Harry Potter and the Gays of Azkaban

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Charismasloverno5
Yeah, I posted a reply on another topic, can't remember which one mind you.

To sum up, I like charisma carpenter.
Funny, I couldn't remember which thread I asked you in either..

I tend to like Anya as a character more, but CC is mad hot. A friend of mine is quite obsessed with her...

I see your point about characters, Anya is more sarcastic and fun, whereas Cordy can be just there to get captured and rescued.

Mind you they are both lookers.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
We shall see, but don't lose any sleep over the matter, eh, lol
Oh I won't and I'm not trying to convince people of it, afterall films (like all art) are never absolute in their interpretation, but to discredit the observations as something out of nothing is something I do have to defend.

You could be considered as being sad for creating such a big statement about a fact that may or may not be true.

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that I could care less whether or not people think I'm sad for having an opinon.

We all have opinions, but it's just that you have taken yours so seriously on this matter.

True, I have taken my opinion seriously, but just because it's about Harry Potter doesn't mean that it doesn't have any solidarity to it. I too can simply enjoy the hell out of movies without thinking about them with any depth. Hell, my favorite movies of all time are Cabin Fever and Starship Troopers! Harry Potter movies may be fun filled adventures coated in the richest of imaginations, but that isn't to say they're devoid of any substance.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Originally Posted by OG-
. So just because a relationship doesn't exist in the book, doesn't mean it can't exist in the movie.
Actually thats exactly what it means, in the harry potter series the directors can't make up a relationship if it's not in the book otherwise it would be a harry potter film. i think you went digging for homosexual references when there were none

It's like, if someone made a Harry Potter movie and changed harry's name or something, they can't do that, so you making up possible gay relations in a kids movie

i think you went digging for homosexual references when there were none
Yah. Yesterday I was thinking to myself, "Ya know what, I have absolutely nothing to do for the next two hours so I'm gonna go watch Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and scour it for homosexuality!"

in the harry potter series the directors can't make up a relationship if it's not in the book otherwise it would be a harry potter film.
Despite the construction of that sentence, I'm pretty sure I know what you're getting at. I don't understand why there is this thinking that directors are bound by law to create some word for word cinematic vision of a book. Yes J.K. Rowling has the clout to say "No, Ron and Herminoe can't make out in this scene", but she works with the directors on their visions. If they were intended to be exact duplicates of the book, don't ya think J.K Rowling would of directed them herself?

Here is how the creatve process works: A director says "this is what I'm thinking." The producers say either, "I like it" or "not gonna happen." If J.K. Rowling doesn't want it in the film, it doesn't go in. Likewise, if it's in the film, she approved of it's being in there.

I think HP and TPOA was written in 1999 when gay rights and discrimination wasn't as big an issue as it was in this election and is today. Yes, I know the author lives in England and I have no idea what England's stance on gay rights is but I have never really heard that much from about it from accross the pond. So that leads me to believe the author or director (who I think was spanish?) making a comment about gay rights is rather unlikely. Gay rights to me seems to be a big issue in the US and not as big everywhere else.

But yes, as far as Lupin goes the movie follows the book close enough so I think it all follows make to Rowling. And from what I said above I think the gay Lupin metaphor is maybe stretching it a tad.

Posted by OG-
why there is this thinking that directors are bound by law to create some word for word cinematic vision of a book.
I see where your getting at, as Peter Jackson didn't stick to everything in the book, such as in the book, Faramir doesn't go after the ring. It was just added. However it's unlikely that homosexuality has been added to a kids movie in one form or another.

However it's unlikely that homosexuality has been added to a kids movie in one form or another.
That is, which I pointed out in my first post, what I find most admirable about it.

I think HP and TPOA was written in 1999 when gay rights and discrimination wasn't as big an issue as it was in this election and is today.
The movie was made in 2003 though. For the last time, though they share the same subject matter, the books and the films need to be seperated. But enough about that.

Take a look at the film Alfonso Cuaron had made prior to Prisoner of Azkaban, Y tu Mamá También may have had heavy heterosexual relationships in it, but it was also a commentary on repressed homosexuality, homophobia and the insecurities that heterosexual men face. Not only that, but Prisoner of Azkaban is the darkest Harry Potter film yet. It deals heavily with death, being outcasted, murders, rage and even execution. Given all that, I wouldn't put the inclusion of such issues in TPOA past Cuaron.

I'm not trying to say the latest Harry Potter film preaches homosexuality. I don't think that at all. If you look at the speech given at the end of the film, it really is simply about discrimination and having to cope with hiding your true self out of the fear that people will judge you. And kids can pick up that. They can surely see it and say "Professor Lupin shouldn't have to leave just because he's a werewolf, he's a great guy and he saved Harry!!" They probably wont put two and two together and transfer that same notion to homosexuality (and I may be stretching my position, as I stated in my first post), but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

The movie was made in 2003 though. For the last time, though they share the same subject matter, the books and the films need to be seperated. But enough about that.
Trust me I get the whole seperation of movies and books thing. BUT it is a movie based on the book so the comment is relevant especially twoards the idea the Rowling wrote it meaning to be a homosexual discrimination thing. And like I said the movie follows the book pretty closely regarding Lupin so the director it would seem didnt have a lot to do with making the metaphor of Lupin being discriminated since he is gay.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Originally Posted by OG-
Here is how the creatve process works: A director says "this is what I'm thinking."
i sincerely doubt that Alfonso was thinking 'hey let's put some homosexual refernces in there even though there are actually none in the book'

I would like to point out the fact that I have a serious problem spelling TOWARDS, when I type quickly I always put the W infront of the O. I know it is off subject but I wanted to point out my inept speeling abilities.

I had to come back and add this little edit because I was afraid people might not get the joke in spelling, speeling wrong. It is not that I don't have faith in you MoFo's I just wanted to take the guess work out of it.

and now OG- has changed his opinion saying that he didn't say there was any gay references in the movie, even though he made a topic about it!

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
I see where your getting at, as Peter Jackson didn't stick to everything in the book, such as in the book, Faramir doesn't go after the ring. It was just added. However it's unlikely that homosexuality has been added to a kids movie in one form or another.
Faramir thinks about it though. He says," And here in the wild I have you: two haflings, and a host of evil men at my call, and the Ring of Rings. A pretty stroke of fortune! A chance for Faramir to show his quality! "
I thought Jackson did a good job showing Faramir's struggle with wanting the ring. The fact that he later takes Sam and Frodo captive, was the addition you speak of. He does "go after" the ring, though.

and now OG- has changed his opinion saying that he didn't say there was any gay references in the movie, even though he made a topic about it!

He did? In which post?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)