kung fu movie scene

Tools    

what kung fu movie has one dude fighting like 100 guys and they all surround him in some old chinese restaurant and the bad guys all have axes, but the hero breaks a bamboo pole and starts beating them by wrapping them up in it?

and it's NOT kung-fu hustle. much older.

Awesome film.

sorry, that's the wrong film. i looked it up and that's not it. maybe the axes are throwing you off..?

it's much older than 2004

I was going to suggest that, but couldn't find the scene on YouTube to confirm. Nice call.
could you please change it back to unanswered. thank you.

Sure, but how certain are you that this isn't it? I don't know what you mean by "I looked it up," since you haven't seen it, unless you found a detailed scene-by-scene breakdown.

I looked on youtube, that's the very first place I went. And I know it's not that film for certain because that scene isn't even in there.

The guy goes into a double or triple level type chinese restaurant and then they surround him (you know the drill...)

Eventually he ends up breaking bamboo apart into almost a broom like weapon and scratches and scars them.. then he starts wrapping them up in it. I'm not sure if this type of bamboo fighting technique is an integral part of the film or just part of the fighting scene.

I also thought it might be drunken master or some jackie chan film. But nope. It's not set in a modern city. Although it has that same type of feel from drunken master where ... here ...here's a clip that reminds me of the time period of dress and types of feel of era from the movie i'm looking for:

[ack... won't let me post the link because i only have 3 post count]

the reason i remember it is because it's one of the greatest fight scenes i've ever seen on film and was sure i'd find it by searching for that on youtube.. it kinda has the ingenuity of jackie chan feel to it where he uses objects like chairs and brooms to beat his opponents.

Not every scene of every movie is on YouTube; not even close. Not finding a scene on YouTube doesn't tell us anything about whether or not it's in a given movie.

yes i'm aware of that. that wasn't the point of citing youtube. i was only mentioning it to say where i started looking.

drunken master II has a restaurant fight scene.
I bet whatever you're looking for it was choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping

oh I just reread your post where you say it's modern. It's not Ong bak is it? I can't recall a bamboo scene but there is scenes in clubs/restuarants

No it's NOT modern. And it's not a bamboo scene. He uses a bamboo pole to fight them off. Like he somehow splits it so it shatters and the end resembles a broom and then he puts something around it so it can alternately retract into a pole shape and fan out like a broom with a bunch of individual bamboo pieces at the end. And then when he smacks the guys, it leaves red slash marks all over them.

At some point he breaks the bamboo and they end up getting it wrapped around them, kinda like when jackie chan uses jackets and shirts or hoses to wrap up 3 guys fighting him at once. Sorry but that's as much as I can remember other than the multi level restaurant and all the guys chasing him around it.

Oh and, no, Ong bak is too modern, it's not that.

i was thinking Project A Part 2 which has a gang of out-of-work pirates with axes attacking Jackie Chan while he's handcuffed to an officer of the law in late 19th-century Hong Kong. but that fight doesn't utilized the broken bamboo that you're talking about. Once Upon a Time in China Part 2, starring Jet Li does feature such a weapon but again doesn't fit with the use of axes.

I'll have to think about this some more because there are plenty of movies that feature the things you're talking about but I can't think of any where they're all together.

Driving me crazy because this is one of the greatest fight scenes ever made! The hundreds of guys, the inventive use of the bamboo. The fight choreography on par with jackie chan type ingenuity. aggggggggg.

Yeah, I knew I'd seen this. Okay, think I got it. This is Drunken Master 2 (aka Legend of Drunken Master in the US.) Choreographed by Hong Kong Legend Lau Kar Leung and starring Jackie Chan.

&feature=related

edit: christine was right.

And for the hell of it, Lau also has a great pole fight scene with Sammo Hung in Pedicab Driver (1989)

But yeah, check the clip in my previous post and tell us if the movie you're thinking of is Legend of Drunken Master.

haha.. linespalsy nice! yeah i think i was thinking of the OTHER drunken master agggg.. apologies to christine!..

thanks so much for the find!! (and i never type more the one exclamation point so you can tell i just sold you my future firstborn)

that fight scene was too good.

oh crap the ending isn't right. i think i have 2 movies mixed up in my head that i somehow just associated as one movie in my head. this is definitely the one i was looking for, thanks for that.. but there's also another movie that has a guy breaking bamboo and like wrapping or tying people up in it as he fights them.. ring any bells?