Piper Laurie passed at aged 91

Tools    

I was very saddened to hear about Piper Lauie's passing on October 14. I fell in love with Piper's "Sarah" in The Hustler, and spent years looking for someone like her. When I did, it didn't work out too well...

I never could understand why she wasn't deluged with film offers after her role in The Hustler (1961), and having subsequently gotten a Best Actress Oscar nomination for that part. She moved back to NYC and did TV and stage work. Her next movie wasn't until Carrie (1976), from which she again got an Oscar nomination.

She had a great career, and her work will certainly be remembered.

The first thing I ever saw Piper Laurie in greatly impressed me, both because of the story and her portrayal of a young alcoholic woman in the Playhouse 90 presentation of Days of Wine and Roses (1958) Wikipedia link That was a live TV teleplay. It's available on The Internet Archives link I believe that's a kinescope recording done at the time of broadcast by filming a tv monitor. It's not good quality but the story and the acting is well worth it.

Of course I loved her in The Hustler and her storyline was my favorite part of the movie. But sadly I haven't seen her in much else. I see after she did The Hustler she did alot of TV roles and teleplays. She had a substantial role in the western Dawn at Socorro and ironically played the same sort of self destructive character as she played in The Hustler.

Rest in peace, Piper.

First time I really took note of her was in Tim, an Australian movie from the 70's, with a young Mel Gibson opposite her. And later of course she was in Twin Peaks, after which began to pay more attention to her work elsewhere.

Sorry to hear this. Besides her more famous roles already mentioned, I really liked her in the comedy Eulogy (2004), where she played an eccentric matriarch of a dysfunctional family, and an episode of Frasier (1999) where she played the bitter mother of a mean "psychiatrist", Dr. Nora (Christine Baranski). Laurie was hilarious in that one. Godspeed, Piper.

Brilliant actress who never had the career she deserved. Margaret White was one of Hollywood's scariest characters. RIP.
It's interesting: I read somewhere that when first reading the script of Carrie, Laurie said she thought it was a comedy. In fact during shooting she tried to give her part a comic edge, but that the director dissuaded her.

There was nothing funny about that movie and her characterization was a perfect blend of creepy and pathetic, no comic edge there. On my list of favorite movie villains, Margaret White clocked in at #3.