Godoggo's 120 favorite movies

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
By the way, if you're being fake polite with someone, you don't go back and tell them. Just kidding, I don't really care. I'm fine with anyone saying whatever they want to about my list. I would rather any discussion at all than none.

By the way, I went back and read some of your top 100, but not all. I'll probably start from the beginning so expect a resurrection as I expect I'll want to ccomment.
Was teasing. I love the lists in general, but particularly curious to see yours.

Oh no! No one has dragged my top 100 up for a while. Not sure how proud I am of it anymore. A lot will have changed and I am working on an updated list but curious as to what you think of some of it.

I've seen only snatch out of all the films which were mentioned.I'm interested in Halloween and Funeral.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I've seen only snatch out of all the films which were mentioned.I'm interested in Halloween and Funeral.
Both are great. The more I think about The Funeral, the better I think it is. You should watch it. Based on your list, I think you'll really like it.

The Funeral shocked the heck out of me. Very disturbing ending. I'm not too crazy about the picture as a whole, though; it's uneven imo and even kind of boring at times, but it's definitely worth a watch.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

104. Bad Education (2004 Pedro Almodovar)

Bad Education is a story of molestation, the Catholic religion, love and sex all twisted up and told the way only Almodovar can tell it. One of my favorite things about Almodovar is how he connects the characters to each other in a way that I understand clearly what motivates them. Almodovar is all about his characters and good or bad it shows that he cares for them deeply.

By the way, that's Gael Garcia Bernal in the picture above making his second appearance in my list. He's an extremely talented actor and one of my favorites.

The Funeral shocked the heck out of me. Very disturbing ending. I'm not too crazy about the picture as a whole, though; it's uneven imo and even kind of boring at times, but it's definitely worth a watch.
I didn't see it as uneven. It's a movie that had to grow on me though. I remember not being that crazy about it on first viewing, but I still felt compelled to watch it almost immediately again.

Well, I own it but it's been quite some time since I watched. I actually mean to give it another view sooner or later, but I got such a huge list of movies to see that I rarely re-watch most films within a couple years after first viewing unless I really love them, those go-to movies that I'll put on to watch whenever I get the craving for them again.

102. How To Train Your Dragon (2010 Chris Sanders, Dean Deblois)

Everything we know about you guys is wrong

I really regret leaving this off my millenium list. I guess I hadn't seen it enough, but I've since seen it two more times and I know this will be one of my favorites for a long time.

I keep hearing about how this is almost as good as anything Pixar has done. I will say that it's better than at least three of them. At its heart it's a story about the friendship between a boy and his dragon. A sentiment that is both timeless and pure.

There's the simple life lessons for the kids. Hiccup (I love that name, someday I will name something that) is a misfit who learns to be true to himself while others around him learn to be accepting of him. No matter how simplistic or cliche, it's still a good moral for children and one that doesn't hurt adults to be reminded of.

Finally, I just love the dragons. Toothless is one of the best critters to emerge in a long time.

103. The Sound of Music (1965 Robert Wise)

I don't have much to say other than I love this movie. I love the songs, the story, Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer. This and The Wizard of Oz are the first movies I have a conscious memory of. I've always loved them both and I always will.

I've not been interested in Almodovar since the early/mid 90's. Sorry, but I hate The Sound Of Music. I think the end's really sad... When the Nazi's don't catch them.

Big thumbs up for How To Train Your Dragon. Also, I agree that it's better than several of Pixar's flicks (namely Brave, A Bug's Life, Cars 2 and *gasp* the first two Toy Story movies). Dreamworks doesn't have the best track record when it comes to their animation, but every now and then they get it really right.

As for the other film, I'll have to agree with hk.

Your second strong pick (in my eyes! ) of the list with How To Train Your Dragon. Great little film.

Big thumbs up for How To Train Your Dragon. Also, I agree that it's better than several of Pixar's flicks (namely Brave, A Bug's Life, Cars 2 and *gasp* the first two Toy Story movies).
Girl you crazy!!! I love HTTYD but that's going a bit far in my eyes.

Big thumbs up for How To Train Your Dragon. Also, I agree that it's better than several of Pixar's flicks (namely Brave, A Bug's Life, Cars 2 and *gasp* the first two Toy Story movies). Dreamworks doesn't have the best track record when it comes to their animation,
Those were the movies I was thinking of when I said HTTYD was better than at least three Pixar movies, except I was thinking of the first Cars and not the second as I haven't seen that one yet. I thought you might like this movie. I couldn't remember you saying anything about it, but it seems up your alley.

HK, I knew I would lose you on this set. I'll gain you on others just to lose you once again.
We either seem to love the same movie, or have diametrically opposed view points.

JayDee, 2 out of 18 isn't that bad as far as I'm concerned. Maybe you'll like two of the next 18.

Well, How To Train Your Dragon was better for me than Toy Story 3, Brave and Finding Nemo, tanking into account the Pixar films I watched recently. It was definetly weaker than Up, Wall-E and Ratatouille and about equivalent to The Incredibles. I haven't watched the old Toy Story movies for a decade now.

It's really down to personal preferences for me. I could understand someone placing The Incredibles, Toy Story or Ratatouille higher than How to Train Your Dragon (and technically I do feel they are better movies), but I like Dragon better than all those. A story about a misfit Viking kid making friends with a Dragon is just going to have a lot of appeal to me.

Girl you crazy!!! I love HTTYD but that's going a bit far in my eyes.
The crazy bit is that she left of the worst of the three. I don't know if it's better than any of them, but I know the first two Toy Story's are better than the third.

As for losing and gaining me, Godoggo, I think you're doing well just to gain me. Looking forward to the next set just to see which way I'll jump.

JayDee, 2 out of 18 isn't that bad as far as I'm concerned. Maybe you'll like two of the next 18.
2 out of 18 but most I haven't seen so it's not a negative view of your list. Actually I've only seen 4 from the whole list! Those 2 are just the ones I absolutely love. Science of Sleep is good but Halloween is one I really disliked when I watched it a while back.

100. Stop Making Sense (1984 Jonathan Demme)

I don't know many people who aren't a fan of The Talking Heads to some degree. I think they are phenomenal. Since I was far too young to see them live, (this documentary was released the year of my birth) I am so glad this documentary exists so that I at least have some feeling of what it was like to see them live. David Byrne is a joy to watch with his endless eccentric energy and enthusiasm.

101. Once ( 2006 John Carney)

What's the Czech for "Do you love him?"

Once proves that sometimes the most simple of movies are the ones that evoke the most emotions.

98. The Killing Fields (1984 Roland Joffe)

The Killing Fields is a movie that works on many levels. It's a powerful as a political film about journalists covering the civil war in Cambodia. It's also a film about loyalty and friendship and a very touching human interest story about Dith Pran who elects to stay in Cambodia after the other journalists pull out.

Haing S. Ngor gives such a heartfelt performance as Dith Pran. If you don't know anything about Haing's real life, I suggest you watch this and then read about him. It makes his portrayal of Pran that much more meaningful.

99. Rosemary's Baby (1968 Roman Polanski)

He has his father's eyes!

I've already said many times on the forum about how truely scary I think Rosemary's Baby is. Polanski does a great job of taking us on a journey with Rosemary as her life turns from familiar and known into unfamiliar and sinister. Her paranoia becomes so overwhelming it's almost palpable.

I can't imagine watching this pregnant. I think I'd have to have an ultrasound on a daily basis.