Oh Crap....Help

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
I'm going out on my first, actual date tomorrow. Please, please give me any and all advice. Thank you!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Assuming it's a girl you are dating:
Just be yourself. Also, humor is always good, it losens you both up. If you are going to a restaurant, DO NOT order for her, but let her order first! Reach for her hand when you are walking, or sitting at a movie. Most of all, be yourself! Don't put on a show for her to impress her. She chose to go out with the real you, not some phony wannabe.

rhymes with Goebbels
I think you're a bit too young for my usual suggestion of a nice dinner followed by cloroform

The most important thing, in my experience, is being relaxed, and you're more likely to be relaxed if you don't inflate the importance of the event. It's a date. There'll almost certainly be more, with her or someone else. That may sound somewhat cynical, but I think the worst thing you can do is build it up as some sort of life-altering event. It's significant that it's your first, but I think you'll be better off if you play it down a bit in your mind.

I'm more, or less, just nervous about it all. Like when you stand up to give a speech to your classroom or such. You're just hoping you don't make a fool of yourself. That's all.

My advice is, if it gets physical...

"PHYSICAL!"

Wear a condom. Each time.

Otherwise, in nine months...

Or, for the rest of your life...

The latter is definitely not sexy.

Personally, I recommend abstinence. Please, take her to see Happy Feet, and make sure that's all that stays happy. Be home by 9 (PM!)

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, don't overthink it. My first date was with a guy before either of us could drive, so his mom took us to the movie theater. I made several mistakes on my first date:

-- Letting his mom pick us up in her station wagon full of Rottweilers. They were in the back and we were in the second seat, so I had Rottweiler slobber all over the back of my shirt by the time we got to the theater.

-- We saw "Blazing Saddles." I was in ninth grade, and although I'd seen it before, my date hadn't. For anyone who's seen that movie, you can probably understand why seeing it with a first date in ninth grade probably wasn't a good idea. Do you *laugh* at Lili Von Schtupp or not?

But it was a nice, innocuous date. And I look back on it fondly.

First date with current hubby (at age 37) was quite a different matter. Met on the internet and were finally meeting in person. I went home in my car afterwards (we had dinner, that's all) crying my eyes out (tough to drive like that!), saying I'd never go on another blind-type date again. Married him a little over a year later. SO, although first impressions might mean something, don't put too much stock in 'em.

Oh, and I definitely agree. No hanky panky. Sheesh. It's a shame we have to even say this. I agree with the "Happy Feet" idea too. No date movies. Too much pressure. Go for a fun comedy like that. Remember: You can't unsay something, and you can't go backwards. Slow and steady wins the race in dating. Don't try to impress her. Just be you. If you falsely impress her now, she'll just figure out who you are that much later anyway. Better she gets to know you right up front.

And have fun!! And don't post all about it on your blog when you get home.

Originally Posted by Austruck
-- Letting his mom pick us up in her station wagon full of Rottweilers. They were in the back and we were in the second seat, so I had Rottweiler slobber all over the back of my shirt by the time we got to the theater.
What the.... ? Did the mom think you might be a bad girl and she wanted the dogs to scare you and bite if you tried anything? Your date must have died of embarrassment.

Time capsule moment, above: Austruck's past. Rottweilers everywhere. From left to right: Michelle, David, Cookie, Bunyan, Grover & King.

We're going to see The Pursuit of Happyness. I'll be leaving here in half an hour. Not nearly as nervous when I asked her but, still just a wee bit nervous.

Originally Posted by shirble
I think you're a bit too young for my usual suggestion of a nice dinner followed by cloroform
Dammit woman! you stole my reply.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know. I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." -David Cronenberg

Originally Posted by Austruck
-- We saw "Blazing Saddles." I was in ninth grade, and although I'd seen it before, my date hadn't. For anyone who's seen that movie, you can probably understand why seeing it with a first date in ninth grade probably wasn't a good idea. Do you *laugh* at Lili Von Schtupp or not?

But it was a nice, innocuous date. And I look back on it fondly.

Oh, and I definitely agree. No hanky panky. Sheesh. It's a shame we have to even say this. I agree with the "Happy Feet" idea too. No date movies. Too much pressure. Go for a fun comedy like that. Remember: You can't unsay something, and you can't go backwards. Slow and steady wins the race in dating. Don't try to impress her. Just be you. If you falsely impress her now, she'll just figure out who you are that much later anyway. Better she gets to know you right up front.

And have fun!! And don't post all about it on your blog when you get home.
See, I'm a big putz. I have dragged every single first date I have ever had to some art film or some wacky pythonesque comedy.

I guess it all depends on where and how you meet. Most of the people I have dated I knew in some fashion before the actual "date" the few I didn't I would always "test the mettle" by shocking or horrifying them with my filmic choices. Only with one had I never gotten a second date.

Well also a lot of the time for me the "hanky panky" was the first date. What can I say, I'm a slut.

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of my "dates" have been friendships first, add a dash of "mm-mm" and there you have my entire dating history.

I hope it turns out well for you, definitely do not follow my pattern especially with someone who hasn't seen you naked yet. (skinny dipping and pool hoping were also a ready weapon in my dating arsenal, ahhh youth)

The Adventure Starts Here!
SC, I think the mom was just running errands and took the dogs. We were one of the errands. I have a feeling that people who own dogs like that don't actually realize their effect on other people who, well, don't have dogs like that.

He wasn't embarrassed. He got slobbered on too, and not by me.

We didn't date very long. We were only 14 and couldn't go anywhere anyway. Plus, well, he thought I was very funny but he was kinda, well, little more than a good audience.

I'm happy to report that I'm still alive and that I survived the date.

It went well. About 3/4 fourths of the way into the film I got daring and moved my hand towards hers. Very slowly of course, didn't want to be found out to quick. Long story short I held her hand through the last quarter of the film. It was rather uncomfortable at first but then, I lost feeling in my hand.

Originally Posted by John McClane
I'm happy to report that I'm still alive and that I survived the date.

It went well. About 3/4 fourths of the way into the film I got daring and moved my hand towards hers. Very slowly of course, didn't want to be found out to quick. Long story short I held her hand through the last quarter of the film. It was rather uncomfortable at first but then, I lost feeling in my hand.
That is the absolutely sweetest, coolest thing I have heard in the last week. Cheers!

Just so you all are more informed, I've liked this chick for quite a while. I met her last year in Spanish and "dated" her, if you want to call it that, but broke it off after two weeks. Now a year later, since I can drive, I got daring enough to ask her out. Let's just see where things go.

Originally Posted by John McClane
Now a year later, since I can drive, I got daring enough to ask her out. Let's just see where things go.

Ahhh, driving, the key to a womans heart. Definitely a big help. Unless you crash, with her with you.

GET HER DRUNK! Or even better, don't get her drunk and instead get yourself drunk. Act like a fool and be all grabby on her. "Treat a girl like dirt and she'll stick to you like mud." - Slackers Actually, it sounds like you're a pretty smooth operator. DaShiz salutes you! May you get this chick and be blessed with major poon-tang. Like SexyCeleb' said, wear a raincoat cause there's bound to be some acid rain in them panties.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
GET HER DRUNK! Or even better, don't get her drunk and instead get yourself drunk. Act like a fool and be all grabby on her. "Treat a girl like dirt and she'll stick to you like mud." - Slackers Actually, it sounds like you're a pretty smooth operator. DaShiz salutes you! May you get this chick and be blessed with major poon-tang. Like SexyCeleb' said, wear a raincoat cause there's bound to be some acid rain in them panties.
Thanks Pimp, I feel so much less like a slut now

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Ahhh, driving, the key to a womans heart. Definitely a big help. Unless you crash, with her with you.
Well, I can drive like a perfectionist when I want to so that's not a problem. As long as no one hits me.