Why was Hulk (2003) not a bigger hit?

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Life And Death

Full episode (minus the opening intro) of the original series for anyone who's interested. Guest stars Andrew Robinson who played the killer in Dirty Harry.

A system of cells interlinked
I thought Eric Bana was miscast as Banner, and Nolte was pretty rough as the father. The CGI hulk was too cartoon-like, and the film was just kind of a drag overall. I did like the attempt at comic panels, but I never get the urge to revisit this flick. I like the current incarnation of The Hulk just fine, although I am getting kind of burnt out on the comic film genre in general at this point.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I thought Eric Bana was miscast as Banner, and Nolte was pretty rough as the father. The CGI hulk was too cartoon-like, and the film was just kind of a drag overall. I did like the attempt at comic panels, but I never get the urge to revisit this flick. I like the current incarnation of The Hulk just fine, although I am getting kind of burnt out on the comic film genre in general at this point.
CGI in context of 2003? I don't remember having issues with it, myself, but like SeeingIsBelieving noted earlier up in the thread the leapfrog jumping was odd!!

Honestly though, I remember enjoying it and being confused by the backlash.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I thought Eric Bana was miscast as Banner, I am getting kind of burnt out on the comic film genre in general at this point.
That's interesting. Who do you think is the best casting out of the other two actors to date?

I feel burnt out when it comes to the team-ups. For example I thought it was a shame not to give Henry Cavill's Superman a sequel before going into the Justice League scenario.

And actually I hated that they made X-Men: Days of Future Past after First Class. I would have liked another film just with those characters and I believe Matthew Vaughn said as much.

20 years old today.

I feel like this has aged better for me than most of the other cb fare from the past two decades. I know it isn't a cup of tea for most but it's grown on me immensely in the past year or so.

Don't make me angry.

The CGI hulk was too cartoon-like, and the film was just kind of a drag overall.

The tone of the script was bathetic (characterized by bathos), super-serious and dour, but then the visual style was the loose in the style of a comic book (let's have some fun!). It was a bit odd to have Shakespearean tonality paired with a neon green Hulk jumping from frame-to-frame fighting radioactive poodles.