Rififi

→ in
Tools    

Murderous Whirlwind of Wit
Rififi (1955) - Jules Dassin

This was my first encounter with Mr. Dassin's work. I must say that this is a truly underrated film that by far. This is an incredible and important piece in cinematic history for its technical achievement and its obvious inspirational effect on today's great filmmakers alike.

The film itself attained the utmost perfection in all aspects of production. The writing first off was smooth and carried your interest directly to the climactic ending. And with great writing comes actors, Dassin did a great job in choosing such a diverse group of talent. The cinematography was outstanding and was blended nicely with the brilliant editing. There was never a dull moment in the film, a characteristic that a majority of French films had prior to the Nouvelle Vague.

Technically, the film was suberb. Dassin has a great eye for visuall stroytelling along with attaining the best shots to establish the mood also coinciding with the plot itself. His subtle dolly moves increase the intensity of each scene, which is enhanced by the outstanding performances. He is smart in his framing and shot choice. A lot of directors of the past weren't as successful with the best shot to improve narrative beats or simple storytelling tactics. Dassin is a very talented individual who understood the importance of linking story to the framing.

Another key element of the film that was even more impressive was the editing. More like one of today's new developed styles of massive coverage and the infamous "MTV" style cutting, "Rififi" also used the method to its advantage. There were some intense scenes and the quick cutting from reaction shot, to an insert to a wide... constantly building the tension, was a great choice for Dassin , creating some very powerful scenes.

The camera itself was always plotted in the best position at all times in the film. There was an intense amount of coverage, unlike many of the films of that specific decade, yet it was the best choice for the film. Framing wise, Dassin was smooth all the way through. There were no problems with lighting continuity, a definite challenge back then. The movement of the camera was smooth without any poor choices of pushes or pulls.

It is also great to see how inspiring these films inspire today's director's, specifically Tarantino. There even might be a slight correlation to the 1960's "Ocean's Eleven" or even Soderbergh's (2000) rendition.

*Note: If you are considering watching "Rififi", be sure to obtain the newly released Criterion Collection edition on DVD. I know, it goes without saying, but be warned, the vintage VHS copy that I screened has some outlandish transfer problems. So go DVD.

I must say that Dassin definitely inspired me. He is a truly gifted filmmaker. Also, he is actually American. And then he was later blacklisted and moved to France where his filmmaking capbabilities only heightended. I do indeed hope that some of you do take the time to pick up this "flawed" masterpiece. It is a very well executed film and deserves its newly attained credit.

*I must say that I feel I am not giving Dassin's cinematic success justice, with this minute and brief review of "Rififi".

I urge you all to please donate your feedback, for your words and insight are ever grateful.

peace!

Radio Raheem

"Don't believe the HYPE!"

A system of cells interlinked
Very slick review. I will keep an eye out for this one, as I love fillm noir. Keep up the good work!