Any metal heads on this forum?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I don't think I will ever manage to care much about non-metal popular music. It's only slower, lighter, less complex, less powerful, played with less skill, etc. However I find some classical music to be superior in some ways but not other genres of popular music.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

A system of cells interlinked
And how that's relevant? The good stuff is all from the 1980's anyway. I don't listen to post 2000 stuff regularly and when it is new stuff is from the old masters.

For me Judas Priest perfected popular music between 1976 and 1978. After those years what all bands have to do is to learn these albums and play in the same way. Any wide deviation from the gold standard is sub-optimal.
Horse ****, mister. So, no more progress in the genre, ever? There is a whole boatload of amazing metal out there right now, and I would say metal is a genre that you can argue is progressing and changing more than most other genres of music. Keep on listening to Screaming for Vengeance, I will be over here, expanding my horizons.

Always.

It's just my taste. My favorite type of metal is the one that follows the most closely the pure heavy metal of Judas Priest from 1976 to 1978 (actually not the style of Screaming for Vengeance which I find inferior to their most classic stuff).

Stuff like this:
&list=PLBC8CCE4B30E18146

&list=PL9633E20026869858
&list=PL9633E20026869858&index=5

There are many metal bands who also agree and continue to play the same type of music set by the standards of Judas Priest (Iron Savior, Running Wild, Accept, Helloween, Gamma Ray, etc). The fans of black metal criticise these bands

Sendai, you should learn to respect tastes different from ours. Not everybody thinks that innovation for the sake of innovation is a good thing (specially in art, where 99.9% of all innovation leads to sh*t). According to my tastes, the best popular music ever made was made following the principles set by JP between 1976 and 1978. Maybe I will find something else that I like more but it hasn't happened yet.

I gave up on actually trying to listen to recent metal because I noticed that I enjoy listening to the old stuff again way more. Different people, different tastes. I hope that someday you will find a style of music that you like as much as I like classical heavy metal (that day you will understand me).

You are an utter fool.
Why such irrational aggression? I don't say you are a fool because you enjoy a different subgenre of metal than I do. Different people have different tastes.

I particularly like the pure heavy metal style of Judas Priest in their classical period and early developments such as speed metal, early thrash metal and early power metal (notice that the first Helloween and Slayer albums sound almost the same!).

Early Helloween:

Early Slayer:

After some time the bands diverged greatly:

Helloween:
&list=PL70EABC6608C07B3D
Slayer:
&list=PL4D14DF7FF2ADD375

The quality of metal in it's peak popularity around 1985 hasn't been ever matched, for me. The deviations that happened were usually for the worse. Helloween's 1993 album is even actual metal while Slayer ceased doing metal from 1994 through 2006.

Today classical heavy metal lives on mostly in Melodic Death Metal and Power Metal. Death and Black Metal diverged to such a great extent that some of the stuff made today barely qualifies as metal (there are some albums that don't even use guitars).

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I was a "metal head" when I first started high school, and I've started revisiting it recently. I'm not much of a metal head now, I only really listen to Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Judas Priest and, on occasion, some early Slipknot. I've tried getting into some others, like Pantera and In Flames, but I can't get into them.

I also have a large, guilt-free affection for hair metal. There's some undeniable fun to be found in the music of Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Motley Crue and the like.

DT Set:

The Science of Noise
White Noise/Black Silence
Monochromatic Stains
Lost to Apathy
The Fatalist
The Silence In Between
Zero Distance
The Mundane and the Magic
Punish my Heaven
The Wonders at Your Feet
What Only You Know
Iridium
Terminus
There In
State of Trust
Final Resistance

Encore
Lethe
Endtime Hearts
Misery's Crown

OG Set:

Luoto
New Dynamic
New World Shadows
The Sonic Sign
Soul Journeys
Living in Me
The Unknowing
Nail
Deep Cold

Sendai, you should learn to respect tastes different from ours. Not everybody thinks that innovation for the sake of innovation is a good thing (specially in art, where 99.9% of all innovation leads to sh*t). According to my tastes, the best popular music ever made was made following the principles set by JP between 1976 and 1978. Maybe I will find something else that I like more but it hasn't happened yet.

I gave up on actually trying to listen to recent metal because I noticed that I enjoy listening to the old stuff again way more. Different people, different tastes. I hope that someday you will find a style of music that you like as much as I like classical heavy metal (that day you will understand me).

First off, it's SEDAI. SAID-eye.

OK Guap - I hear ya. However, once again you take this stance when talking as if you have achieved some superior position or knowledge, and poor little Sedai has to catch up in some way - once again in matters of subjective taste. My contention was that the genre is still progressing - less subjective, to be sure (but still fairly subjective).

Can you talk to people without trying to make them feel small? Serious question. I mean, I play multiple instruments, taught guitar and music theory in general for years throughout the 90s and 2000s, and I respect and listen to pretty much all genres of music. Not only do I respect the bands you listed, I have seen many of them live, including Judas Priest. I never criticized those bands. However, I was listening to them in 1981...and I tend to believe in progress. I don't think those bands broke the mold, and if they did, and that is all metal has to offer, the genre is a complete failure. We both know that isn't true, right?

My previous comment admittedly could have been worded a little better/nicer, so allow me to apologize for being rude. Sorry man! I will try to explain things in more clearly in the future.

But saying stuff like "I hope you someday find music you like etc etc so you will understand" sounds REALLY condescending, as if I am some musical neophyte that just heard music for the first time, when in fact, I was listening to the bands you love at live shows before you were even born.

I understand you know your ****, and you are obviously intelligent, but try to realize other people ALSO know their ****. I actually think we are a lot a like in some ways, which is probably why we have trouble communicating here and there. I know I can be a dick sometimes, too...

Rock on, man! \M/ \M/

Sorry for that post. I am a bit hyperbolic in this forum. It's sort of a character that I play (ed). From now on I will be more serious about what I post.

Speaking seriously I would say that I like classical heavy metal more than other subgenres of metal but I actually like albums from bands over all the spectrum. Just the number of albums that I like tends to cluster more around the classical style (and it's closely related speed/power/thrash).

Interesting that you understand music that deeply. I didn't know that. Sorry for my lack of politeness and sensitivity.