Official Leonardo DiCaprio Thread

Tools    

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd call De Niro a 'natural' actor in the same tradition as Marlon Brando, James Dean and Montgomery Clift, or younger actors like Joseph Gordon-Levitt/Ryan Gosling. Sure, he's a method actor--and a GREAT one at that, but I see his performances as often, NOT ALWAYS, but often, superficial portrayals. Still, Travis Bickle IS a completely natural, realistic performance; I think it's one of the best performances in history.

And Denzel? I think he's one of the last great actors I'd file under 'realistic' or 'natural.' He's undoubtedly awesome, but EVERY one of his performances, from Glory to Training Day, is filled with gravitas and histrionics. It's as if he's always aware of the presence of the camera. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, he's extremely photogenic and steals every scene he's in. But his performances are anything but 'natural.'

To be clear, though, I think many of DiCaprio's performances have been pretty superficial as well; it's easy to classify his work in The Departed, for example, as over the top. Throughout the movie, his brooding disposition, the constipated look on his face, etc.. get pretty tired. But imagine the double-life he's leading and how hard it would be to fear exposure at any moment, especially in the presence of a madman like Nicholson's Costello. Look at the fear and tiredness in his eyes. I think THAT's built from the inside. And he does look too boyish to be a serious gangster. But I think that's actually the most important part of his character-he's young, vulnerable, intelligent enough to know how deep in sh*t he's in, and paranoid. He's supposed to be out of his element with Costello's crew.

I don't know, just some thoughts. For the record, though, I can totally see how many just can't mention his name in the same sentence as De Niro.
Terrific post, and I definately agree about Training Day, but I usually tend to not notice any histrionics or granstanding in performances such as Philadelphia, Malcolm X or Glory, and Cry Freedom, they all feel authentic in their portrayal, by this I mean every line delivery, emotional response and reaction seems to be effortless and also in corresponding to the character's intention. Definately agree with Training Day. Glory in particular, the camp fire scene, is where he finally opens up after being so resistant and angry, hes grown to love his friends and soldiers, and finds it difficult to express himself, but eventually does. I definately think Denzel is an actor that works form the inside out

Leo is one of the last true actors left that leave me baffled

Leo is one of the last true actors left that leave me baffled
In a good way? I'm not sure I understand what this means.

Shutter Island is one of his best performances. I'm having trouble recalling my reaction to his other films since I've seen them so long ago, but Shutter Island definitely left an impression. He's basically forced to go through about sixty emotional states in a single scene and he handles it wonderfully.

Shutter Island is one of his best performances. I'm having trouble recalling my reaction to his other films since I've seen them so long ago, but Shutter Island definitely left an impression. He's basically forced to go through about sixty emotional states in a single scene and he handles it wonderfully.
YES!! He goes through emotional aerobics basically from beginning to end. And he's actually giving two performances at once, notice subtle changes in his behavior whenever he seems close to grasping reality. His mind rejects it and goes back to his Teddy Daniels fantasy. And that Lake Scene at the end!??!

This is his best performance and the best of the year so far. I'm not just saying that because I'm biased, though I am, but because I've seen most of the movies being buzzed about for the acting, and nothing has come close. He will get nominated for an Oscar, and he should win. But he probably won't.

I haven't seen a lot of films that have come out this year (only Inception and Shutter Island), but so far DiCaprio takes the cake.

SI has him playing, like you said, two men. A man trying to be a normal version of his past self, all the while constantly being bathed within the environment of his present self. Things disturb him constantly in SI. He's very conscious of all the little clues around him, but perplexed to their meaning. This is his madness, his confusion at the clues around him. His madness IS the mystery he is trying to solve, and eventually, when his madness solves it for him [via Lighthouse], this uncertainly disappears. He's confident, sure of himself and brutal. All this makes the big reveal so tough for us and him. I've heard this scene criticized as being "obvious" and "didactic", especially with Kingsley's character pulling out an easel, but I think it's brilliant because of DiCaprio. There's this amazing balance he has to maintain between belief that he's being gaslighted and disbelief in his entire reality, with the balance skewed far towards the former and only occasionally breaking into the latter. DiCaprio is definitely one of THE singular actors of this current generation. I agree that he's underrated.

True. It sucks that he still hasn't recieved an Oscar..

Have any of you'll seen What's eating Gilbert Grape??.. he was just beyond awesome.
But for me I absolutely loved him in Catch Me If You Can.

The Aviator and Revolutionary Road are great performances by DiCaprio, particularly Revolutionary Road. Haven't seen Shutter Island, on my list to see.

hey buddy thanx for posting this thread its really so informative about him....He is my favorite actor,recently I have seen Inception and this fabulous...In this thread I have seen lots of other movie pics...helpful post....keep it up buddy...

Leo is definitely a top contemporary Actor in the same class with Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, and Russell Crowe. He has improved his talent from his young age to now where he is polishing his career.

Wonderful thread for the people who loves Leo ! Have anyone seen Leonardo's new movie Inception?Well i had watched it, it s a really amazing movie by Christopher Nolan and i really like Leo in the movie.

Have any of you'll seen What's eating Gilbert Grape??.. he was just beyond awesome.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape is an awesome film... it's in my top 100...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

It's alright. Nothing to write home about.

That's just what I think though.

I want him to take a villain role. he's had movies in the gray area of good and bad or fulfilled the anti-hero archetype but no true villain...