Ghostbusters II

→ in
Tools    

Any here who like this movie and consider it underrated? It's always been among my favorite sequels and I'll always love both movies to death. I can understand people finding the original to be better, but the sequel I think is definitely unfairly maligned and hated on and deserves a lot more respect. I always enjoy the Hell out of this every time I see it and I find it has the same great balance of laughs and scares as the original, the main cast are all back and still have great chemistry, Vigo was a scary villain and I always felt the mood slime storyline was very creative. And throw in a lot of awesome scenes it has like the river of slime, the courtroom scene with the Scoleri Brothers and the walking Statue Of Liberty, it's hard for me not to enjoy this. I always watch both movies together because to me they feel so incomplete if one is watched on it's own.

Both movies are among my all-time favorites and I always hate seeing the second one get bashed on, which happens a LOT from what I've seen. Granted I grew up with both movies and definitely have a strong nostalgic attachment to both, but while I won't argue GB2 has some flaws, I think the good definitely outweighs the bad and it's still a winner. I won't argue it's better than the first or anything (I love both the same but understand thinking it isn't as good as the first), but it's still a solid follow-up, IMO.

Any others here who like it?

The reason it gets hate... even from me... is that it was influenced heavily by the cartoons and the fact the original was a hit with kids.

The original was an adult comedy, ok, not as racy as things like Animal House or The Blue Brothers... but Ghostbusters II is a prime example of Hollywood bending to viewer numbers.
They toned it down to cash in on a wider audience.

No smoking, no swearing and rather than subtle tongue in cheek sexual references between Venkman and Barrett like in the original, they wrote them all out completely...

The other thing the movie lacks is ad-libs. The whole thing is scripted. The original had a ton of stuff ad-libbed from the main trio Murray, Ramis and Aykroyd.

Agree Vigo was a great villain, but there were just too many cartoony elements to the film as a whole... and a wannabe Marshmallow Man in the form of a Slime-Powered Statue Of Liberty was just one step too far.

The reason it gets hate... even from me... is that it was influenced heavily by the cartoons and the fact the original was a hit with kids.

The original was an adult comedy, ok, not as racy as things like Animal House or The Blue Brothers... but Ghostbusters II is a prime example of Hollywood bending to viewer numbers.
They toned it down to cash in on a wider audience.

No smoking, no swearing and rather than subtle tongue in cheek sexual references between Venkman and Barrett like in the original, they wrote them all out completely...

The other thing the movie lacks is ad-libs. The whole thing is scripted. The original had a ton of stuff ad-libbed from the main trio Murray, Ramis and Aykroyd.

Agree Vigo was a great villain, but there were just too many cartoony elements to the film as a whole... and a wannabe Marshmallow Man in the form of a Slime-Powered Statue Of Liberty was just one step too far.

GB2 may not be as adult as the original but it still has quite a bit of subtle adult humor throughout and some very scary moments, like Vigo's scenes and the heads on the stakes. I'd argue GB2 in parts is actually arguaby scarier than the first, as even with the first movie's scary parts it still has a light, tongue-in-cheek tone throughout, whereas the second was arguably more serious in tone.

The orginal Ghosbuster is the best one, but I enjoyed watching Ghostbusters 2.

"Dana the guys are going down in the sewer to check for slime stuff. And Egon thinks there may even be a huge serge in cockroach breeding. Do you wanna blow off this dinner thing and go with them?"

I liked Ghostbusters II...

I wonder if next year with it being the first movie's 30th anniversary and the 25th for the second, wonder if GB2 might finally get a good edition on Blu-ray? It's always been barebones with past DVD releases, would be nice to see it get a decent edition for the anniversary.

With the news of Harold Ramis' recent unfortunate passing (still devastated from it, been a long-time fan of his), looks like GB3 will never happen :/ I honestly am okay with that, I think it's better to have one good sequel than a bunch of bad ones, and I always felt GB2 was a solid companion piece to the first movie, and there's always the animated series and video game, too.

The anniversaries of both movies is occuring this month (the original turns 30 on June 8th, GB2 turns 25 on the 16th). Anyone plan to watch them to celebrate? I'll watch them both on the 8th for sure, I work on the 16th but will try to make time for them again as well.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
It's definitely an underrated film. Ghostbusters 2 may not be as good as the first, but it's a worthy sequel, and still very funny. I disagree that the film is less adult than the original, it has plenty of crude and sexual humor throughout (and Sigourney Weaver in her bra, don't forget. LOL), and some good scares.

I actually would not mind a new Ghostbusters if it were done well. If anyone has read Max Landis' ideas for the film that he posted on Twitter, it would be a fun way to go.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

it has plenty of crude and sexual humor throughout (and Sigourney Weaver in her bra, don't forget. LOL)
I have always thought that scene was odd in the film.

"Mommy's gonna take her shirt off, too! YES!"
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	mommy.jpg
Views:	1673
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	15920  

Meanwhile, a big, pink thing is growing behind her as she does that.

I liked it, but nearly as much as the first Ghostbusters. It felt very much like a "II", and the whole Vigo thing didn't work very well.