Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

Eleventh Place:

The Saragossa Manuscript (1965)
Nominated By: Nemanja

58 Points
Tiebreaker Highest Place: 3rd

The three hours passed like lightning, so fast that I was startled when the word "THE END" appeared on the screen.
A surrealistic film about the impossibility of escape: No matter where you escape, you end up in the same situation - certainly as a reflection on the political situation in Poland at the time.
Points Awarded:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saragossa-Chart.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	46297  

Can you explain the graph?
Each bar represents how many points the nomination earned on each list. If it received only 1 point, the film was placed last. If it received 12 points, it placed first on that list.

Most people reveal their ranking at the end, but some people prefer not to, so I didn't add names to the chart.

Tenth Place:

Entre Nos (2009)
Nominated By: ScarletLion

58 Points
Tiebreaker Highest Place: 2nd

This is sincere film making. It's no wax job, it's straight up movie making that doesn't rely on fancy camera tricks or pseudo film editing.
This film caught me square on the jaw, and will probably stay with me for a while.
Points Awarded:
Attachments

Name:	Entre-Chart.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	46298  

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Very interesting distribution for Entre Nos, there's a lot at the top and at the bottom, and little in the middle. I had it at No.7

Ninth Place:

Benny's Video (1992)
Nominated By: Okay

61 Points

I find Haneke's films to be cold and distant, but fascinating in a voyeuristic way. I have enjoyed all of them to varying degrees and this was no exception.
The way the camera moves and stops in front of a TV, which is connected to another camera, that was pure brilliance, because it fits so well with the themes of the movie.

Points Awarded:

Attachments

Name:	Benny-Chart.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	46299  

Eighth Place:

The Leopard (1963)
Nominated By: Ultraviolence

65 Points

Part of that was the sets, costumes, and attention to detail, and part of it was the feeling of being there. I felt as though I could smell the Sicilian air.
The melancholy, the decay of the aristocracy, the acting, the sceneries, the camera movements, Visconti directing... A masterpiece.

Points Awarded:
Attachments

Name:	Leopard-Chart.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	46300  

Picking out a quote from me was probably a bigger chore than watching all the movies.
Coincidentally, the two quotes of yours I decided to use (other than one for your own nomination) ended up being placed next together.

In case anyone was wondering about the quotes, each film has a quote from the person who nominated it, as well as a quote from someone else that was either positive, well worded, or amusing to me in some way.