout the running time. It should be mentioned that all the singing is dubbed (including Kelly), but this not deter from my enjoyment, I am even upping my original rating.