Comparing Todays and Yesterdays

Tools    

I wipe my ass with your feelings
I was watching The Sting today and mid-way through the movie I got the impression that Robert Redford, who plays Hooker, is somewhat comparable to Brad Pitt. First it was the personality that hit me, and that's what I want this thread to be about. Not looks, but acting ability/credibility.

This and Spy Game are the only two movies I've seen with Redford in it. Surpsingly enough, Pitt was in Spy Game as well and I could see Redford playing his role when he was at that youth. In fact I could see him playing that roll in Ocean's Eleven as well. Fight Club would be something else, but I could imagine him pulling it off in Snatch and even Meet Joe Black

This being my first Paul Newman movie, I could also compare him to a George Clooney as well. There's something about the lead roll that Newman plays that ties in so well with Clooney's other movies such as Ocean's 11, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, and O Brother, Where ArtThou? (Wow! I barely remember this movie at all).

Anyways, this is just an example from The Sting

Now think of many of the older movies you've come across and try placing some of today's characters in with them. Do you think it would be a logical fit?

I believe Christian Bale would have played a fine Norman Bates in Pyscho

I'm a bit edgy as to saying that Bruce Willis would have played a great juror # 8 in 12 Angry Men
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

Tom Hanks has been compared to Jimmy Stewart.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Tom Hanks' son is even closer to Jimmy Stewart.

It's not such a coincidence, the Redford/Pitt thing. Redford introduced Pitt as his heir-to-the-throne in A River Runs Through It.

I'd say Scarlett Johanssen is the new Grace Kelly.

Godsend, you need to watch "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and "Cool Hand Luke".

Russell Crowe could be compared to Robert Mitchum.

Jim Carrey and Jerry Lewis could have played similar roles.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Ford
Jim Carrey and Jerry Lewis could have played similar roles.
Ay, good spot. They're rubber-faced peas-in-a-pod in many ways. I wonder if Carrey will become a legend in France?

Don Knott's movie "The Love God" could be comparable to Rob Schneider's "Deuce Bigelow: Male Gigolo".

Originally Posted by Godsend
I was watching The Sting today and mid-way through the movie I got the impression that Robert Redford, who plays Hooker, is somewhat comparable to Brad Pitt. First it was the personality that hit me, and that's what I want this thread to be about. Not looks, but acting ability/credibility.
Actually, I saw that movie for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I thought the exact same thing.

I have to give this topic some thought. An interesting thread God boy

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Zeiken
Well somebody wake me up when we find a new Alain Delon.
wake up, i'm here!

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I'd say Scarlett Johanssen is the new Grace Kelly.
I'd say Gwyneth Paltrow is somewhere between Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn.

Speaking of Paltrow, she is one American actress who is completely credible with a British accent IMO. Seeing Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta reminded me of that.

I don't know if we can include directors, but i think M. Night Shyamalan's work is a lot like Steven Spielberg's.

keira knightly.....the new Winona Ryder?!?!? more look wise though, rather than screen presence

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Zeiken
Well somebody wake me up when we find a new Alain Delon.

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
wake up, i'm here!

You wish green boy.

Originally Posted by Godsend
This being my first Paul Newman movie, I could also compare him to a George Clooney as well. There's something about the lead roll that Newman plays that ties in so well with Clooney's other movies such as Ocean's 11, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, and O Brother, Where ArtThou? (Wow! I barely remember this movie at all).
I think George Clooney is more comparable to Cary Grant.

stranger then a drunken mime
I kinda think Mila Kunis looks like Vivien Leigh even though this is kinda off topic.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Hmm. I thought of Clooney as mork like Clark Gable, but you might have something there...How about Daniel Craig as Steve McQueen?

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Loner
You wish green boy.
i do more than that...
where did you get that pic of me?

As far as physical resemblance, Hugh Jackman could pass for a young Clint Eastwood. But he smiles way too much.