The Motorcycle Diaries
Sideways

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
The Aviator
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Hotel Rwanda
The Incredibles
Vera Drake
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
The Incredibles
Shark Tale
Shrek 2

ART DIRECTION:
The Aviator
Fiunding Neverland
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
The Phantom of the Opera
A Very Long Engagement

CINEMATOGRAPHY:
The Aviator
House of Flying Dagger
The Passion of the Christ
The Phantom of the Opera
A Very Long Engagement

COSTUME DESIGN:
The Aviator
Finding Neverland
Ray
Troy

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE:
Born into Brothels
The Story of the Weeping Came;
Super-Size Me
Tupac: Resurrection
Twist of Faith

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT:
Autism is a World
The Children of Leningradsky
Hardwood
Mighty Times: The Children's March
Sister Rose's Passion

FILM EDITING:
The Aviator
Collateral
Finding Neverland
Million Dollar Baby
Ray

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM:
As it is in Heaven
The Chorus
The Downfall
The Sea Inside
Yesterday

MAKEUP:
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortjnate Events
The Sea Inside

ORIGINAL SCORE:
Finding Neverland
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Village

ORIGINAL SONG:
"Accidentally In Love", Shrek 2
"Al Otro Lado Del Río", The Motorcycle Diaries
"Believe", The Polar Express
"Learn To Be Lonely", The Phantom of the Opera
"Look To Your Path (Vois Sur Ton Chemin)", The Chorus

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED):
Birthday Boy
Gopher Broke
Guard Dog
Lorenzo
Ryan

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION):
Everything in This Country Must
Little Terrorist
7:35 in the Morning
Two Cars, One Night
Wasp

SOUND EDITING:
The Incredibles
The Polar Express
Spider-Man 2

SOUND MIXING:
The Aviator
The Incredibles
The Polar Express
Ray
Spider-Man 2

VISUAL EFFECTS:
Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban
I, Robot
Spider-Man 2

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I'm very happy to see the Incredibles get a nod for best Original Screenplay, however if Eternal Sunshine looses it again....

Originally Posted by MinionTV
Eternal Sunshine not up for best picture?

C'mon.
Which nominee do you think Eternal Sunshine could have replaced? I really enjoyed ETOTSM but the other films up for the Oscar are simply better movies.

Originally Posted by Lance McCool
Which nominee do you think Eternal Sunshine could have replaced? I really enjoyed ETOTSM but the other films up for the Oscar are simply better movies.
Oh, please.

I think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is easily better than Ray and Finding Neverland, and for my taste much better than the woefully overrated Sideways too. But Aviator, Million Dollar Baby and Sideways were all three locks for Best Picture nominations. The other two spots were going to be filled by any number of movies, including Closer, Hotel Rwanda, Kinsey and of course the two that actually made the cut. Sadly, the Academy was not going to nominate Eternal Sunshine for Best Picture. It has nothing to do with "quality", it's simply not the kind of film as far as tone and style that they recognize as Best Picture. Screenplay, sure, and that's largely because other screenwriters do the nominating and they know damn well Chuck Kaufman is a genius. But Best Picture...that's something the entire membership gets to nominate, and it's simply not the kind of movie they as a body go for. But that doesn't deminish Spotless Mind's greatness at all. If anything, it rather reconfirms it for me.

Frankly, I think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a better movie than any of the five nominees (as is A Very Long Engagement, as is Dogville). But I knew it had zero chance of actually getting an Oscar nomination. That's just the reality of The Oscars. But don't for half a second think it has anything at all to do with quality. Anybody who seriously thinks Finding Neverland is a better movie than Eternal Sunshine is a moron. And yes, Academy, I'm talking to you.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is easily better than Ray and Finding Neverland, and for my taste much better than the woefully overrated Sideways too.
Sideways was awesome...

Sadly, the Academy was not going to nominate Eternal Sunshine for Best Picture. It has nothing to do with "quality", it's simply not the kind of film as far as tone and style that they recognize as Best Picture. Screenplay, sure, and that's largely because other screenwriters do the nominating and they know damn well Chuck Kaufman is a genius. But Best Picture...that's something the entire membership gets to nominate, and it's simply not the kind of movie they as a body go for.
Well Lost in Translation was "That kind of film" and it got nominated for an oscar

Anybody who seriously thinks Finding Neverland is a better movie than Eternal Sunshine is a moron.
Then I guess I'm a moron

Have you seen Million Dollar Baby yet, Pike?

history *is* moralizing
i love both Lost In Translation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...

Sideways was awesome...
No, it really isn't.

Well Lost in Translation was "That kind of film" and it got nominated for an Oscar.
No it isn't. Lost in Translation has a very straightforward narrative, and despite being more subtle than most Hollywood fare it is quite accessible for a mainstream audience. Eternal Sunshine has a trickier narrative and complex ideas that a more casual filmgoer would have a much tougher time grasping. Though totally different subject matter and tones, Fight Club is more like Eternal Sunshine than Lost in Translation is, as far as Academy voters are concerned anyway. Something that challenging just doesn't get nominated but once in a very great while, and when it does it's not in a movie that did relatively little boxoffice and stars a guy who is still most famous for talking out of his ass. That Winslet was nominated for it instead of Finding Neverland is great, and a huge step in the right direction. But Eternal Sunshine simply isn't the kind of movie they are going to nominate for Best Picture.

Then I guess I'm a moron.
You guessed right.

Originally Posted by Garrett
Have you seen Million Dollar Baby yet, Pike?
Yup, I saw it last weekend. It's great, easily one of Eastwood's very best. I think it'll take Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actress - though there may well be a Picture/Director split with Aviatoir.

Splitting Director from Picture used to be very rare, happening once every ten years or so. But recently it's become quite common, with three of the last six going that way (Shakespeare in Love/Steven Spielberg, Gladiator/Steven Soderbergh, Chicago/Roman Polanski). Before this recent run, it had happened only three times since 1970 (The Godfather/Bob Fosse, Chariots of Fire/Warren Beatty, Driving Miss Daisy/Oliver Stone).

Both Million Dollar Baby and The Aviator have their flaws and neither is the best work in the director's carrers, but they are easily the two best movies of the five nominees, and I think the emotional impact of Million Dollar Baby and delicate and intelligent handling of a serious subject is going to give it the edge over the glossy epic of The Aviator. That the Catholic League or whoever is condemning Eastwood's film only increases its awards chances.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm pleased to see Gary McKendry getting nominated for Everything in This Country Must.

To (mis)quote Colin Welland - "The Irish are coming!"

....perhaps not.

Lets put a smile on that block
Was Dogville released too early for this years Oscars? Or was it simply overlooked last year? I cant remember.

It's such a shame Eternal Sunshine isn't up for best picture.

I havn't seen everything yet but so far i want -

Best Actor - Leonardo DiCaprio, The Aviator
Best Actress - Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine fo ther Spotless Mind
Best Supporting Actress - Cate Blanchett, The Aviator (I thought she was absoloulty brilliant as Katherine Hepburn)

Has anyone seen Kinsey yet? Has it been released? I love Laura Linney.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Was Dogville released too early for this years Oscars? Or was it simply overlooked last year? I cant remember.

Has anyone seen Kinsey yet? Has it been released? I love Laura Linney.
Dogville was elligible for this year's Oscars. It was critically panned by in large, made zero money, and was (falsely) labled as anti-American. So no, it didn't get any nominations. At all.

Kinsey was released in November here for limited release, and was in wider release by Christmas. It's still playing on a few screens here in Portland, but I haven't seen it.

Neutral Milk Hotel
Oh, please.

I think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is easily better than Ray and Finding Neverland, and for my taste much better than the woefully overrated Sideways too. But Aviator, Million Dollar Baby and Sideways were all three locks for Best Picture nominations. The other two spots were going to be filled by any number of movies, including Closer, Hotel Rwanda, Kinsey and of course the two that actually made the cut. Sadly, the Academy was not going to nominate Eternal Sunshine for Best Picture. It has nothing to do with "quality", it's simply not the kind of film as far as tone and style that they recognize as Best Picture. Screenplay, sure, and that's largely because other screenwriters do the nominating and they know damn well Chuck Kaufman is a genius. But Best Picture...that's something the entire membership gets to nominate, and it's simply not the kind of movie they as a body go for. But that doesn't deminish Spotless Mind's greatness at all. If anything, it rather reconfirms it for me.

Frankly, I think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a better movie than any of the five nominees (as is A Very Long Engagement, as is Dogville). But I knew it had zero chance of actually getting an Oscar nomination. That's just the reality of The Oscars. But don't for half a second think it has anything at all to do with quality. Anybody who seriously thinks Finding Neverland is a better movie than Eternal Sunshine is a moron. And yes, Academy, I'm talking to you.
Well said Pike. Well said. I love Eternal Sunshine but I too knew it would not get a Best picture nod. I am very glad that it is nominated in the screenplay categorie and I think it is complete bull that it did not win at the globes.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Put me in your pocket...
Then I guess I'm a moron
Don't worry Lance...I'm in with the group of morans too. I liked Finding Neverland much more than Eternal Sunshine. I felt more with that movie and haven't cried that much in a public theater in a very long time. I liked and appreciate Eternal Sunshine, but it isn't the type of movie I see myself viewing again and again, like I can with Neverland.

OG...I'm also glad the Incredibles is nominated for best Original Screenplay (eventhough I know it won't win, it's nice that it's recognized)...and I hope it wins for animated feature film.

Holden...great thread.

I have yet to see most of the films nominated for best picture, but would be surprised if I enjoyed any of them more than I enjoyed Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind... Simply a brilliant film

My Top 100 favorite movies.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I agree 100% with Holden on this. Million Dollar Baby, because of the emotional intensity of it, will dominate the major awards. I'd of rather seen Hotel Rwanda and Eternal Sunshine replace Ray and Sideways in best pic, but alas...