Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance 7

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance 7
No rating?
Imo the first three are decent but quality does deteriorate from thereon in and the sixth sequel is quite awful

An Enemy of the People (Ganashatru) (1989) by Satyajit Ray

Adapted from an Ibsen play, An Enemy of the People, portrays science foray against religion and superstition. While the tropes seems relevant, the symbolism is quite thick. Not one Rays best film.

+

Satyajit Ray's films ranked:

1. Charulata (1964)
2. The World of Apu (1959)
3. The Music Room (1958)
4. Pather Panchali (1955)
5. Mahanagar (1963)
6. The Stranger (1991)
7. Aparajito (1956)
8. Devi (1960)
9. Abhijaan (1962)
10. An Enemy of the People (1989)
11. Sonar Kella (1974)

Son nom de Venise dans Calcutta désert (1976) by Marguerite Duras

The soundtrack from India Song combined with pictures of abandoned colonial building. A highly relevant commentary on the ghost of colonialism.

Marguerite Duras films ranked:

1. Baxter, Vera Baxter (1977)
2. India Song (1975)
3. Nathalie Granger (1972)
4. Détruire dit-elle (1969)
5. Son nom de Venise dans Calcutta désert (1976)
6. La musica (1967)
7. Le Camion (1977)

I saw a bit of The Transporter Refueled last night and was very disappointed. I didn't think Ed Skrein had enough acting ability or presence to make the role his own, which is a shame. I have seen something of Chris Vance in the TV series and thought he did a decent job but neither actor comes close to Jason Statham's Frank Martin. I prefer Statham's look, physical shape and especially his voice.

Primer (2004, Shane Carruth)

One of, if not the most confusing movie I've ever seen, for sure. I don't think I'd ever been more at sea while watching a film, ever.
It's really good though.

The Iron Horse (John Ford, 1924)

It's alright, certainly no reason to rail against it

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

An Enemy of the People (Ganashatru) (1989) by Satyajit Ray

Adapted from an Ibsen play, An Enemy of the People, portrays science foray against religion and superstition. While the tropes seems relevant, the symbolism is quite thick. Not one Rays best film.

+

I loved the version that Steve McQueen starred/produced.

Point Blank (1967)

A rewatch after a few years, Lee Marvin is just perfect in this. Gruff, effective. A great film as, even though the protagonist is so cold you identify with him. A fine line. Still hear his shoes clicking down the halls.

I wonder how many takes that took or if it was a complete one off? Spellbinding.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson, 2017)

I thought this was a mess. The dialogue was awful, attempts at humour not funny, the storyline itself ridiculous and all over the place. The direction was not interesting and I found it a chore to get through. I say this as someone who enjoyed the previous film to a degree.

Slacker (Richard Linklater, 1990)

What a great debut film. An absolute marvel considering the budget it was made on, from the very first scene it is evident the talent Linklater has. The script is so self-confident and so is the camerawork to go with it. The film has a great flow and feel to it, moving effortlessly between characters and conversations. For its entire length its engrossing and interesting, I'm glad I finally got round to this.

Searching for Sugar Man (Malik Bendjelloul, 2012)

The subject matter of the documentary is fascinating. The story really is bizarre, and makes for a fantastic feel-good journey, very surreal and moving in parts. I thought though that the structure was quite conventional and was left wanting more, the film could have used its format to explore some of the more interesting elements of the story, such as the character of Rodriguez himself.

A Scanner Darkly (Richard Linklater, 2006)

This one took a bit of getting used to, but by the end I was fully immersed in the nightmare would Linklater creates for Dick's novel. The rotoscoping creates a world that feels incredibly uneasy and nightmare-like, I see this as the antithesis to Waking Life in many ways in how the characters inhabit a living hell, a nightmare where they have no control. Like a really bad trip, this one puts you off ever doing drugs, the structure of the storytelling that at first feels disorientating all comes together for a powerful finale.

Even When I Fall (Sky Neal & Kate McLarnon, 2017) [Cinema]

A documentary about rescued slaves from circuses in Nepal, who come together and use their experiences to form a new circus in India, free of slavery, using their performances to promote their message and advance the lives of others they meet. A quite interesting story and a stark reminder of the horrors many people face across the world. I thought though that as an hour and half long film it struggled a bit, it needed more of a narrative focus to create a more interesting insight into some of the elements of the story instead of just feeling like an extended awareness video.

It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books (Richard Linklater, 1988)

An interesting precursor to Slacker that in many ways couldn't be much further from it, instead of focussing on a multitude of characters and conversations, this film focusses solely on Linklater's character as he completes various mundane tasks in his usual day-to-day life. The film might as well be called "It's Impossible to make movies..." and works as a statement to the power of cinema in capturing life. Like Slacker, despite the films limited content, Linklater is able to display a fantastic degree of self-confidence as a writer and director.

Woodshock (Lee Daniel & Richard Linklater, 1985)

A short that Linklater and his friend made about a local music festival. More of a little home movie capturing footage and playing around with fast editing and some effects in a psychedelic style. Forgettable.

Torn Curtain (Alfred Hitchcock, 1966)

A film with so many great ingredients such as its international spy plot, interesting characters and some fantastic scenes with Hitchock's usual great direction. It is clear though that the film is far from the finished article and Hitch's best. I was not surprised to read that he didn't want to cast either main actor (Julie Andrews is particularly bland) and had problems with the script, the shooting schedule and Bernard Herrmann. Some of the sequences lacked the usual incisive feeling that the editing and sound of Hitch's films usually deliver. Trim this by ten to twenty minutes, replace Andrews with Eva Marie Saint, use Herrmann's original score and you'd be looking at something close to a really great film.

Life (1999)

-

I loved most of it until the guys started to age and have makeup on. Eddie Murphy was king in the 80's; then he started doing either crappy or kid movies. This wasn't far from vintage Eddie and it was fun to watch. My wife kept commenting on how young he looked; then she kept commenting on why didn't I tell her the movie was 20 years old. Have always liked Martin Lawrence too, and they made a good pair. A funny movie with a nice way about it.

Welcome to the human race...
The Dead Don't Die -

about time they made a decent Bill Murray zombie movie

Boldly going.
Dam Busters (1955)
After watching the first 15 minutes,I found it so dry I skipped to the last act. It's almost as if the movie makers concentrated so much on historical accuracy that they forgot they were making a drama.
A remake is in sore need. Sure, we may not have the bombers anymore, but they could probably do a good job with CGI now.
6/10.

The Thief Of Bagdad (Raoul Walsh, 1924)
+
Quite magical at times though also a little bazaar at one point too

It: Chapter 2

Super excited seeing this on the big screen last night and had a blast

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.