Music in Film

Tools    

Star Wars
Gladiator
All of the LOTR
Donnie Darko (Mad World is an awesome song)
Basically anything by Danny Elfman which includes Spider Man, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Beetlejuice

Originally Posted by VampireJesus
Donnie Darko (Mad World is an awesome song)
I agree, but this is a thread about 'scores', not songs. I like your other choices, and DD has a cool score as well.

Welcome to the forums.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Marry me Caity!

I didn't like The Last of the Mohicans, sorry. And because I didn't like it, I've forgotten nearly everything about it...including the music.

Wha…. The Last of the Mohicans is my all time favorite movie… and the soundtrack even won an Oscar…. Seriously though, I can understand how someone would not like the movie but you should really give the soundtrack another listen… it is amazing…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

It's your favorite movie of all time?

Okay, I'll watch it again. Tastes have a way of changing and I haven't seen it sinse its first release to video.

If you love it, it must be good.

The end song in Battle Royale by Dragon Ash is the first song that I actually downloaded after watching a film-it was that moving.

Oh, yeah, definately, yeah.
Originally Posted by Marcellus
Eyes Wide Shut
Im sure you were paying attention to the music .

The Matrix
Memento
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Braveheart

My personal favorite movie music composer is John Williams.

That man is a musical genious

I love the score in Braveheart, Last of the Mohicans, and the LOTr trilogy.... oh yeah, and the film Singles

for me it's still the soundtrack for Transformers the Movie -- nothing beats good 'ol feel good 80's rock

all of the wes anderson films have a great soundtrack and original scores by mark motherbaugh from devo.
also garden state has a great soundtrack,god damnit zack braff!

I was glad to see that someone mentioned Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2. I think it would be fair to say that any Quentin Tarantino movie has excellent music throughout really. The mans ear for music matches his eye for picking talent when making his movies.

Also again Shaun of the Dead has excellent music throughout. I mean QUEEN - Don't Stop Me Now playing in the background as the barman is being battered by three pool cues is pure genius.

Again loads of other greats but you guys have picked those already.

Gary Jules's song madworld is perfect for Donnie Darko

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by Mystery Man
Great theme songs and movies with the best musical scores and sound tracks:

I recently saw Ghost World and fell in love with the song that played in the opening of the movie. The song is by Mohammed Rafi and is called Jaan Pehechaan Ho. I also love the sound tracks and scores from Memento and Requiem for a Dream.
The DTS soundtrack that comes with the 3 disc SE of Memento is amazing
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Not the most original, but I still feel that the soundtracks from Forrest Gump and Resevoir Dogs were emotive of everything those movies were meant to get across to the audience.

Great theme songs and movies with the best musical scores and sound tracks:

I recently saw Ghost World and fell in love with the song that played in the opening of the movie. The song is by Mohammed Rafi and is called Jaan Pehechaan Ho. I also love the sound tracks and scores from Memento and Requiem for a Dream.

Definately any Tarantino film. I particularly liked from Kill Bill (VOL. 1 &2) was annoyingly catchy 'whistling' song and the 5,6,7,8's.

Originally Posted by RadeTagean
I was glad to see that someone mentioned Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2. I think it would be fair to say that any Quentin Tarantino movie has excellent music throughout really. The mans ear for music matches his eye for picking talent when making his movies.

Also again Shaun of the Dead has excellent music throughout. I mean QUEEN - Don't Stop Me Now playing in the background as the barman is being battered by three pool cues is pure genius.

Again loads of other greats but you guys have picked those already.

YYZ
A fRAIL sYrup wa DriPPing OF HeR...
I'm sure you're thinking of the music of Gyorgy Ligeti. Superb stuff. Ligeti was also used in The Shining, and 2001.

I'll accept anything Kubrick. The man really knew what he was doing with music in his films.
I was going to say that there were a handfull of kubrick films mentioned.
The shining not only had some great music, but the way the music was handeled, the tension driving up and exploting when nothig happens.. such great movie

Trantino is also a great musical director, kill bill might be one of my favourite scores ever, the way he pleased western vibes in japan's winter, that kill's me. Pulp Fiction is also a treat.

I've just finisheed watching, Antonioni's Blow Up. Any idea why there's isn't nearly any music in that film?

I have been looking for the titles of the songs that Lestat plays on the piano in Interview. The scenes are (1) when Claudia talks to him and and he says "You irritate me, your very presense irritates me" (great line), and (2) when he revives and just kind of appears sitting at the piano. I have searched for these song titles for months now, with nothing except that number 2 might be moonlight sonata......... please someone help me.[/

Originally Posted by adidasss
amelie and goodbye lenin have similar exelent piano themes...
I love the music in Amélie, but I feel that way for all of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films. Good stuff. I don't remember the score for Goodbye Lenin at all though.

I also love all things Kubrick, including the scores, but I think my favorite is the score for Eyes Wide Shut. It's just beautiful.

Just about anything John Williams creates is bound to be good, though unfortunately Spielberg often saturates his films with it making it a bit much.

I also agree with the reference for Donnie Darko, but it doesn’t stop with Mad World. The entire score is amazingly simple and direct, but it creates an atmosphere that is anything but.

I find that sometimes I wind up appreciating a films lack of score too.

- Forrest Gump
- Twin Peaks (Angelo Badalamenti. Made alot of great stuff during his cooperation with David Lynch).
- Fight Club
- Taxi Driver (Composer: Bernard Herrman. The music fits perfectly to the movie).
- Jackie Brown