Joker Vs. Joker

Tools    

theres probably another thread already talking about this subject but all i want to know is what people think about the two jokers Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger. Who you think played it best, who was portrayed more how the comics made the joker look, who appearance wise made the best joker and who cracked the best jokes. Honestly i think the joker should have been a character more like the one Jack Nicholson played, with more jokes and was a little more humorous than psycopathic, even though thats an important attribute. But i do believe that Heath played the part a thousand times better. whaddya think??

I think Heath showed us what a real actor does with a character...he becomes it...not the other way around! All I saw in the original was Jack Nicholson...all I saw in the new one was the Joker!

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i so agree with count demoney on this one... my hubby asked me how was heath ledger in it. i said it was not ledger playing a role and you so don't reconize him until a certain scene. (which i am not giving away) to me, he WAS the joker come to real life. every piece of his potrayal was unique from his voice to the walk...it wasnt heath ledger playing the joker...as i said, he made you belive in the joker!!!!!

J.N. was good, H.L. defined it.

J.K. was good, H.L. defined it.

Nuff freakin' said. Ledger's portrayal was truly iconic whereas Jack Nicholson's was just memorable.

"Oh yeah? Well I played him with a mustache!"
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

reservoir dogs circa 1881
both brilliant great performances to suit the era they were concieved in nuff said!

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
I believe Heath Ledger was given a lot of leeway to improvise his performance. A key scene for me is when the Joker walks into the party looking for Harvey Dent, plucks a flower from a vase, and eats it. That felt totally spur of the moment, an actor completely under the spell of his character. Marvellous!

from the interviews ive seen it looks like both actors were allowed a little artistic interpretation when it came to character development although id expect ledger had slightly more slack as it was less derivative of the comics

Never Rub Another Mans Rhubarb.
Nicholson PLAYED the Joker, Ledger WAS the Joker. I think that, for me, The Joker was Ledgers crowning performance and he really became what the character needed to be. Nicholson was a crazy, camp antagonist, and he played it really well, but Ledger was an insanely dark villain and thats what made the movie for me.

i expected little of ledgers joker as i loved nicolsons version it made batman for me and once again he is the films keystone i still like both.Reminds me of leo getz quote from weapon 4 "not better,just different"

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I believe Heath Ledger was given a lot of leeway to improvise his performance. A key scene for me is when the Joker walks into the party looking for Harvey Dent, plucks a flower from a vase, and eats it. That felt totally spur of the moment, an actor completely under the spell of his character. Marvellous!
Looked like meat on a stick to me.

Suspect's Reviews

Ledger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I do like Ceser Romero, I like it when actors can just have fun with a role.

but for all time favorite Joker.....

Mark Hamill

Remember I was born in 1993, but BATMAN was cancelled in 1995, but I caught a lot of re-runs, and nothing, NOTHING, scared me more than that laugh. Mark Hamill nailed that Joker laugh and voice perfectly, even hearing it today whilst watching the DVDs sends shivers down my spine.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Jack Nicholson was very good at the original Joker, but in my opinion Heath Ledger owned the role! He was amazing as the Joker, it is a real shame what happened to him but my choice doesnt come from the devastating news of his death it is purely on performance. He looked so crazy and acted insane, had the role of a psycho down to a tea.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im worrid that if they bring the Joker Charector back with another actor there is a HUGE chance to no chance someone will fill the Ledgers shoes.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The 1989 version of Batman was a black comedy, with Nicholson playing it so.

Heath Ledger was suppose to be more serious and creepy.

I found his character to be underdeveloped and unimpressive.

I also can't get past that he looks less like The Joker and more like Robert Smith.

If you want to see the character Bob Kane and Jerry Robinson based The Joker on, watch The Man Who Laughs.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019130/