HitchHikers Guide To The Galaxy. *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

→ in
Tools    

I saw this last week, not that impressed.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I dunno, saw this last night, and it made me laugh out loud several times, and I left with a smile on my face, thus it gets thumbs up from me. Deviates from the novel a bit, but then, it isn't a novel, it's a movie. Two different forms of entertainment with different possibilities.

Marvin the robot was hilarious, Sam Rockwell OWNED the entire movie, Martin Freeman was excellent, and I didn't mind the romantic angle at all (even though it bothers some people) simply because it's Zoey Deschanel as Trillian, and man, who wouldn't fall for her? She is perfect and adorable.

Oh, and the name Slartibartfast still makes me laugh as much as it did when i was ten years old and had read the books for the first time. heh.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
I dunno, saw this last night, and it made me laugh out loud several times
I only laughed once. there wasn't much laughter in the theatre where I saw it

Randomly visiting for now
I didn't mind the romantic angle at all (even though it bothers some people) simply because it's Zoey Deschanel as Trillian, and man, who wouldn't fall for her? She is perfect and adorable.
Was thinking the same thing myself .

Originally Posted by nebbit
I only laughed once. there wasn't much laughter in the theatre where I saw it
Half the theatre was laughing and half wasn't, It was pretty funny IMO

I dunno, saw this last night, and it made me laugh out loud several times, and I left with a smile on my face, thus it gets thumbs up from me. Deviates from the novel a bit, but then, it isn't a novel, it's a movie. Two different forms of entertainment with different possibilities.
I was laughing my ass off all along. The movie captured a lot of Douglas Adams' dry wit and irony and added a bit of Hollywood slapstick into the bargain (which wasn't too bad, but a bit out of character). I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

I agree 100% with what you said--I think the movie did an excellent job of adapting the novel into a feature length movie--extracting a coherent screenplay from an extremely scattered novel with a rambling style, while preserving its characteristic quirkiness, to some extent, and making a pretty sophisticated statement about the human condition in a hilariously downplayed fashion.

I really, really would like to see the rest of the novels adapted for the screen as well. My favorite sequence in the entire series is one about the alien civilization that sends all its middlemen and bureaucrats into outer space and strands them on what turns out to be prehistoric earth. That one's outrageously funny!

All in all, the movie can't be compared to the novels or the TV series or the radio show--apples and oranges. I think each of the cultural manifestations of the "Hitchhiker's Guide" has their own merits and charm.

What I'd really like to see, though, is a new TV series made out of the novels--one that accurately captures the novels' rambling style and preserves their contents. That should be awesome to watch.

I love 35mm ^_^
I thought it was kind of cute myself. I too loved the ending of it. It took my breath away. I love movies that have good endings. And Marvin was kinda cute. Always so sad, I kept picturing this manic depressed little man inside that robot.

I love Bill Nighy, in every film he does. They are often worlds apart, but i just love him. Especially Love Actually. ^_^

I haven't read the book, is that song in the book or is it new? (So Long and thanks for all the fish) I had to laugh..it was funny.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by darkhorse
Hilarious movie.

Actually, I thought the song was kind of catchy... "So long and thanks for all the fish..." pretty funny song and had a nice beat to it...

All in all, a very enjoyable movie-going experience--I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone, esp. to Douglas Adams afficionadoes!
Huzzah!

I agree!

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Huzzah!

I agree!
Wha...??!!

Somebody pinch me! I must be dreaming! Either that, or hell hath frozen over!

Just kiddin'! Glad to see we finally agree on something!

Somebody pinch me! I must be dreaming!
*pinch* WAKE UP, DJANGO! WAKE UP!

Originally Posted by Angel_of_Music
having not read the book for about 10 years, i think its quite good,
didn't really like john malkovich's character, but the love triangle thing ended up working well.
can anyone find the lyrics to "so long and thanks for all the fish" that song is hilarious
Yep, I've got most of them here:
http://the-yew.com/2005/05/so-long-t...sh-lyrics.html

Also, as that link might not be valid on a long term basis, you can go to http://the-yew.com and search for the May 5 2005 entry.

Hope that helps.

I love 35mm ^_^
I would love to make a flash from that song. If only I had the skills. But I am in film school and have live actors that would make it funny. Hmm...such ideas. I love that song. Its not on my MP3 player.

The People's Republic of Clogher
A lot of this new Hitchhikers made me smile, wistfully, and think back to just how good the Radio show/book/TV series was. The essence was there, just none of the substance. The cleverness was there, just none of the intelligence. The humour was there, just none of the wit.

The look was spot on, more Doctor Who than 2001, which worked. It's not supposed to be a 'kerrazzy British Comedy' though, more of a wry look at how the British see themselves - and didn't really succeed on either level...

Rockwell & Freeman were very good, Nighy superb. Mos Def and Zoey Deschanel stumbled through the whole thing looking like extras from Red dwarf.

They tried, I guess. Just not hard enough.

3/5 (mainly for the memories)

Oh My GAWD!

This movie was soooo boring. What was this movie about? I couldn't get into it - couldn't grasp the plot. I was just watching images. This movie was supposed to be funny, right? It was a strange and surreal experience - because I know I went to the movie theatre and saw a movie, though when I left it didn't feel like I had. Seriously - nothing clicked. I was ready to hitchhike to the House of Wax! Paris Hilton, pick me up.

During the opening credits, I saw that Warwick Davis was in the movie. Ooooh, how exciting, he plays THE LEPRECHAUN! When he finally came on screen, after some annoying buttass ugly monsters and a two headed nincompoop did, he was totally unrecognizable - because he was a robot - and totally depressed! What happened, Warwick? Leprechaun 7's not going to happen? No more hoods for you to terrorize?

I don't necessarily believe that Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is a bad movie - though maybe a lot of other people who are fans of the book/TV show think it is - I had no prior knowledge of the Hitchhiker universe when I went to see the film yesterday.

And I'm still not sure if I do now!

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Golgot
it's a streamlined sci-comedy.
Right, and to me, that is where it shined. I didn't have the expectations that others did because I haven't read the books (although I will soon). I found it to have such a fun carefree spirit and exciting visuals and gadgets, to the point that it was pure entertainment for me to the point that I didn't really care if it was funny or intelligent, I just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

However unlike many others I found Sam Rockwell to be extremely annoying as Zaphod.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Mos Def and Zoey Deschanel stumbled through the whole thing looking like extras from Red dwarf.

They tried, I guess. Just not hard enough.
Yeah...but I have to forgive her...because I'm in love with her.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
This movie was soooo boring. What was this movie about? I couldn't get into it - couldn't grasp the plot. I was just watching images. This movie was supposed to be funny, right? It was a strange and surreal experience - because I know I went to the movie theatre and saw a movie, though when I left it didn't feel like I had. Seriously - nothing clicked. I was ready to hitchhike to the House of Wax! Paris Hilton, pick me up.

I don't necessarily believe that Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is a bad movie - though maybe a lot of other people who are fans of the book/TV show think it is - I had no prior knowledge of the Hitchhiker universe when I went to see the film yesterday.

And I'm still not sure if I do now!
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is primarily satire, IMHO. The genre is "comedy science fiction" (in the words of the author, Douglas Adams). It was originally written in the tradition of Monty Python--it's the same sort of comedy. In fact, the author was a close acquaintance of the Monty Python crew, especially Graham Chapman, with whom he collaborated on several occasions.

Basically, you have to see this movie as a trip--it satirizes science fiction and science and makes a number of powerful comments on the human condition. It's loaded with irony and subtlety but not everyone is able to appreciate the humor. If you get the jokes (and there are plenty of them), it's the most hilarious, witty and insightful thing you ever saw (or read or listened to, depending on the medium). On the other hand, if you don't, it could come across as boring and pointless.

Hitchhiker was originally conceived as a radio play broadcast on BBC radio. Subsequently, it was adapted and expanded into a series of novels. The radio play was also released in album form and subsequently made into a TV miniseries, with many of the original cast. Only much later, and after the author's death in 2001, was the first novel finally made into a movie.

I agree with many that the movie does not capture the full Monty Pythonesque quirkiness and wit of the original TV show, radio play and novels. Still, to the average newcomer to the series, it is hilarious in its own right. It's a slightly dumbed down version of the original (which is why it suffers in the wit and irony department, when compared with the original) but, on the other hand, the special effects are a lot better thanks to CGI!

The TV show is pretty good, but the crude special effects kind of undermine it (the reason being that the visual effects are so important in this genre and, especially, in this piece). Actually, the TV show comes across kind of like a televised play. The acting is also pretty shoddy, to be honest. What I'd really like to see, though, is the entire series of novels made into a new TV series with up-to-date visual effects and some good acting for a change--acting that captures Douglas Adams' vision, wit, irony and insight! Just my two cents' worth!

Anyway, until then, the movie was fun to watch in it's own right! Not quite the same as the original, but not too bad for a Touchstone film! Enjoyable, entertaining and mildly hilarious!

Basically, you have to see this movie as a trip
Oh, so that's how you enjoy it. Shoot. Why didn't I lace my popcorn with something besides butter...

Oh, so that's how you enjoy it. Shoot. Why didn't I lace my popcorn with something besides butter...

What, you didn't?

What, you didn't?
No, actually I didn't have any popcorn at all when I went to see this movie. Right before, though, I did go to Subway and eat a footlong sweet online chicken teriyaki sub, with Cheetos and Coke. The aftertaste entertained me through this film.