Is TV More Compelling Than Cinema Now??

Tools    

Its always been that what you could watch on TV is what everyone can watch, and when you see a movie its what you want to watch.

Cable allowed TV to broaden its horizons, pay channels offer same content and movies.

Nowadays cable is pushing the envelope with shows like Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Mad Men, and HBO is a juggernaut with shows like Game Of Thrones & Westworld.

People are more excited to see whats going to be coming on tv than whats coming to the theater, yes or no? Have we culturally turned the page, and with binge watching seasons of great series, do movies have the same punch anymore?

Not for me. If you are only talking about the big movies from hollywood, then maybe yes. There's much more movies than tv shows that interest me each year though.

No for me as well.

I've yet to find a TV series that keeps my attention.
I usually manage 3 or 4 episodes then quit.

Something about TV, regardless of production value, that just seems, well, worthless to me.

I think it's kind of odd to compare the two...two very different forms of entertainment that really can't be judged in the same way. I come across compelling movies and TV constantly but comparing TV to movies would just be wrong.

I agree with you to a large extent. It really is a great time for television nowadays. Lots of new, fresh shows with innovative and bold ideas. Recent mainstream movies, on the other hand, have flash but lack substance. The best movies mostly come out during November-February (for Oscar consideration). I think money has a huge role to play in this. The film industry is substantially larger than the television industry commercially. Therefore, studios push for movies with CGI, action, explosions, etc, that are bound to make money (e.g. Transformers). TV Shows on the other hand, have gotten more creative freedom with the advent of streaming services such as Netflix which are likely to pick your show up if isn't picked up by a cable network.

I agree with some of the comments here. 2 very different beasts with pros and cons. To be honest what attracts me to TV nowadays is that the stories are very interesting and you are given the opportunity to connect and grow along a character. Such things are of course also part of movies but for a shorter period of time. But then again, movies have the budget and the awesome casts to make really great ideas come to life easily!

I agree with some of the comments here. 2 very different beasts with pros and cons. To be honest what attracts me to TV nowadays is that the stories are very interesting and you are given the opportunity to connect and grow along a character. Such things are of course also part of movies but for a shorter period of time. But then again, movies have the budget and the awesome casts to make really great ideas come to life easily!
Nice post! Welcome to the forum

Yep. Has been for years. For me, anyway, as I've said a number of times here. However, I think that might have something to do with tv being a better medium than cinema for writers. Especially when we're talking mainstream Hollywood, which relies more and more on spectacle as the years pass and the worldwide take becomes ever more important.

Yep. Has been for years. For me, anyway, as I've said a number of times here. However, I think that might have something to do with tv being a better medium than cinema for writers. Especially when we're talking mainstream Hollywood, which relies more and more on spectacle as the years pass and the worldwide take becomes ever more important.
Long time no see Homie!

Yeah I remember when I would eagerly await the release of some movie, count the days and see it on opening night. Not in a very long time has this happened. Now the eagerness is replaced with wondering whose gonna bite-it on The Walking Dead, what happened on Game Of Thrones, or just w.t.h is going on in Westworld. Binge watching a season of a show like House Of Cards brings more satisfaction than most films now. Now they have more and more actors making the transition from movies to television.

Why the hell not?! Other than your highest minded art films, the content is the same now. The quality of storytelling may even be surpassing mainstream cinema as shows like Fargo are revered, and movies now use superheros like they used to use the western or war genres. Most of the time not correctly, but overall it could be worse.