TCM hit with mass layoffs..everybody is worried

Tools    

With the future of Turner Classic Movies uncertain amid Warner Bros. Discovery’s restructuring, TCM host Dave Karger says he’s “beyond heartbroken” to lose so many colleagues to layoffs. But he also vowed to be a “stabilizing and familiar presence” amid the upheaval.
“A note to our passionate TCM viewers: It’s been a tough week, to say the least, and I’m beyond heartbroken that we are losing so many brilliant colleagues who are also dear friends,” Karger tweeted<&callback=load_tweet">/a> on Friday, June 23. “I’ve seen all of your support online, and it means so much to all of us.”

In
a follow-up tweet<&callback=load_tweet">/a>, Karger wrote, “My goal (and I know the other hosts agree) is to try to be a stabilizing and familiar presence in the months ahead. There will be some bumps, but we will all be on the road together.”

Karger’s posts came as
TheWrap reported that the TCM staff was being slashed from about 90 employees to about 20 — and as Deadline revealed that Warner Bros. Pictures Group co-CEOs Pamela Abdy and Michael De Luca would curate the films that TCM airs
https://www.tvinsider.com/1097230/tc...karger-tweets/

Ironically I just watched a documentary on the Z-Channel which was like the earlier version of TCM and how that went away a year after the main programmer died. This is ofcourse devastating for cinema and begs the question...will TCM go the same way as every other Cable Channel like MTV, History, The Learning Channel, and Bravo.

Gosh I hope not! I don't have TCM but it's the only cable channel I would want to watch. It would be a big loss to classic 20th century cinema if it went defunct or starting showing nothing but chopper build shows and cook offs.

When I first got cable there was a channel called AMC (which stood for American Movie Classics).
I still have that channel, but they rarely even show movies anymore (and when they do they are edited and cut for commercials... and 2 hour movies may be extended to 4 hours to make room for commercials).

When I first discovered the channel it was uncut and commercial-free - pretty much like TCM still is

Well I sure hope they keep Noir Alley, hosted by the "Czar of Noir", Eddie Muller!

I haven't had TCM in quite awhile, but I did think that they were getting a little too far afield, what with TCM wines and all that nonsense. I was a fan of Robert Osborne's, but I gradually got used to Ben Mankiewicz.

I pray that the channel continues to show old movies.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I remember when AMC had no commercials, and was more 60/70s, while TCM were older.

If they even stick a commercial into TCM movies, I'll drop cable immediately. That, and the local basketball team is all I watch, besides the occasional automatic DVR of people I like.

When I first got cable there was a channel called AMC (which stood for American Movie Classics).
I still have that channel, but they rarely even show movies anymore (and when they do they are edited and cut for commercials... and 2 hour movies may be extended to 4 hours to make room for commercials).

When I first discovered the channel it was uncut and commercial-free - pretty much like TCM still is

I haven't used "American Movie Channel" in a long time. Their biggest shows aren't even "American movies" -- the walking dead... and that meth selling show.

I remember when AMC had no commercials, and was more 60/70s, while TCM were older.

If they even stick a commercial into TCM movies, I'll drop cable immediately. That, and the local basketball team is all I watch, besides the occasional automatic DVR of people I like.

Commercials would be bad...but I'm more worried about the cataloger getting sold to Disney and the films getting butchered.

I see a naked lady...male gaze rape culture cut it.

Is that a black person as a servant not a manager....delete that scene.

Harry Potter was 20 years ago...let's call that a classic

We can make more money on tax rebates as loses remove all foreign films from the service...also jack up the price.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Commercials would be bad...but I'm more worried about the cataloger getting sold to Disney and the films getting butchered.

I see a naked lady...male gaze rape culture cut it.

Is that a black person as a servant not a manager....delete that scene.

Harry Potter was 20 years ago...let's call that a classic

We can make more money on tax rebates as loses remove all foreign films from the service...also jack up the price.

LMAO

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Wow, what a disaster. TCM is being revamped and some of its staff are being fired. How will we ever manage without the soothing voice of Dave Karger telling us about the behind-the-scenes drama of Gone with the Wind? How will we ever endure without the endless reruns of Casablanca and Citizen Kane? How will we ever appreciate cinema without the wisdom of TCM? I mean, who else can tell us what films are worth watching and what films are not? Surely not our own taste or opinion. No, we need TCM to lead us through the vast and bewildering landscape of film history. We need TCM to enlighten us and amuse us. We need TCM to protect us from ourselves. Without TCM, we are lost. Without TCM, we are doomed. Without TCM, we are nothing. Oh, the horror! And don’t get me started on Disney. They’re ruining everything with their political correctness and their diversity agenda. They’re censoring and sanitizing classic films to appease the woke mob. They’re destroying our childhood memories and our cultural heritage. They’re the real villains here. Down with Disney! Long live TCM!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

BKB
I work as Public Safety for Webster University and many nights when I'm doing my rounds I see TCM on their super screen TV in the Lobby showing many of the Classics and I love them..

TCM is probably the one channel I miss the most since closing out my Spectrum account. And I'll second the Noir Alley with Eddie Muller endorsement.

That was my situation. I realized that the only cable channel I was watching was TCM, although I'd watch an occasional college football game o ESPN in the Fall. When I realized I was paying $50+ just so I could watch TCM, I dropped cable altogether.

BTW, any of you who enjoy Eddie Miller's "Intros" and "Outros" on Noir Alley, many of them are posted on YouTube. So if you can find the noir that you want to see on YT, Internet Movie Archive, or from other sources, you can watch his Intro on YT, then watch the movie, then return to watch his Outro.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Technology has evolved passed TCM. Their programming is stagnant and narrow. The Criterion Channel and Kanopy are better options.

Five years ago I would have considered my post blasphemy.

I miss TCM already because I got rid of cable.

I liked being able to turn on the TV and something I would enjoy was already on.
Now I have to search and search and still nothing.
Someone will buy their catalog and monetize it.
Maybe Lord Bezos. Then it old films will be available at $3.99 a viewing.

If TCM does indeed change it's platform, of course there will still be access to old classic movies for those who seek them out...BUT the majority of TCM movie watchers won't know about Criterion channel and certainly won't know about other online movie sites...So if TCM is 'lost' for millions of fans it will dry up their access to old classic movies. That's a loss for all of us and moves us one step closer to homogenized franchised bubble gum crap movies as the main product being available.

If TCM does indeed change it's platform, of course there will still be access to old classic movies for those who seek them out...BUT the majority of TCM movie watchers won't know about Criterion channel and certainly won't know about other online movie sites...So if TCM is 'lost' for millions of fans it will dry up their access to old classic movies. That's a loss for all of us and moves us one step closer to homogenized franchised bubble gum crap movies as the main product being available.
Watch TCM's schedule for next week and tell me how amazing it is.

Watch TCM's schedule for next week and tell me how amazing it is.
I don't have cable, but I know some older people who watch TCM and they wouldn't know the first thing about streaming Criterion Channel. If TCM was gone, they wouldn't be watching classic movies.

Just like people use Windows because that's what came installed on their computers...they are familiar with it. Despite the fact that there are other OS choices, but those choices take more effort to seek out and use so they hardly get installed on computers by the average person. Of course overtime streaming will become the norm but for now a loss of TCM's lineup is a loss to a lot of people.

I don't have cable, but I know some older people who watch TCM and they wouldn't know the first thing about streaming Criterion Channel. If TCM was gone, they wouldn't be watching classic movies.
So you don't watch TCM and you know older people that do. You just stated why TCM will fail.

I miss TCM already because I got rid of cable.

I liked being able to turn on the TV and something I would enjoy was already on.
Now I have to search and search and still nothing.
Someone will buy their catalog and monetize it.
Maybe Lord Bezos. Then it old films will be available at $3.99 a viewing.
I was always hoping that TCM would be offered as a stand alone streaming service like Netflix or some others. But so far Warner Brothers must not see any value in that.

So in order to get TCM, one generally has to buy the premium cable subscription. I had to bail.

Don't work at TCM. Not worried.