A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Skinamarink

https://boxd.it/3JwG6D

Somehow, one of those obscure avant garde horror flicks, that might be nothing except something for Crumbsroom to ruminate about and convince us may be brilliant, found its way to the local Cineplex.

3/5

Might go down. Might go up. Who knows?

Skinamarink

https://boxd.it/3JwG6D

Somehow, one of those obscure avant garde horror flicks, that might be nothing except something for Crumbsroom to ruminate about and convince us may be brilliant, found its way to the local Cineplex.

3/5

Might go down. Might go up. Who knows?

Oh man, I am on board that one

It's actually playing in my city, but I don't think it's the kind of thing I'd be wise to drag my gf to.
How do you know if it's love if she won't sit through it for you?

Sick. College kids quarantining at a cabin in the woods are stalked by a knife-wielding maniac. This isn’t the first horror to take advantage of the pandemic and certainly won’t be the last, it has its absurdities and moments of people doing dumb things but is otherwise very good. I liked the characters well enough but where it excelled at is it’s use of space, framing and camera movements to follow the action and tell the story visually. And it kinda has Scream vibes, though not as humorous.

Sick. College kids quarantining at a cabin in the woods are stalked by a knife-wielding maniac. This isn’t the first horror to take advantage of the pandemic and certainly won’t be the last, it has its absurdities and moments of people doing dumb things but is otherwise very good. I liked the characters well enough but where it excelled at is it’s use of space, framing and camera movements to follow the action and tell the story visually. And it kinda has Scream vibes, though not as humorous.
Hyams directs the hell out of the thriller action. Williamson's best script since the '90s.

How do you know if it's love if she won't sit through it for you?

She watched the trailer and said it looks like a movie version of my Instagram account. And somehow this has made her willing to go.

I think the selling point is that I've told her it's okay if she hates it and falls asleep in the theatre in the middle of it. That I won't hold it against her. And I'm sure that would be an incredible relief to anyone.

Homework for any this applies to, given my recent viewings:

See El Fantasma del Convento

See Incubus (1966)

Come prepared to discuss!

The 1933-ish, Mexican horror movie?

Homework for any this applies to, given my recent viewings:

See El Fantasma del Convento

See Incubus (1966)

Come prepared to discuss!

I've seen Convento

Still rubbing my chin over Incubus.

She watched the trailer and said it looks like a movie version of my Instagram account. And somehow this has made her willing to go.

I think the selling point is that I've told her it's okay if she hates it and falls asleep in the theatre in the middle of it. That I won't hold it against her. And I'm sure that would be an incredible relief to anyone.
I had a similar deal with my wife. However, she had a work thing come up and I thankfully got to watch it by myself. She would’ve either fallen asleep, hated it, or hated it and fell asleep.

Keep me posted.

The Sender, 1982 (B+)

Cool little movie, a bit light on the horror, but it's there.

The story revolves a guy who unintentionally projects dreams and visions onto other people. Neat imagery all around, and an awesome therapy scene.

GRADUATION DAY (1981)

Vanna White (r) would like to buy an EEEEEEEEEEE!

The "Captain Terror Tries to Like Slasher Films" project continues.
Can't remember who recommended this one, it's only been logged by one Letterboxd friend.

So the plot of this one is that the members of a high school track team are being murdered one by one.
While I wouldn't call this a "good" film, I did enjoy it quite a bit. There's a couple of great montages here. The opening credits is a slo-mo montage of high school athletic events that ends in tragedy. And towards the end of the film there's a great bit where scenes of a murder are interspersed with footage of a cheesy rock band (FELONY!) playing at a packed roller rink. Kudos to the editor for both of these segments.

There's a couple of murders that are original enough to be noteworthy, especially the one that involves pole-vaulting. The physics of the football-related murder are a little shaky, and it's almost as silly as the Trombone murder from Town That Dreaded Sundown, but if you don't think too hard about these things it's fine.

The unavoidable perv factor is here, of course. I wouldn't say this film is an especially egregious offender, but it's definitely not above the standard perviness of the subgenre. I was a little bit confused early on, when a murder victim is shown lying face down in a field and the camera decides to linger on a closeup of her butt (?). Like, what am I looking at, camera guy? Is this a clue to the killer's identity that I'm missing? Also Linnea Quigley earns a passing grade from her teacher by engaging in some extracurriculars if you know what I'm sayin'. So...yeah.

It must be said that this falls squarely into the early-80s vibe that is much more my comfort zone than the later stuff, so I'm probably being more generous as a result. (An easy way to make me like your film is to have a teen girl with Frazzetta posters on her wall.) I can't predict what those of us who are concerned with "plot" and "characters" will think of it, but I thought it was fun. I'd say it's on a Final Exam-level of enjoyability.

I'm going with 3-1/2 out of 5. (It's streaming on many free-with-ads apps.)
Anybody else seen it?

Graduation Day is one of the few from that period I haven't seen. I rented it in highschool but it ended up in the 'returned before watched' pile and I've never attempted again

Victim of The Night
GRADUATION DAY (1981)

Vanna White (r) would like to buy an EEEEEEEEEEE!

The "Captain Terror Tries to Like Slasher Films" project continues.
...(An easy way to make me like your film is to have a teen girl with Frazzetta posters on her wall.)
Yup.

Graduation Day is one of the few from that period I haven't seen. I rented it in highschool but it ended up in the 'returned before watched' pile and I've never attempted again
You've seen worse. And better.