Godoggo's 120 favorite movies

→ in
Tools    

Of course you get a rep for the amazing Rosemary's Baby. I'd put it more in the top five area though

You've lost me with the last 4, though I've not seen Stop Making Sense or Once. The Killing Fields I've not seen since the mid 80's. It was powerful stuff, but I was young, so I don't really remember it. Rosemary's Baby? No. I don't get it. I liked it more the last time I saw it, but as for it being scary. No. Just no.

A couple years back I saw Once, I thought it was an excellent film, both songwise and with the understated romance. Should rewatch.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
LOVE The Talking Heads and love Stop Making Sense. Greatest concert film ever.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Of course you get a rep for the amazing Rosemary's Baby. I'd put it more in the top five area though
I thought you would like that one.

Until the top ten, these are not in any kind of order. I tried to do that and it just didn't work for me. I'm putting them out there randomly in a way that a bunch of similar movies don't get grouped together.

95. Way of the Gun (2000 Christopher McQuarrie)

There's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Critically this was a flop and I'm not sure why. It has everything I want from this type of movie and more. The more being a whole lot of eye candy in the way of Benicio del Toro, Ryan Phillippe, Taye Diggs and Juliette Lewis.

Little bit of movie trivia: Benicio turned down the role in Before Night Falls to star in this movie. Wise choice. He is much better suited to this type of movie and Javier Bardem was the better choice for Falls.

96. The Exorcist (1973 William Friedkin)

Other movies have scared me, but this one terrorized me. Intellectually, I might not believe in demons, but I was in fear of them after watching this. It's still one of my go-to-movies when I want to freak myself out.

97. Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003 Robert Rodriguez)

Are you a Mexican or a Mexican't?

Over the top, silly, brutally violent, kinda looney and some of the most fun I've ever had watching a movie. Depp is gold.

Way Of The Gun and The Exorcist are both brilliant films. I've still not watched Once Upon a Time in Mexico, even though it's sitting on my shelf. I got it for a fiver with El Mariachi (which I loved in the 90's) and Desperado, which I didn't care too much for.

Once Upon A Time in Mexico is a good choice! I enjoyed the Exorcist but I'm not into horror.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Really need to watch Way of the Gun sometime now that it's appeared on your list in addition to Honeykid's. I loved Once Upon a Time in Mexico when it originally came out but for some reason not returned to it in nearly 10 years now. Will really need to do so

Oh and for Once in your previous post.

Glad to see some love for Once Upon a Time in Mexico. I'm pretty sure that it was in Iroquois worst of list and I can't remember anyone else mentioning it. It was one of those. movies that I immediately watched again the second it was over. Most definitely one of the most fun movies I have ever seen.

Honeykid, get to your shelf!! You've got some great stuff sitting there. I didn't like Desperado that much either. El Mariachi is o.k.

JayDee, It seems not everyone gets Once. I'm glad you do.

I've not seen it, but it's a cartoon about a rat in a kitchen, so there's three reasons already.
Cartoon? I'm interested. About a rat? I'm in!

Anyway, any sane person can see that it's a well-made film and can at the very least respect it for what it achieves technically, even if they don't care for cartoons or rodents. But then, we all know hk's not a sane person.

92. The Philadelphia Story (1940 George Cukor)

I believe that The Philadelphia Story is very close to being flawless. It's smart and funny with fresh, snappy, witty dialogue. If I was forced to choose my all time favorite actor, I'd have to go with Katharine Hepburn. I read somewhere that Tracy Lord was based on her, so maybe it wasn't much of a stretch, but man, what a magnetic personality she has.

The two male leads are wonderful as well. I love James Stewart in anything. Cary Grant and Hepburn have loads of chemistry and are so entertaining to watch.

93. Fiddler on the Roof (1971 Norman Jewison)

Fiddler on the Roof is good for many reasons, but the songs make it excellent. Not to mention the wonderful dance Tevye does as hae sings, "If I Were a Rich Man". Actually, Tevye makes the movie excellent himself. Some of the best moments in the film are his conversations with God.

94. The Little Mermaid (1989 Ron Clements John Musker)

You got to kiss de girl

Another childhood favorite that I will never outgrow. Usually in Disney movies, it's the sidekicks that make the movie for me. Not here. Ariel is fiesty and charming and I wanted to be exactly like her when I was a kid.

Little Mermaid also has the best songs of any Disney movie with maybe one or two exceptions.

I think The Excorsist and Fiddler on the Roof are both overrated, especially the second of the two. Haven't seen The Little Mermaid since elementary days.

I quite like The Philadelphia Story and I have an irrational love of Flounder. Actually, I have an irrational love of the toy. I have one of these.

I would have never of guessed you liked The Little Mermaid, HK. Or at least Flounder.

That makes me want to call my Dad and ask him what he has of mine packed away. I know I had that toy or something very similar. I also had more than one Ariel doll, a Sebastion stuffed animal, TLM sheets and a lampshade. I'd like to have them if they still exist.

I loved Disney when I had a single digit age but I had a bad surprise when I revisited The Lion King after nearly two decades, it was my favorite movie when I was 5, now it appeared quite mediocre. Did you find The Little Mermaid a better movie than the Lion King? It is also filled with songs and dance parts? I can't stand those parts.

Overall, I can only say that I have watched only 5 movies from the 26 you have already put there. One can notice that my top 100 favorites list is quite conservative (it has many favorites from Sign and Sound poll, for instance), but that's because I have only watched two types of movies: current trash blockbusters and the classics cherished by the critics (basically, movies pointed out by the critics and movies pointed out by publicity), so more experienced film lovers who have watched many thousands of movies will tend to have an increasing proportion of less well known movies in their favorites lists.